Trail Rider
    Apr 2007

Any Mt Biking around WildWood??

This maybe a stupid question. I know Wildwood is the Beach. I am from Pittsburgh, PA, and my wife's whole family planned this big vacation to Wildwood. I am a hard core mt biker, and I would hate to miss out on a week of vacation with no Mt. biking. Is there any riding in the general area? Within an hour drive? Let me know, and possibly, let me know were I could get some maps??????????????

shut up and pedal
    Jan 2004
    Just bring your sand tires You will have blast

lotto baby
    estell manor maybe?

FIX IT YOURSELF
    The question is can you go mountain biking if there are no mountains
    Eye Am In The Meat !!!

Trail Rider
    Apr 2007
    Is Estell Manor okay offroad trails? I did stumble across it on the weg. It is about 20miles from where I am staying.

FIX IT YOURSELF
    I guess it is your best option if you'll be in Wildwood....Good luck
    Eye Am In The Meat !!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Estelle Manor

The northern part of the park has some mt bike specific trails put in by local volunteers w/ IMBA support. When I lived 10 minutes away it was fun to go there and blast around on a SS or CX bike. The trails are twisty, narrow singletrack. With the exception of a few up and down berms it's completely flat. Not like just lightly rolling but 100% flat. Also, you can ride every trail in both directions in less than an hour, easy.

So long story short I wouldn't bother. You're going to drive 30-40 minutes to ride < an hour in a place you wouldn't drive 10 minutes to get to if it was outside of Pittsburg.

The other option is just east of Millville on Rt. 49 there's about 7-8 miles of singletrack hidden in the woods. You really need a local yokel to show you around but the trails are a bit more fun then Estelle Manor.

If you can get away for the day go up to Philly and do a Belmont/Wissahickon double header.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Burgess
    The northern part of the park has some mt bike specific trails put in by local volunteers w/ IMBA support. When I lived 10 minutes away it was fun to go there and blast around on a SS or CX bike. The trails are twisty, narrow singletrack. With the exception of a few up and down berms it's completely flat. Not like just lightly rolling but 100% flat. Also, you can ride every trail in both directions in less than an hour, easy.

So long story short I wouldn't bother. You're going to drive 30-40 minutes to ride < an hour in a place you wouldn't drive 10 minutes to get to if it was outside of Pittsburg.

The other option is just east of Millville on Rt. 49 there's about 7-8 miles of singletrack hidden in the woods. You really need a local yokel to show you around but the trails are a bit more fun then Estelle Manor.

If you can get away for the day go up to Philly and do a Belmont/Wissahickon double header.
    Stay away from Millville in the Summer, it's way to over grown. Estell Manor is better maintained.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wojo14
    This maybe a stupid question. I know Wildwood is the Beach. I am from Pittsburgh, PA, and my wife's whole family planned this big vacation to Wildwood. I am a hard core mt biker, and I would hate to miss out on a week of vacation with no Mt. biking. Is there any riding in the general area? Within an hour drive? Let me know, and possibly, let me know were I could get some maps??????????????

Bring the road bike! With the wind down there, it will be like riding uphill sometimes -- well, kinda sorta.

One thing to keep in mind -- if you bring your bike, keep on top of the rust. That salt air really does a number on the chain and can pit your aluminum rims, too, if you don't clean it off.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Millville in the Summer

I used to just ride there in the fall and winter. I forgot that the few times I rode in the summer months I got covered in ticks. Nasty.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Burgess
    I used to just ride there in the fall and winter. I forgot that the few times I rode in the summer months I got covered in ticks. Nasty.
    It's a shame, because it's a way better trail than Estell Manor. By far the best in Atlantic County.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Gloucester County Community College is about an hour away from Wildwood I think. They hold a MASS race there in July, and Id say its worth checking out if you've got half a day to kill

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

GCC and an article on Estell Manor

GCC is pretty far, if you're driving all the way there I would just keep going and hit Wiss in Philly.

Here's an article from last week on the EM trails. Quotes my friend:

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/a...-7342023c.html

It also references a new trail in Batso which is outside of Hammonton, sort of mid-way between AC and Philly. It also mentions Parvin SP which is outside of Vineland. I forgot about that trail. Not bad by SJ standards..