mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Allamuchy Trail Question...

So I'm visiting NJ from CO and brought my hard tail with me. Glad I did. I live in Boulder and while you'd think Boulder would have better riding than here...you'd be wrong.

Anyway, I've been riding Allamuchy all week. Great riding. Could use a few improvements in spots, but generally pretty good. This is a much better concentrated area of trails than we have. We might have some longer trails, but it's the same ride every time you go. This place is nice because you can mix it up.

So yesterday I decided to try out the western part of the park. Headed down the White Trail and turned left onto the Purple Trail. From where it busts a right onto the single track portion (near the rest area on I-80) you can make a left onto a unblazed trail. It was super turny. Lots of rocks. Really well built. Wish I had my dual boinger for it. Does this trail have a name?

Next time I'll bring the FS bike.

Here is a map. I'm talking about the squiggly part on the SW part. (Ignore the part on I-80...forgot to turn off the GPS).

Map My Ride Map

lotto baby
    welcome to dirty jerz!

i can't see the link - it looks like you have it set where you have to be someone's "friend" on that site - any way you can make it public?

in the mean time, i'm gonna take a guess as to what trail you were on - it was possibly "lumpy bumpy" one of my personal favorites. at times you are perched up on a cliff? with a good amount of bare rock up on the top? if so, i'm guessing lumpy bumpy.

if you were anywhere around a white and green blaze trail intersection, then i think you were where i'm thinking you were.
    i spurt in the wind, and the wind drug it

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Don't think it was Lumpy Bumpy, but it seemed pretty similar. I think Lumpy Bumpy is closer to Cranberry Lake.This is closer to the I-80 exit for Rt 517. This was off the Purple/Cardiac trail. I was trying to get on the Orange trail, but ended up on this unknown trail. I did see a couple of really small orange dots on trees, but that may have just been markings for trail planning.

I made that route public so you should be able to see it. Zoom in to the area near the town of Allamuchy.

lotto baby
    ah! i belive that is known as candy a$$.
    i spurt in the wind, and the wind drug it

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Yes that is Candya**. We had a group of about 10 out yesterday and hit that as well. Glad you are finding the park fun!
    www.JORBA.org
    You Dig?
    "The rides to short to not kick against the pricks" M.F.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob W View Post
    Yes that is Candya**. We had a group of about 10 out yesterday and hit that as well. Glad you are finding the park fun!
    I was wondering if anyone actually rode any of the trails back there. All week I've seen a grand total of 2 other riders other than my friend I'm visiting. They were 2 younger kids with Mom. Mom was walking down the railroad trail and the kids would ride up each side trail a bit and go back down to Mom...one kid was on a Walmart bike so I don't think he counts. Haven't seen a single rider out on the real trails.

In Boulder you can actually go for a bit during the week without seeing anyone...but to go for an entire ride without seeing ANYONE...doesn't happen.

It's nice to have the entire place to yourself...but sometimes it's refreshing to see another human!

Taking the day off from riding today, but I think I'll go out tomorrow morning too. Heading back to CO in the evening.

Thanks for the replies. Can't wait to get back here to explore some more.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Another Trail

Yeah Allamuchy is funny like htat...great day and you will hardly see a soul!

One more tail to hit if you have not already. Rollie Pollie. Its at the top of the purple trail, unmakred and located on the north side of the trail. Sounds like you found Lumpy already.

Hey safe trip back to CO!
    www.JORBA.org
    You Dig?
    "The rides to short to not kick against the pricks" M.F.