mtbr member

Any bike shops sell Foes in Jersey?

I'm trying to find a bike shop somewhere in Jersey or PA that carries either Foes, Intense, or Titus bikes. I've finally saved enough penny's to afford that dream bike I've always wanted but I can't find a shop to see one in person. I live in south Jersey and most shops around here only carry Specialized, Trek or C-dale. Nothing against those brands but I want something different from what I've always ridden and what all my friends ride.

A Foes XCT5 would be my first choice and I'd be willing to drive a couple hours to see one, but I'm not looking for a shop that will just order me one. I know I can order and build it up myself online but I'd really like to at least see a frame in person first. I figure Intense and Titus are slightly more common brands so maybe someone knows of someplace that sells them at least. Anyone have any recommendations for me?

it's just baby phat..
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky351
    I'm trying to find a bike shop somewhere in Jersey or PA that carries either Foes, Intense, or Titus bikes. I've finally saved enough penny's to afford that dream bike I've always wanted but I can't find a shop to see one in person. I live in south Jersey and most shops around here only carry Specialized, Trek or C-dale. Nothing against those brands but I want something different from what I've always ridden and what all my friends ride.

A Foes XCT5 would be my first choice and I'd be willing to drive a couple hours to see one, but I'm not looking for a shop that will just order me one. I know I can order and build it up myself online but I'd really like to at least see a frame in person first. I figure Intense and Titus are slightly more common brands so maybe someone knows of someplace that sells them at least. Anyone have any recommendations for me?
    sparky, It's going to be tough to find anybody that stocks many of the brands you mention. the reason is that the internet is fiercely competitive as shops have to deal with people going in for test rides and then price shop on the internet. that being said, I know campmor has had titus frames in stock but that's about it. i just looked up the NJ dealers for the brands you listed. you can do the same for PA. you can also call the companies directly.

Foes.
    Planet Bike
    1177 Route 18 South
    East Brunswick, New Jersey 08816
    732-651-8080

Point Pleasant Bicycle
    2701 Bridge Ave.
    Point Pleasant, New Jersey 08742
    732-899-9755

The Peddler of Long Branch
    150 Ocean Blvd
    Long Branch, New Jersey 07740
    732 229 6623

titus:
    Diamond Cycle
    409 Bloomfield Ave.
    Montclair, NJ 07042
    973-509-0233
    http://WWW.DIAMONDCYCLE.COM
    INFO@DIAMONDCYCLE.COM

Campmor
    810 Rte 17 N
    Paramus, NJ 07653
    201-445-5000
    http://www.campmor.com
    info@campmor.com

Bike Tek Medford
    185 Route 70
    Medford, NJ 08055
    609-654-6868
    MEDBIKETEK@COMCAST.NET

intense:
    diamond cycle in Montclair 973-509-0233

Pompton Cycle Corp in Pompton Lakes 973 835-6339

Bike Master in Englewood 207-569-3773

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Abington Wheel Wright Bike Shop. It's in PA but run by great people- Miko is the owner. They carry intense, titus, norco, jamis, etc... I don't believe they sell Foes but could be wrong. Their number is 215-884-6331. The shop is an hour west of Somerville Circle
    I guarantee I will never, ever be accused of bringing sexy back...

mtbr member
    Thanks Phatbiker for all of that info. I did see those stores listed on the Foes website but when I went to those stores websites directly Foes wasn't even listed as a brand they carried. Maybe a phone call on my part would help. But anyway that just kind of led me to believe they would order one for me. I was kind of hoping someone on here may have been to a shop recently and seen one of those three brands. I probably will end up ordering one without ever riding one but thought I'd try here first. As far as the info on the other brands I really appreciate it and will check those stores out if I don't have any luck with Foes.

mtbnj.com
    I dont think I have ever seen a Foes at Pt. Pleasent bike, but I have not been ther in quite some time. Planet Bike hasnt carried Foes in about 4 years, but they do stock Santa Cruz and Titus. I do believe that the Peddlar in Long Branch still carries Intense, I was in there a few days ago, although I didnt see any, I spoke to someone recently who bought a 5.5 from them, within the past year.
    You guys live or plan on coming to New Jersey, check out mtbnj.com

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info Walter. I was hoping to hear from someone who was familiar with those shops and you kind of told me what I expected to hear. If not exactly what I wanted to hear. But at least you guys have helped me find some stores that carry Intense and Titus. I guess if I do decide to go with the Foes I'll be ordering it online. I think I'm probably going to check out the Abington Wheel Wright shop first. Their website was way out of date, but it seemed like they were seriously into mountain bikes at least. Most shops around here cater to the road guys. Which makes sense considering how flat it is around here. I just wish a few of the shops would show the enthusiasm for mountain bikes that they do for the roadies.

mtbnj.com
    I would at least make a bunch of phone calls to local guys first. For instance, when the Titus moto-lite first came out, I had a friend who jumped all over it. When he got it, and started to ride, it just didnt feel right. If I remember, Titus had some weird sizing issues, and alot of people who thought they were one size, ended up being another.

Do what you can with the limited local support, but my two cents is dont pull the trigger on an online frame unless you've ridden it
    You guys live or plan on coming to New Jersey, check out mtbnj.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Totally agree with Walter- buying frames unseen scares me. I ordered a HT from Abington and although the geo specs are dead on for what I need- I'm still a bit nervous to throw my leg over it for the first time... I believe Mike was running demos on the motolite when he first took them on- not sure if he still is but I can check as I'll be heading down there today. If you reach out to him tell him Dennis refered you- he is sensitive t the travel from NJ dilema

Actually- what are you looking for- he has some good stock in the shop but I can see if he has what you want specifically
    I guarantee I will never, ever be accused of bringing sexy back...

mtbr member

I friend of mine (named Sean) is working at Diamond Cycle in Montclair. He happened to mention to me the other day that he was waiting for some Titus frames to come in. I don't know if they're in or not, so a phone call ahead of time is advised of course.

Phat's comprehensive list is where I start... just start ringing them up, and see what's around.

A phone call to Foes may not hurt either. If you get through to a helpful soul, maybe they know what shops they recently shipped frames/bikes to in the tri state area.

Good luck.

www.mtbnj.com
    Jul 2005
    these guys are in Norwalk, CT, and stock 2 of the 3 that you are looking for:

http://www.smartcycles.com/

There are several on-line retailers that have demo programs. for around $200, you get to demo the bike for 1 week, and the cost includes shipping. If you purchase a bike from them, they usually credit some, if not all of the demo cost to the PP:

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...T&BRAND.ID=129

mtbr member
    Trust me, I'm very leary about actually spending big money online to buy a bike I've never ridden before. Not to mention if a warranty issue comes up and not having a lbs to fall back on. For some reason though, once I get an idea in my head I tend to have a hard time shaking it. For a long time now their has just been something about Foes bikes that has made me want to get one. With that being said I probably will hit one of the many stores that everyone has recommended to me and most likely end up with either an Intense or Titus. No matter what anything will be a big step up from the 4 year old and beaten down GF Sugar I'm currently riding.

Nuns hated me too!
    You may find that a LBS may be a Foes dealer, but they don't stock stuff. It's tough with "boutique" type bikes for the shop. If you want it, they'll be happy to order it in for ya', but someone that wants something like a Foes typically wants to spec it themselves. So a shop is probably hesitant to order in a frame, build it up how they think it should be, put it on the floor to sell, then re-build it to the buyer's needs, and then are left with "used" parts. And that's no reflection on you the customer - you want a custom bike built for you, and very rightly so! But it's tough business-wise to do it that way.

If you have a bike shop that you do business with and they know you, they can probably get it for you. Foes is a pretty small company, your shop can probably become a dealer for one frame.
    I'm small where it counts

mtbr member

Kim's in New Brunswick sells Intense.

Daddy of 3 now!
    Sparky,
    I just got back from Campmor Rte 17 and they have about 5 or 6 Titus frames. I don't know what size or model you're looking for, but they have a S,M,L size Racer X, a Motolight and an 29er Titus. Btw, they have a racer-x fully built not sure what size.
    I was like a kid in a candy shop I was pretty impressed with their stock of bikes and parts.
    Good luck,
    Tony

mtbr member
    The Bicycle Workshop in Tenafly, NJ has just changed ownership and the new owner, Rich, has built many custom bikes for customers (I know he has built a Foes Inferno and a Titus Racer X recently). He also rides a Foes, you may want to give him a ring to see if he has it built up. You might be able to throw a leg on it.

http://www.bicycleworkshop.com/

Cheers!

mtbr member
    I appreciate everyone trying to locate a Foes for me, along with names of shops that carry Titus and Intense. The response has actually surprised me a little. I never expected this many people to even view this post let alone reply to it.

Anyway, I did contact Foes and they told me that they had no listing of any dealers in NJ, PA, DE, or MD that had placed orders for either their XCT or FXR frames. I also asked if their were any online dealers that I could demo a bike with and again their answer was "sorry, but no." They did mention a shop in Brooklyn to check out, but thought they only had 1 FXR and weren't even sure if they still had it.

So to throw one last wrench in the works here before I decided to go with a Titus Motolite, I had a chance to ride a Tuner Spot. I now find myself heavily leaning toward that bike. So as it stands now, unless I bump into someone on the trail who has a Foes anything that their willing to let me try or at least sit on, I'll probably be ordering a Turner sometime in July. With all that being said though, I am going to contact the shop nybike mentioned in Tenafly just on the off chance they might have what I'm looking for.

mtbr member
    cycle craft has intence
    town cycle has titus

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Go to a DH race

Unfortunately you just missed the US OPEN at Diablo, where you could have seen and probably sat on a gilizan different bikes. Next DH is Platty this weekend. Go scope it out, lots of bikes there too!
    TeamBulldog.com Cyclecraft.com Mtbnj.com JORBA.org