mtbr member

Ringwood riding after work these days? (Pics added)

Hello everybody,
    I'll be spending about 4-5 weeks at a client in Montvale, NJ starting the last week of August. I did a similar thing last year and many of you helped me out in this thread:
    Riding near Montvale, NJ: Please Help!

I was planning on shipping my bike once again, and go riding after work, which usually gets me to Lot C in Ringwood at about 6:00-6:15pm or so.
    In the beginning of September, that's not too bad,
    but as September wears on, that doesn't leave for much daylight riding.

I will bring my light as I did last year, but I was wondering if I could beg any of you to ride with me and show me around. I had a tough time of riding alone last year with finding the good trails.

I had a great time with Mr. Moto, and Maggie and others last year, but one of you was injured (was it Wilks with a torn quad?). Are any of you available again this year for some riding. I'd really appreciate it!

Additionaly, I've been reading some posts aabout bears and it completely freaks me out! especially if I'll be riding alone close to sunset! You all don't want me to die, do you?!

Thanks in advance for your response!
    -Mark
    Last edited by TrailBurner; 09-04-2007 at 10:13 AM.

mtbr member
    They are just black bears. I wouldn't lose sleep.

mtbr member

Riding in Ringwood

Hey Mark.... Anthony and I are generally there Tuesdays around 6 pm. We usually get back to the car around 8, so give me a shout when you're in the area and we'll make sure to wait for you.

We've seen and been seen by a bear (the bear?) in Ringwood twice this year, it's kinda cool.

Maggie

mtbr member
    Bikestud and me were riding the yellow and green trails Sunday and we couldn't decide whether we wanted to see a bear or not. I've still never seen one while biking and the suspense is killing me. I can't wait/dread the day!

To the OP -- Sorry, I just can't make weekdays. I'll try to keep you in mind if I find myself with a day off.

mtbr member
    Hi Maggie! Thanks so much for replying! I was hoping you'd see this thread. I'm really looking forward to riding with you and Anthony again.
    Did you guys manage to get some lights for this year?
    Riding in the dark was awesome, and I still can't believe how well you did with no light! :whoa!:
    Only tuesday's though, huh? OK, I'll have to work with that.

Justin, thanks for the reply. Hope you can make it one day.

@idbrian: just black bears, eh? well, a bear is a bear. And I think any of them could kill me if I can't get to my lightsaber in time!

vgt
    mtbr member

You comin back to M-B?

Hey Bro,

You coming back to M-B for a stint? I have lights this year.....just need to see if I can break out one of these nights...my wife and I had a baby 3 months ago and riding at night is hard to accomplish. Maybe one night I can break away though.

P.M.me.

VGT

carpe diem
    Jan 2004
    Mark - good to hear from you again. I don't do much weekday riding, but I'll make an effort to get out at some point. Post again with your riding schedule and hopefully I can get out to ride.

As for the bears, I do see some on rare occasion. Don't worry, you only need to be the second fastest rider in the group and you'll be fine.

Bob

mtbr member
    Hi Vin! Yup, the MB stint is on again for this year. Congrats on the lights!
    oops, I meant congrats on the baby! what kind did you have? I'll bet your life is quite different now.
    Well, at least you have leather seats in the car in case you need to wipe off a really loose leaky diaper. Trust me, that situation is a lot worse with cloth seats :eek!:
    I hope you can get a chance to ride a little this year, b/c last year, you won the "lame" award for all talk but no go. heh heh!

Bob, If we can hook up that will be awesome. I'll never find the "5 bridges" that we did on my own.
    man, this thread feels like a reunion!
    So let's see... Maggie and Anthony on Tuesdays, VGT on mondays, and Mr. Motto on Wednesday's. Sounds like a plan!
    Kidding around of course, but I would love to ride with anyone from these forums that's available after work. And for all those who've never done night riding at Ringwood, it's worth the experience, so buy a light now while they're still on sale!

mtbr member
    "Riding in the dark was awesome, and I still can't believe how well you did with no light! :whoa!:
    Only tuesday's though, huh? OK, I'll have to work with that."

I do better with no lights as I can't see where I'm going and scare myself!

Tuesday's is our "normal" night out, and we always know we'll meet then, I'm sure you could easily convince either of us to get in an extra ride. It's starting to get dark by 8 pm these days, and that's only going to start happening earlier and earlier. Guess I better start charging my light huh?

mtbr member
    Yup, charge those lights!
    My bike should be arriving in montvale on Monday, but I don't know if I'll have it assembled by tuesday.
    I'll keep you posted. I do have all my stuff with me though, including my lights.
    My work load will be semi light in the beginning, but will ramp up significantly as Septemper wears on. so we'll see what that does for my ride start times.
    Detroit has been very rainy and wet the past week, I hope NJ is not having the same thing.

I remember that last year it was wet and rainy for the first two weeks that I was in NJ, and only nice on the weekends when I was home.
    I'm hoping that this pattern does NOT repeat itself this year.

mtbr member
    Well, it's been a year, since my last ride at Ringwood, and this past Wednesday night, VGT took me out for some great riding. Thanks Vin!

I'm looking forward to riding there many times over the next few weeks, so if any of you can make it after work to help show me around, I'd greatly appreciate it!

We rode through several areas, I really couldn't get my bearings until the last third of the ride, but we started at about 6:10pm and finished at 8:10 in the dark.
    Some of those boulder strewn trails are really something else when night riding!

We were too busy riding to really snap any photos, but here are a few that I took.
    I hope you enjoy looking at them:

VGT in the distance after walking up a tricky rock faced step-up:

Some trailside maintenance needed after a pebble lodged itself
    really tight into the jocky wheel.

VGT gets armed and ready for some night riding:

That's it for now.
    Hope to ride with some of you!
    -Mark (TrailBurner)

mtbr member
    Anyone interested in riding today (Tuesday, 9-4-2007)?
    Maggie, are you and Anthony riding?
    I can be in Lot C at about 6:00ish.
    Please post up if you can make it. I'll check this post several times throughout the day.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Well, I rode alone last night, but still enjoyed it.
    Is anyone available tonight (Wednesday) for a ride at about 6:00ish?
    Thanks. I'd really enjoy it of somebody could show me around.
    I'm still getting lost when I ride by myself.

mtbr member
    Anybody?

mtbr member
    you can always do the race loop or an out and back cannonball ride from the upper skyline lot without getting lost.

mtbr member
    I have not had any luck trying to follow the race course loop.
    I have an awesome idea! How about if you show it to me tonight! wink wink, shove shove

I don't even know what the cannonball ride is though. Is it fun?
    I'll have to look at a map to see where the upper skyline lot is.

mtbr member
    Why can't you follow the race loop? I did it my first time at Ringwood, alone.

mtbr member
    I don't know. I guess I tried it and got confused.

Anyway, here are a few more pics I snapped while I was out the other night:

This is on part of the race course I believe.
    I love riding over those long rocks that look like concrete bumper stops:

This one's a bit blurry, but I was trying to illustrate how rocky the trail is
    compared to our trails back home:

And here are some items that really caught my eye.
    The shock of color in the otherwise brown and green environment was really cool:

Enjoy the pics and have a great weekend!