mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Any South Jersey riders?

I regularly read the NJ forum posts, and it seems that 90% of the posts are related to north Jersey (ie, Diablo), and 8-9% are central Jersey (ie, Chimney Rock, etc.). There are very few posts from riders in South Jersey. Granted, the majority of the better riding in Jersey is northern and/or even central. South Jersey lacks a lot of longer trails and we are essentially flat down here....ie, Mercer. We have Camden County College, Gloucester County College, etc., but not a whole lot more. We are close to Wiss over in Philly, but with all of the breakins and thefts over there, I'd rather stay local.

Any riders from South Jersey? Any good trails anywhere?

Just curious.....I would like to see more info on South Jersey, and I know you guys are out there!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I started riding in SJ but recently moved to West Chester, so I'm not down in that area too much anymore. I try to get down and ride with my cousin who's over in the Pitman area occasionally though.

Ceres Park in Mantua is decent and there's been some trail building going on there too.

mtbr member
    try the group Jersey Action Riders. They are based out of southern Jersey and ride a number of different trails in that area. I live in Northern Jersey in the summer and go to school in Drexel University (philly) during the winter so i alternate the terrain throughout the year
    "hit hard, hit fast, hit often HOOAH!!!!"

Blog of mine: http://mtnsprts.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    We do exist down here in lower Jersey. As you already know though, trail selection is limited. I agree that Wissahickon isn't the greatest place to park your car but it is a ton of fun to ride. I ride at GCC or Ceres(Mantua) Park probably once or twice a week just to keep the legs going. Every now and then I'll head over to CCC as well. To get more serious or longer rides in you have to drive. I love Middle Creek/ White Clay in DE. If I want to get some good climbs in, but not real technical riding I head to Brandywine. And Fair Hill in MD is a good all around place to ride with miles and miles of fun trails. Depending on where in South Jersey you live, most of these places can be driven to within an hours drive from GCC.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Thanks.....

Thanks guys....

I have heard some good things about Cere's Park, but I haven't found it yet. Actually, I haevn't really looked for it, but maybe it's worth my time.

I've done both Brandywine and Fair Hills....both are fun. I live in Cherry Hill, so I'm close to all of the major highways. I believe I got to Fair Hills, MD in about 90 mins, give or take. Brandywine...just under and hour. I don't mind driving a bit, but I was just looking for a few local spots to hit after work. I'm tired of riding the 4-5 "trails" at Cooper River Park. If you dig deep enough, you can actually find a few trails that lead to Haddonfield and if you're lucky, you may actually be able to find a 3/4 mile loop. It sucks, but I live less than a mile away, so it's convenient.

If you guys know of any other spots, fill me in!
    Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Its good to see you guys checkin in... the forums tend to be top heavy with us northerners

Because we love all of NJ, we try to get IMBA to come into our state twice a year, once in the north and once in the south. So don't forget about the upcoming IMBA/Subaru TCC at Wharton State Forest/Batsto. This is a great chance to meet up with other riders and trail advocates for a weekend of trail building and riding.

IMBA/Subaru Trail Care Crew is returning to NJ

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Not much in SJ.I think u already named most of the local spots.I live 10 mins from CCC & GCC, so thats where most of my after work rides are to.Ceres Park is actually the first place i ever rode about 15 yrs ago.It has changed alot since then,a little for the better,a little for the worse.Still not bad to hit up though for a quick ride. Estell Manor down in Atlantic Cnty isnt too bad.Pretty much completely flat,but again a place in SJ to stretch the legs.Middle Run in DE is great for those of us in SJ,its only about a 45-60 min ride from Bellmawr,and the trails have great flow.The skills trail is pretty cool too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Ccc

I've lived in SJ for about 8 years now (moved here from VT), and I just went to CCC for the first time this past weekend. Actually, I went there yesterday (09/21/07) as well. I live about 12 miles away and I could kick myself for not going sooner. It's not a very large park, not extremely challenging, but I had fun. I'll head back out a few more times before winter.

To be honest, I was actually impressed with the quality of the trails out there. They are nicely maintained, well marked, etc... I went without any knowledge of this place and without a map (not that a map is needed). It took me an hour or two to get the layout down, but it's fairly small and easy to navigate. I went back yesterday and spent another hour or so cruising around. Ran into 2-3 other bikers and 1 hiker. All were friendly. Nice play to kill an hour, but I don't think I would travel more than 15 miles to get there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

The South

I live in Washington Township off of Hurffville-Crosskeys Rd. Although, I am currently a student at Monmouth University up north. There are a few really good places to ride in SJ. For sure not as many as the north, but there some none the less.

I know Cere's park and GCC like the back of my hand. My buddy and I ride the trails, when we are both home, a few times a week. We ride even more in the summer.

CCC is another great place to ride, although I've only been there once. When i went I was fortunate to meet another rider who showed me everything that it has to offer. CCC is a great place to ride. It offers more then GCC (trail wise) because it is more like a circuit of trails as opposed to a running trail like GCC.

Cere's Park is the mecca of SJ. It's about 58 acres (small in comparrison to places up north), but it offers everything from easy to difficult riding.

Feel free to send me an email if you would like to get together to ride.

mtbr member
    i live in manahawkin and the only decent place i ride around here is wells mills which isnt to much at all i think the bike trail is like 3.4 miles. You can take some fire trails and make it a little longer and have terrain that is a little more challenging. Either way it is like 5 miles from my house so it is fun durring the week when allaire is to much of a drive. I also hear that estel mannor has some cool trails,I believe it is off rt50 by mays landing

mtbr member
    JAR is cutting new trails in Wharton State Forest. I road the Batsto green loop when they opened it on earth day and it was pretty fun. Not much of a fan of the trails at Atsion, too sandy. http://whartontrails.jerseyactionriders.org/

Anyway, I live in Collingswood, but I end at Whiteclay in DE most weekends. Trails there are just so much fun. --Mark

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by marks_bike
    JAR is cutting new trails in Wharton State Forest. I road the Batsto green loop when they opened it on earth day and it was pretty fun. Not much of a fan of the trails at Atsion, too sandy. http://whartontrails.jerseyactionriders.org/

Anyway, I live in Collingswood, but I end at Whiteclay in DE most weekends. Trails there are just so much fun. --Mark

Hey...thanks for the info. I went out to Wharton State Forest about 6 years ago, but the trails were in horrible condition and it was nothing but sand. It looks like things have really changed out there, which is great news. I'll have to check this out someday.

I haven't made it to Whiteclay yet. I've been to Brandywine and Fair Hills, MD, but not Whiteclay. I heard it was great there....worth the trip from Cherry Hill?

mtbr member
    Yeah, parts of Wharton are pretty sandy. The new trail at Batsto wasn't bad at all the only part that was a little sandy was on the carage trail, but I still had a lot of fun. Worth checking out this winter.

Personally, I think Whiteclay is a blast! I make the trip from the same area as you (Collingswood) just about every Sunday. Here's a link to a great trail map:

http://www.kencox.net/?page_id=29

--Mark