Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1
    Make some music
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    658

    ATV Illegal Use Reporting

    Illegal ATV use and Illegal Dumping Telephone numbers:

    *** For Northern State Park lands and WMA's call 1-877-WARN-DEP first. This leaves a record of the call. ***

    Morris County Parks - Morris County Park Police 973-326-7654

    Allamuchy State Parks lands - Mooch, Deer Park, Stephens - 973-398-7010 (Park Office and State Park Police)

    Northern Wma's (such as the wma's surrounding Mahlon)
    - call Captain Charles Fletcher, Conservation Officer, Bureau of Law Enforcement, D.E.P. Northern Region Office 908-735-8240

    *** For Northern State Park lands and WMA's call 1-877-WARN-DEP first. This leaves a record of the call. ***

    It is a 24 hr hotline for the D.E.P. and State Park. This number is also posted on signs surrounding Allamuchy S.P. lands.

    In an instance such as Allamuchy I will call both the park office, the DEP and the town police in the vicinity.

    Town police #'s
    Byram Township Police - (973) 347-4008 (Main Number)
    Mount Olive Twp. Police - Phone: (973) 691-0850

    Please post up other town police #'s that border riding areas.

    The important thing is to work up tactics to find out where atv's enter and exit the parks and to use the numbers.
    Last edited by Stratocaster; 05-27-2008 at 12:41 PM.
    J.O.R.B.A. More than just tm. WWW.JORBA.ORG

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    226
    Snitches get stitches!!!

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NJ_DD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by olegbabich
    Snitches get stitches!!!
    I see that you posted that on both forums...what do you mean by it? that we shouldn't call if we see ATV's in the woods where they aren't legal?

    I'm with Strat...I don't like putting in hours of TM each year to see my work destroyed by ATVers.

  4. #4
    thats my red stapler
    Reputation: jimjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    408
    why cant we all just get along?
    [SIZE=2]when the going gets tough the world gets reduced to one pedal stroke at a time[/SIZE]

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    647

    Sadly no we cant...

    Thanks Strat for posting up this! Fact is ATV use is illegal in most state parks. If people what to reide there legally they should do the work needed. They are not entitled!

    I say bust 'em! BTW when calling make sure to give a good description of the rider and ATV. All is will take is one ATC getting busted and the rest should stay home!!!

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    749
    I did nearly 25 miles yesterday in Allamuchy yesterday and saw exactly 1 mountian biker, and a 8 atv's/mototrcycles. I actually took a picture with my cell phone of the group of 4 coming in from Cranberry Ledge. (yellow gate). I also ran into a quad going up the new ditch bypass. The group of 3 near the limbo trail didn't seem to have a care in the world in regards to bbeing in a S.P. illegally.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    428
    I dont blame ATVers or motorcycle riders, there are no actually trails in the state for them to use! It isnt a matter of the user group making trail ether, considering it is ileagel to ride in the State.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: skibum1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    162

    Yep

    I say f*ck the ATV's and narc em out. We've all invested too much time and energy into this.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    428
    Quote Originally Posted by skibum1
    I say f*ck the ATV's and narc em out. We've all invested too much time and energy into this.
    The MNT bike comunity is next after eco nazis get ride of ATV's and motorcycles.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    647

    I dnto get it...

    Quote Originally Posted by Fox787
    The MNT bike comunity is next after eco nazis get ride of ATV's and motorcycles.

    Based on this and your other post...dont get it. So therea re no legal places for motos/quads to ride so dont try and forma a lobby group (oh, one already exists)? So just ride illegally and thats ok? The eco nazis, as you put it, have had mnt bikes in their sights all along. WE have organized and put in the effort, and with a few exception have proven that we are a viable user group.

    I posted this on the other board and did not get a legit resp, what are we to do then just stop TM in those parks where there is moto/quad use? Ok there was some mention of the other board of making tight tech trails, well we have and there are quad tracks on that to!

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    181
    I just think it's hypocritical to have the same atitude towards moto riders that the hikers & horse people have towards mountain bikers.

    Whatever though, it's a free country, you can rat & I can warn them, God bless America

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    647

    Not hypocritical at all...

    Quote Originally Posted by NJMX835
    I just think it's hypocritical to have the same atitude towards moto riders that the hikers & horse people have towards mountain bikers.

    Whatever though, it's a free country, you can rat & I can warn them, God bless America

    When you consider it is an illegal activiy on public land, and (for me at least) when you have 3 motos sitting in your garage! Yeah, would I like to ride in the Park of course, but it is not legal!

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    428
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob W
    Based on this and your other post...dont get it. So therea re no legal places for motos/quads to ride so dont try and forma a lobby group (oh, one already exists)? So just ride illegally and thats ok? The eco nazis, as you put it, have had mnt bikes in their sights all along. WE have organized and put in the effort, and with a few exception have proven that we are a viable user group.

    I posted this on the other board and did not get a legit resp, what are we to do then just stop TM in those parks where there is moto/quad use? Ok there was some mention of the other board of making tight tech trails, well we have and there are quad tracks on that to!
    I can agree with the quad argument, they ruin everything and there is nothing you can do to stop them. But at the same time there are several groups that are trying to make legal trail systems in NJ but are being struck down by eco nazis. Although it isnt legal for people to ride on state parks, they pay taxes on the land just like everyone else which makes them feel entitled to it.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ponyexpress's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    33
    Although I detest motorized bikes because they are loud as hell and can do real destruction to trails, I have had mixed feelings about this issue. They should have just as much right to use public lands as the rest of us, but I really think that user group needs dedicated areas. I can also understand the "F*** the law" attitude, as there are countless idiotic laws that go ignored and unenforced. But at the end of the day, any user group needs to go through proper channels to get what they want just like the rest of us. If they want trails, they need to organize, lobby, and negotiate to the satisfaction of everyone. If we keep reporting illegal ATV use in parks, maybe we'll indirectly be doing them a service by making the Parks Service aware of the need for ATV trails.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    428
    Quote Originally Posted by ponyexpress
    Although I detest motorized bikes because they are loud as hell and can do real destruction to trails, I have had mixed feelings about this issue. They should have just as much right to use public lands as the rest of us, but I really think that user group needs dedicated areas. I can also understand the "F*** the law" attitude, as there are countless idiotic laws that go ignored and unenforced. But at the end of the day, any user group needs to go through proper channels to get what they want just like the rest of us. If they want trails, they need to organize, lobby, and negotiate to the satisfaction of everyone. If we keep reporting illegal ATV use in parks, maybe we'll indirectly be doing them a service by making the Parks Service aware of the need for ATV trails.
    There are groups trying to make legal spots in NJ but they ate all being struck down by enviromentalists. Were trying to get an old strip mine convereted into a OHV area but there a certain speciacs of frogs that pperently live there so we cant use that spot.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Superstar.NJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    13
    I could be wrong but wasn't it one of those nasty motorcycle clubs that made most of trails we ride at Allamuchy?

    Mike

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    226
    Dirt bikes have been around longer than mountain bikes. So stay on the road you NJ ECO NAZI !!!!

  18. #18
    Victim of Saddle Rage
    Reputation: cannonballtrail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    619

    tis true what they say

    Tis true, I've been riding the Muchy since the beginning and owe some of the better trails to the off-roaders. There must be a way we can all coexist in harmony and fight the common enemies of all: the Sierra Club, Eco Nazis, belligerent angry hikers and so forth. No one group should be banished to the road, however irresponsible ATVs and other Off-roaders make quick work of good single track. They need their own trail systems, organizations, pay-dirt programs and so on.. and it would be in our best interests to help and not stoop to the same level as our hiking friends and report a father and son enjoying a sunday afternoon together on an ATV.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: NJ_DD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by cannonballtrail
    .. and it would be in our best interests to help and not stoop to the same level as our hiking friends and report a father and son enjoying a sunday afternoon together on an ATV.
    Do you really think that is a good lesson for a father to teach a son?? that is ok to disregard laws simply because you don't agree with them? Maybe a better idea would be for the father and son to volunteer and organize to get their own areas to ride in LEGALLY !

    Personally, I just spent 4 hours doing TM in the rain on Saturday with 15 other people, so I don't really appreciate people in there destroying what volunteers either fixed or made simply because they don't give a crap about following laws. It would be a hell of a society if everyone did just what they wanted to do, without regard for the laws of the land, simply because they knew they probably wouldn't get caught.

  20. #20
    Victim of Saddle Rage
    Reputation: cannonballtrail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    619

    don't misread posts

    Duh, "Help" meant help them to organize and build a legal trail system separate from ours as you have said vs. reporting or being hostile towards other trails users. Language causes way to many problems

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    428
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ_DD
    Do you really think that is a good lesson for a father to teach a son?? that is ok to disregard laws simply because you don't agree with them? Maybe a better idea would be for the father and son to volunteer and organize to get their own areas to ride in LEGALLY !
    Do you really think NJ will get another LEGAL place to ride? People have been trying to make places to ride, but as soon as the word ATV is mentioned, here come the environmentalists.

  22. #22
    Cat Herder
    Reputation: gustavej's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    107
    Bottom line is that ATVs are much more destructive, "eco-nazis" are after both of us, but mountain bikers shouldn't lose trails because of association with ATVs, when in fact the footprint of biking is actually similar to hiking.
    It's never too late to re-invent the bicycle

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •