mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Barnegat Branch Rail trail Berkeley Twp

Just got home from a real nice ride on the Berkeley section. We biked from CentrL ave to Cedar Creek trestle to Dudly Park. Some houses are visible but the ride south of Serpentine Ave is the nicest part of the ride. paved entrances and black gravel make the ride nice. There is a small parking lot on the corner of Serpentine and Princeton Ave. There are park benchs scattered about....def worth checking out!

mtbr member

How long is it now?

I checked on-line and it appears that the trail is now about 5.5 miles in one direction. Does this sound right? Since I'm in Ortley Beach all summer, it might be worth at least one ride. Is the whole trail paved? I have both a hardtail and road bike to use at the shore so I'm curious which to bring.

Thanks for the info.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hi Rev,
    You can bring either bike. My daughter was on her road bike and I was on the hard tail with no problems. The entrances/exits are paved for about 25 feet then black pea gravel the rest of the way on each section. Fun ride with the highlights at the end...Cedar Creek and the boardwalk path to Dudley Park where there is a picnic area. If you want you can PM me beforehand and if i'm not busy, I can ride it with you or anybody else who is interested.
    PIctures to come......

mtbr member

Thanks

I would take you up on the PM except I will not have internet access at our place.

Actually, it sounds like the hardtail would be ideal. I won't be down for the summer until July 1. I retire on 6/30 and don't plan to do much of anything for the next three months except ride and surf.

I also like to get off to Allaire when I'm tired of the road bike.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I can give you my number any time you want it. Maybe you can show me aroud Allaire? I have daughter who got back a month ago from a cross country 5000 mile ride who is my inspiraton for getting back on a bike after a 28 break!

mtbr member

Sound Good.

I'll save this post and get back in June when I'm closer to being down south. Love to have someone to ride Allaire with.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Here are some pics from a ride I took with my wife....

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

pic

parking lot at Serpentine and Princeton Ave.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Barnegat Branch Rail trail Berkeley Twp-photo0167.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

pic2

Historic Cedar Creek trestle...the end of the Berkeley portion at the south end...the trestle is being evaluated structurally as it was partially burned by vandals. I met an 81 yo train engineer who useded to drive the train on this route. He said he used to park the train just south of the treste and he and the conductor would go swimming in the creek in the summer!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Barnegat Branch Rail trail Berkeley Twp-photo0168.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2011

pic 3

this little wooden bikeway will lead youto Wm Dudlley perk which has picnic tables etc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Barnegat Branch Rail trail Berkeley Twp-photo0169.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Mike (and Bubba)
    Thanks for the pics and info on the Barnegat RT. Wife and I will check it out. Since you seem to be in the area have you checked out Jakes Branch Co Park in Berkley Twp.? Its just down the road from Double Trouble SP and has 5 mi. of hiking /biking trails that are relitively easy. Pat and I are at Allaire a lot so if you see a Big , Green, Snot Rocket tandem be sure to say hello. We would be happy to show either or both of you the areas we know in Allaire. Also the Tuesday night JORBA rides in Allaire are very fun and at a beginner pace.
    Here is a link to a vid we shot at Jakes in February.

http://vimeo.com/21158390

Regards,
    Ed and Pat Gifford
    the Snot Rocket tandem

mtbr member

Double Tree Riding

Anyone do much riding at Double Tree?

I did a road ride in the area last summer and wandered onto the trails with the road bike but it was too sandy to be much fun. I was wondering how much riding, even on fire roads, was available for the hardtail. It looks like it could be fun to explore. I've been to Double Tree on foot but never went past the cranberry bogs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    If you mean Double Trouble we ride there as a last resort as the roads are all double track fire roads and there is a fair amount of dog walkers. Jakes Branch just up the road is a better choice.
    Ed Gifford

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Drive by Jakes branch every day....never been in there. Are the bike trails all paved? What is better a roadie or mtb?
    Mike

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebike56
    Drive by Jakes branch every day....never been in there. Are the bike trails all paved? What is better a roadie or mtb?
    Mike
    Jakes is fairly small. About 5 miles of multi use trail, not paved. They do have a very cool park office with an observation deck. If you look at the video I attached to my reply yesterday you will see most of the trail conditions. Its not technical and a good amount of fun. We generally ride the blue trail both directions from the office parking lot. Thats where the trailhead is and maps are available there. Let me know what you think.
    Ed and Pat
    the Snot Rocket tandem

mtbr member

Ooops. Yes, Double Trouble

Showing my age..........