mtbr member

Anyone ride 29ers in nj particulary in ringwood?

Just curious on how these bikes ride on this type terrain, particularly the niner jet 9, dw sultan, and other dual sus 29ers...

Victim of Saddle Rage
    I live out west and spend some of my summers in NJ. Last Oct. I switched to 29ers with my purchase of a Niner Air 9, Lenz Leviathan, and Lynskey 29 custom. 29ers seemed like a clear advantage on the fast open terrrain out here and really shine in the deep sand, rocky ledgy climbs and descents, the loose rock, and the fast desert terrain.

Yet in NJ the feeling was a bit different. At Chimney Rock, where the pace is slower and the trails are very inconsistent, the 29er felt sluggish. You have to accelerate and decelerate too often to really bring out the advantages in the 29er wheel. At Ringwood, Ramapo, and Waywayanda I would say it is a tie between 29er and 26er. The 26er actually climbs a bit better on the tight switchbacks by Shepards Lake in Ringwood and on the Cannonball Trail after Bear Swamp since 29er is inept when it comes to direction changes. At Hartschorn, Allaire, Lewis Morris, Stewart, South Mountain, and Kittitiney the 29er was the clear winner. I am undecided about Blue Mnt. and Allamuchy. The loose descents and rock gardens were easier on the 29er, but east coast trails tend to have very tight turns and quick challenging steep climbs with zero momentum that are sometimes easier on 26er.

Overall, I think I was happier on the 29ers this year and felt confident on any terrain, but the huge advantages that the 29er brings out west are far less in Jersey. I did feel less beat up after my rides on the 29er hardtail vs. a 26er and was able to connect an epic Ringwood and Ramapo loop of 35+ miles with lots of energy to spare. This year I will be taking the 29er hardtails and leaving the fully behind or taking a Turner 26er. If there were more tire and bike choices, I would seriously consider a 650b as a perfect Jersey bike.
    " the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." C&H

mtbr member
    have you ever ridden a fully suspended 29er?

Recovering
    29ers are great on North Jersey terrain. 26ers are great on North Jersey terrain. There's no perfect bike, only bikes that suit different styles of riders.

I can take my 29er full suspension bike out to Ringwood/Ramapo and get a completely different ride out of the trails than I get when I take my long-travel 26er out there. Both types of rides are fun.

So what are you looking for in a bike? Racing? Trailbike? Light freeride? Fun rides with friends? Versatile? Finely tuned for a specific use?
    Former New Yorker, now in Fort Collins
    http://www.nycmtb.com

Victim of Saddle Rage
    The Lenz Leviathan is a full suspension 29er with 3" rear travel. Great bike at 22 lbs. Probably the best racing 29er fully on the market. I use the fully only when I am really beat up.

Here were my choices and test rides:

The niner jet 9 -- Very tight handling for a 29er fully and a fun ride. The weight is ok, but you can use the carbon DT swiss rear shock to shave some grams. This suspension design is acceptable without platform.

The sultan -- Very stable ride with a long wheelbase. Lots of fun for hammering on XC and AM, but not the best climber and a bit heavy. The sultan would rock on the yellow trail in Ramapo and through the rock gardens along bear swamp in ringwood.

Lenz Leviathan -- super light, requires platform, and is a true race fully. Climbs as well as a hardtail.

Intense Spider -- Very stretched out with a long top tube. Fast aggressive position. I hated it. Left me with a back ache.

Niner rip -- Super plush, but really overkill for most trails.

Ventana -- El Rey. The bike is very conservative and feels like an adapted 26er. Extremely stable and well built. Similar to the sultan. Also a bit heavy.
    " the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." C&H

mtbr member
    wow can you post a pic i would love to see what a 23 pound 29er looks like, what are the specs like? i am so new to this im amazed at these bikes...

carpe diem
    Jan 2004

RIP9 and SIR9

Quote Originally Posted by david8613
    Just curious on how these bikes ride on this type terrain, particularly the niner jet 9, dw sultan, and other dual sus 29ers...
    I've been riding a SIR9 for two years before building up my RIP9 which is what I ended up riding all of last year. Mostly in Ringwood. I think 29'ers ride great in Ringwood. It really depends on on your preference. I do have some issues with super tight turns, but I blame that on my own skills.

The SIR9 is great. I ran it single speed and it helped me to improve my biking skills. But some extra suspension and gears helps me to keep up with my riding buddies. The RIP9 makes the downhills alot of fun and the uphills are just fine with this suspension. The JET9 would be fast and fun.

Since going to 29'ers, I prefer them. But everyone is different and 26'ers are just fine too. You have to give it a spin and see if it's for you.

mtbr member
    I'm in south jersey, just picked up my first 29er.

mtbr member
    What did you get? How does she ride?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Im central NJ .. I just picked up my first 29er as well.

Last edited by nismosr; 06-25-2009 at 03:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I just got a on-one inbred 29er...awesome in ringwood..it just eats up everything.

danger! danger!
    29ers & Ringwood = made for each other
    Attached Images Attached Images
    aka - VelocityBoy

mtbr member
    I've seen you and that bike over at Ringwood. The bike looks great and you seem to be ripping it up. Never tried a 29er though let alone at Ringwood.