FIX IT YOURSELF

Anyone feeling like Cru Jones?

Any locals feeling lucky? This should be very fun (to watch)!! I'm wondering how they will route the track....Hamilton side only.....Hamilton into West Windsor???? Anyone with some insight????

http://blog.nj.com/timesupdates/2007...at_mercer.html
    Eye Am In The Meat !!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by spencer the kalmyk
    Any locals feeling lucky? This should be very fun (to watch)!! I'm wondering how they will route the track....Hamilton side only.....Hamilton into West Windsor???? Anyone with some insight????

http://blog.nj.com/timesupdates/2007...at_mercer.html
    That doesn't sound like hell-track to me.

Still pretty cool though.

i want spring!
    Hell track, hell yea, you gotta snake yer bike thru all the traffic on Quakerbridge rd, at peak mall time traffic and then negioate all the traffic on Hughes Drive when there's soccer games and then the course filters thru handlebar forest in mercer county park. a steepchase course... wtf!
    Check out all these mountain biking t-shirts, hats, sweatshirts by Trail Hog today!

FIX IT YOURSELF
    Quote Originally Posted by Clutch
    That doesn't sound like hell-track to me.

Still pretty cool though.
    It's great to see old school bmxers come out of the wood works!!! Remember when Redline had the monster three piece crank.......P.K. Rippers had the plastic screw on bar going across the handlebars....Short track racing in Flemington in the 80's was the shite....Sorry but feeling a little nestalgic.....Does anyone out there remember M&D Bike shop in Flemington.....It stood for Marc and Dad.....This def was a BMXER paradise.....I wish I still had my Elf I bought from them in 84
    Eye Am In The Meat !!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Remember Those Days Vividly

I was a regular shopper at M & D Bikes - bought my GT Pro frame there as well as my white Tuff Wheels, Haro racing pants, and Mongoose Pro Class Wheels (remember the rims with the holes drilled between the spoke nipples?) for racing behind the Hunterdon County Library. Going way back I remember when Haro only made number plates and Oakley made goggles and grips (by the way, Ergon grips are a rip-off of Oakley 3 grips).

Also attended Camp Woodward back when they started their BMX program and got to meet some of the pros from the early and mid-80's that worked there. I could go on for hours.

Would probably still be tooling around on a BMX bike to some degree, but at 6'2" those bikes are a bit cramped. Hopefully one of my kids gets into it when they're a little older.

FIX IT YOURSELF
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike679
    I was a regular shopper at M & D Bikes - bought my GT Pro frame there as well as my white Tuff Wheels, Haro racing pants, and Mongoose Pro Class Wheels (remember the rims with the holes drilled between the spoke nipples?) for racing behind the Hunterdon County Library. Going way back I remember when Haro only made number plates and Oakley made goggles and grips (by the way, Ergon grips are a rip-off of Oakley 3 grips).

Also attended Camp Woodward back when they started their BMX program and got to meet some of the pros from the early and mid-80's that worked there. I could go on for hours.

Would probably still be tooling around on a BMX bike to some degree, but at 6'2" those bikes are a bit cramped. Hopefully one of my kids gets into it when they're a little older.

Great point Mike....Ergon grips are an Oakley rip off....Where was camp Woodward????
    Eye Am In The Meat !!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Camp Woodward is in Woodward, PA in the middle of nowhere Amish-ville. I think it is still in operation. When I went there, half of the camp was a BMX training camp and the other was gymnastics (bit of an odd mix). They had an awesome track, a small indoor track inside of a Butler building, and a fiber glass quarter pipe the second year that I went.

We basically spent all day, every day riding the track or working on freestyle moves. They had clinics run by pros that would stop at the camp for a few days at a time. It was fun as hell. The second year I was there, the GT Freestyle team was there for a few days (Martin Aparijo, Rick Alison, and Beetle Roscerans) to offer pointers.

I think these days it has expanded to skateboarding, roller blading, and is more geared toward BMX freestyle/vert type of stuff rather than racing. Probably expensive as hell too.

FIX IT YOURSELF
    Mike- Those guys I used to idolize.....when ever the new BMX PLUS came out I would cut the pictures out and hang on my wall......My two racer favs were Eric Rupe and Stu Thompson ( Stu had the nicest Huffy ever made ).....Check this out Mike I think it's kind of random what Rick Alison is up to now-a-days

http://www.hutch-bikes.com/hutch_team.htm
    Eye Am In The Meat !!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Cru Jones. Damn. I thought I was the only geek who actually still watched Rad.

"It's Sgt. Smith, and he wants to play." Anyone remember that scene? In the log yard? Classic movie.

Send me an angel.....right now!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rutkiller
    Send me an angel.....!
    LOL! I remember that part...................

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    It's still not on DVD, but the whole thing is on google video.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

good times...

M&D bike shop....how did I stumble onto this one? I used to be the Bachardy's (M&D) neighbor as a kid. Mark was my age. Lived for the bike back then. Used to race at the Flemington track, drool daily over Mark's bikes, and hit the practice gate / table top jump in his back yard. Good times!

FIX IT YOURSELF
    So you know Mark ah.....He and I played for the Pioneers....Are they still in Flemington...Mark did have sick bikes.....Where did you live in F-ton....I was at the foot of Thatcher near Dave Kessock and some kid named Randy but can't quite remember his last name....Kessock had the old GT Mach One in purple but tricked it out like a freestyle bike with the rotor, three sets of pegs, etc etc etc
    Eye Am In The Meat !!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Mark

I lived on Old Croton Road, right across the street from the Bachardy's house. Nothing but good times back then. The Pioneers...my brother played with that league. Mark's bikes...sick - the best of any components you could buy. This is going way back.. over 20 years.