Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 29ers and NJ

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

29ers and NJ

how many of you ride a 29er? Would they have advantages over 26s in our state?

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lawndart
    The advantages are the same in any state.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I ride a 29er and the larger wheels help to smooth out the rougher terrain you find in northern nj.

lotto baby
    i ride one - i love it. great for climbing in LM, clearing rock gardens at the sourlands, and smoothing out the bumps of CR.
    i spurt in the wind, and the wind drug it

www.jorba.org
    although I'm not yet a 29er owner, I ride with several recent converts and I've never seen any complaints, only big smiles and "mergs, you should get one!" comments.
    www.JORBA.org - You Dig?
    What would we do without trails? www.IMBA.com

Icebiker

Not all 9'ers are the same

The key is to try a few first. I tried several (including Karate Monkey, Orbea Lanza, etc) but found the geometry "off" (sluggish, lumbering). I then tried a rigid Voodoo Dambala and now it's my go-to bike for everything but super technical rides. I've taken it to Lew Mo, Chimney and KVSP so far, and the bike is just a blast. Moves quickly, and the fit feels very natural. Might be because I'm 6'3", but then again a friend of mine rides a raleigh XXIX and he's 5"8 or so, and he rocks on the bike.

The best thing for me is the climbing traction...despite the 10% larger wheels and the conventional wisdom that they take 10% lower gearing to mimic a 26'er setup, I find myself in one or two gears taller when I ride the 29'er than when I ride the 26'er. Perhaps its the better contact patch, or the gyroscopic effect once you get the wheels up and running, or perhaps it's "new bike syndrome", but in any case it's great.

On the other hand, I don't notice the "bump eating" advantages that a 29'er has over a 26'er. To me, the impact from rocks feels the same. Yeah, the "lower angle of attack" statement makes sense on paper, but on the trails I don't notice a difference. I also find in super slow sections (like when you're setting up to get around a tight switchback ina rocky section, the bike takes a hair more effort to accelerate)

One other thing I've noticed is that with larger wheels, the dish on the drive side of the rear wheel seems very shallow, almost to the point where the drive side spokes appear to be perpendicular to the ground. I've found after four rides, my rear rim has gravitated a few mm left of center. The spokes are plenty tight, so I'll have to true it back to center and report back later (these are deore disc hubs with Mavic 317 rims).

mtbr member
    Dude, you're 6'3". If it's for anyone it's for you. Go go go.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    im going to wait for Titus to come to work to see if they have a 29er RacerX. I might be parting the Rush if i like it.

lotto baby
    im going to wait for Titus to come to work to see if they have a 29er RacerX. I might be parting the Rush if i like it.
    i'm waiting for another one myself - the on one 456 in 29er, so i could throw a 130mm fork on a 29er HT, for a little all-mtn HT action.
    i spurt in the wind, and the wind drug it

mtbr member
    But they don't have one, do they? Unless you mean an early '08 model. Only 29er dualies currently available I know of are the R.I.P., Sultan and the the three by Ventana.

Though I'm 5'6" so what the hell do I know about 29ers.

Icebiker

Here's a few more...

Van Dessel, Intense, Gary Fisher, Ellsworth, Astrix....Titus also has one, too. One day the bigger makers will see the light

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-XC-Justin
    But they don't have one, do they? Unless you mean an early '08 model. Only 29er dualies currently available I know of are the R.I.P., Sultan and the the three by Ventana.

Though I'm 5'6" so what the hell do I know about 29ers.

Thats what im hearing on this site, that people are waiting and waiting for their Titus 29s
    I checked RIPs website for dealers in our area....not one in 25 miles.....might have to give em a call and see. I took our Kona 29er out for a spin around the parking lot but whats that gonna tell me? Well it did tell me to always check QR before you hop on a ride away. Some Yahoo opened the rear one and with in one crank rotation i came to an unexpected halt and almost over the bars!! the whole drivetrain froze!!!!

rigid bruce
    Nov 2004
    >>Well it did tell me to always check QR before you hop on a ride away. Some Yahoo opened the rear one and with in one crank rotation i came to an unexpected halt and almost over the bars!! the whole drivetrain froze!!!!<<

OMG! They should ban those stupid QR's.....they're dangerous!

bruce boysen

mtbr member
    Word on the street is that Kona has HUGE changes in store for '08. New suspension systems. Maybe a dualie 29er?

Let me know when you guys hear about the new line -- then I can come in and haggle on an '07! I want to ride The King.

mtbr member
    29 convert here. I am building my 2nd one this week.

My 26" Seven Verve is for sale.
    ..I'd rather be a headlight on a northbound train..

mtbnj.com
    Jdog and I "kinda" have the same bike, this is my gearie, I also have a rigid mary ss, no more 26ers for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    You guys live or plan on coming to New Jersey, check out mtbnj.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    those Cdale Caffine 29ers always looks so nice. My R5000 is clear coated aluminum.

mtbr member
    So for a 5'11" rider, there is no good reason not to get a 29er? I'm thinking about getting one for my next bike. I don't want and can't afford a collection of bikes. So i'm looking to invest in a dualie bike that can do everything. Should i might as well go with the 29er?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by idbrian
    So for a 5'11" rider, there is no good reason not to get a 29er? I'm thinking about getting one for my next bike. I don't want and can't afford a collection of bikes. So i'm looking to invest in a dualie bike that can do everything. Should i might as well go with the 29er?
    i'm 5'10" and ride my haro mary 10 times more than the fuel that i've spent $1000 upgrading. i just love the way the bike handles...so next year i'll either pick up a geared mary or convert the SS to a gearie w/ a front shock and only ride that. sadly, me thinks, the fuel is going the way of the dodo.

mtbnj.com
    Quote Originally Posted by idbrian

I'm a hair over 6' and I think my mary is quite possibly the best bike I have ever owned. I agree with Jake, the mary is an incredible bike for the money, its fairly inexpensive, and is a great frame to work with if you like to change things. I have had my mary almost a year already, and I cant say enough about it.

If you stop over to the other NJ site, you will surprised at the number of 29er riders over there, its a revolution I tell ya.

Arf, he said.

Sip the Kool-aid, don't guzzle it

I have both and I ride both. roughly about 50/50. There are some trails that I prefer my 26" FS over my 29" HT SS and vice versa. It depends on the type of terrain I'm riding that day. A 29" wheel will not magically transform you into a superior rider. They do tend to roll over things easier then 26" wheels and they carry a lot of momentum when the trail points downhill. You can also run 29" wheels at lower air pressure because of the extra volume, and it feels like the bigger wheels add an extra inch of travel to your suspension. Keep in mind that the selection of 29er forks is still pretty slim. If you want a suspension fork, there is the Reba, a White Brothers (megabucks), or a Fox due out in the fall. Or you can go the Cannondale route with a lefty. If your set on getting a dualie, the selection of 29ers is pretty slim there as well, although I'd love to throw my leg over a Sultan.

You need to ride a 29er to get a feel for it and check it out for yourself. Find a shop that will let you demo a bike on a real trail not just the parking lot. It will take you a few minutes to get used to the bigger wheels but not more then a mile or two.

It's not an easy decision if your intent on having one bike that does it all. My feeling is there are advantages/disadvantages to both 26 & 29 and I don't see either one going extinct soon.

mtbnj.com
    Well said, Jeff

mtbr member
    I recently bought an Astrix Rook 29er hardtail and love it - I have a 6" dual suspension bike too which I ride much more than the 29er but for smoothish trails or ones with lots of climbing it rules - we rode six bridges and a few other trails in ringwood today for example and it was perfect - particulary with some of the inter connencting fireroads. However, yellow trail off of skyline is better suited to my 26er!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    so a 29er would be great for Ringwood and Waywayanda? Hows about Hartshorne? Is yellow trail too technical for a 29er? ie not being able to keep the momentum?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ-XC-Justin
    Dude, you're 6'3". If it's for anyone it's for you. Go go go.

im 6'1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast