Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    mtbr member

24 hours of allamuchy photos

I was only at the race for the last 1.5 hours but here they are.

mtbr member

nice photos

Very nice shots. Mud, mud everywhere. I noticed not many folks use eye protection. Can someone explain that?

TKR
    mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Not So Fast
    Very nice shots. Mud, mud everywhere. I noticed not many folks use eye protection. Can someone explain that?
    eye protection would have fogged up instantly in those conditions.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Nice!

Nice destruction as usual fellas. You have the nerve to tout the wanton destruction of our trails. This race needs to be stopped. It is a nuisance and ruins the forest for others. You wouldn't ride it in this condition if there wasn't a race. Why do it now?

I am ashamed to be lumped into the same collection of mountain bikers.

ShAME SHAME SHAME!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    shut up hippe

mtbr member
    who cares its fun and it cant be worse the the boy scouts romping around all summer on the same trails

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Nice pix!

Next year we will have to get you to the DH sections. Great carnage there!
    TeamBulldog.com Cyclecraft.com Mtbnj.com JORBA.org

mtbr member
    nope next year i will be racing!!!! they need to put in a dh class, for bikes with 8+ inches of travel. im going to be buying a new bike soon. looking at a few now. haro mary ss, commencal meta 4.2, iron horse mark3 comp, transition covert. not going to spend more then $2500 not $1 over.

mtbr member

Allamuchy 07'

Looking for update on this weekends race at Allamuchy. Checked Compuscore, looks like Solo riders where clocking in around 4-6 total laps average, top finishers only 7-8 laps. Not good. Whats the story? Pics look like it was a typical disaster out there. How was the course? I cant believe the heat on Sat. This race should be done in Sept/Oct.

mtbr member
    IMBAman is back!

Come on winter!
    Quote Originally Posted by YankeesRulw
    Nice destruction as usual fellas. You have the nerve to tout the wanton destruction of our trails. This race needs to be stopped. It is a nuisance and ruins the forest for others. You wouldn't ride it in this condition if there wasn't a race. Why do it now?

I am ashamed to be lumped into the same collection of mountain bikers.

ShAME SHAME SHAME!

I know I am going to get trashed for agreeing with this guy but I have to say I think the trails could have used a break this weekend.
    I think IMBA agrees:
    http://www.imba.com/news/trail_news/..._14_3_mud.html
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

RIP- Team Blazing Saddles Calls Allamuchy Quits

Rain-o-mucchy is no more for Blazing Saddles.

After 4 years (uh...i think) of very respectible top 8 finishes (i think) in the 4 person team category we bailed after 2 laps each this year. The trail conditions were already marginal, which is ok by us as we love the rocky and rooty trails, but the rain this time around was just not in the cards for us. We collectivly said "hell no."

Our criteria were manyfold...

Rain+riding for hours='s major crotch rot. not fun.

Rain+ trails in the pre-existing condition="s bad trails and possible long term damage (remember running of the dogs in kittatinny 2 years ago with the rain and snow and mud flowing down the trails like lava)

Ran+mud+hours of riding ="s messed up bikes.

My tent flooded: bummer. even though there are easy solutions for that like camping on the raised paltforms which i did not do for some ungodly reason-???go figure.

Also contributing this year were there issues I'd like to explore....

1. too many unqualified solo riders. the trails were littred with what seemed like beginners this year. is this the result of 4 person teams racing as friends in the solo class? is it the result of endurance event marketing? Im not sure. comments and others obesrvations are welcome here.

2. only 17 4 person teams. We lost 1/3rd of the 4 person teams from last year. after we bailed on lap 8 there were 2 teams 1 lap head and 3 of us at 8 pretty close i think. im yet to look at standings but yes...we bailed...but the competition has shrunk in this class every year we have been there i think. someone may look that up and challenge me on ths but it sure felt funny having 150 solos and only a handful of 4 person teams.

3. where's all the money for this event going? active.com charges a $22.50 reg fee thats outrageous to process payments and we pay a ton of money for what seems like an event with EXCELLENT CREWS AND TIMING ELEMENTS but little beyond that with an atmosphere that is less than festive. Can someone provide a breakdown of the finding to us? i may be wrong here too so transparancy will solve that matter on behalf of the race promoters.

Wonder what others think about this, am interested to see how many bailed...like us....and what we all do next year.

Thanks the the 24 hr allamuchy crew and promoters for thier comittment to this event and to all the great riders weve met along the way. its been fun...

if we make it back call me a liar...while im chasin you down the trail!

seriously....

thanks...its been a great event but there are many desirables that remain to be answered and addressed if this event is to survive.

Regards,

Team Blazing Saddles.

Make some music
    Sep 2004

Lots of effort

Conditions were tuff. Looks like suffering was had by all. I prerode on Fri and stopped in on Sun. Thanks for the Pix...
    J.O.R.B.A. More than just tm. WWW.JORBA.ORG

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by idbrian
    IMBAman is back!
    Yes he is, but......it is a valid point. The trail user groups advocate protecting the environment from abuse; from what I see in those pictures that place got hammered.

So, what is the general opinion on the impact of a race like 24hr in those conditions?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    our last lap was during the initial hour of downpours. we bailed as we knew it would be ugly. but...we need to hear from the muddy people....to qualify the real impact. it could not have been good but then again....those trails are resilient and they will bounce back.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat tyres
    Yes he is, but......it is a valid point. The trail user groups advocate protecting the environment from abuse; from what I see in those pictures that place got hammered.

So, what is the general opinion on the impact of a race like 24hr in those conditions?
    Far be it for me to stick up for the 24 Hours coordinators, but...

After riding there for years and as part of the crew that does regular TM in Allamuchy, I can say that the trails that were used will bounce back and in a very short amount of time. Especially in Allamuchy, where the rider density is very low. The worst problems in Allamuchy are present in trails that are not used very much at all.

There are a bunch of trails in Allamuchy that have not been touched by a race, nor are they used that much by mountain bikers/hikers/horses. I invite everyone to check out the trails by Waterloo Road -- not used in races, not used that much, but there is lots of erosion.

Specifics? 1. From Waterloo Road parking lot, turn right onto Waterloo Road and then right into the woods onto the double track. That is one washed out trail -- not used in races. 2. From the Waterloo Road parking lot, proceed up the railtrail, turn left at Jefferson Lake. Follow that trail to the interection and turn right. Follow that trail and you will find one really washed out trail that is almost totally unridable. Again, not that much traffic there. 3. Enter at Cranberry Ledge Road and proceed up that trail. After the turn off on the right for the single track (which is used quite often and in good shape), the unused part of that trail becomes a washed out pile of rubble. 4. Another trail not used at all is in the Boy Scout camp near Dean's monument -- that one is a gulley now and has a stream running down the middle of it!!!

There are many more examples in there of sections that need serious repair that have not been used in races and are lightly ridden by mountain bikers. Quads have done some damage, but even that is fairly minimal.

In fact, I am going to go out on a limb here and say that the trails in the best condition in Allamuchy have all been used in races and the ones that don't get used are in the worst condition. Sure, there is a lot of TM that goes on in Allamuchy, but that goes on in other parks that aren't used for racing, too. Let the flaming begin.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Allamuchy Joe
    Let the flaming begin.
    I'm not gonna flame anyone, it's just that if your pic is up there or you participated in the race........then please do not slam those who ride in less than favorable conditions. Hypocrisy is not a great trait, I was just wondering what everyone thinks of the tread lightly, UNLESS RACING, attitude.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Flat tyres
    I'm not gonna flame anyone, it's just that if your pic is up there or you participated in the race........then please do not slam those who ride in less than favorable conditions. Hypocrisy is not a great trait, I was just wondering what everyone thinks of the tread lightly, UNLESS RACING, attitude.

Whatever. If you are concerned, contact the coordinators at
    www.24hoursofallamuchy.com -- perhaps, since they made money on the event if they hear from concerned individuals like yourself they may finance some TM work on the race course.

PS I didn't slam you for not participating in the race -- I just stated my opinion, which you asked for, right?

mtbr member
    I definitely wouldn't say "who cares, it is fun."

mtbr member
    i hiked the course backwards 3 miles, all i saw was rolling fire road. there was nothing that screamed OHHH erosion that harms the environment. that picture of the guy in red riding in the mud was the worst spot i saw and it was only 20 feet long. the rest were large mud puddles. now 2006 running of the dogs that was some crazy erosion but was the most fun i have EVER had on a bike, also my first race ever, and my first time riding on a trail.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    We were there for the 5th time and after a couple of top 5, two top 2 we finally pulled off a win! Yes there was a suprising lack of 4 person teams which was disapointing. As for the conditions, well you can't do much about that. That trail will rebound fine as it does year after year. We have raced and ridden motorcycles there for years in all conditions and the trail always comes back. Alot of those trails were cut many years ago by the Ridge Riders motorcycle club and were maintained by them and the local MTB contingent. As we no longer ride dirtbikes there, the mountain bike contingent have done an admirable job of maintaining the trail system but by themselves, they can't get to them all. As someone eariler stated, the trails not maintained are the ones in the worst shape.
    I might get flamed here as a moto guy but I don't really care. All user groups need to be concerned about image, but trust me, this area will heal quickly with a little TLC and be ready for next year.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    the last running of the dogs race was sick. visuals i will never forget with that mud. and the warm, cooldown, rain, sleet, snow, rain, freezing mess it was. CRAZY!

how did kitatinny recover? fine probably, right?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

It's fine

Kittatinny received 80 hours on TM in the 2 weeks post the Running of the Dogs. They are now what they were prior to that race. The race was even cancelled this year to quantify the recovery. The same respect was giving to Deer Park after its race.

As a racer of this years 24 of Allamucy, I will agree that the trails looked just as they did when we last raced that course. In fact, my old lines were better than the new lines and I couldn't understand "where the trail went" in regards to the race. Therefore, it will definitely heal itself.

Congrads to all the racers and support peoples who braved the weather and camping.
    TeamBulldog.com Cyclecraft.com Mtbnj.com JORBA.org

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jomissa
    3. where's all the money for this event going? active.com charges a $22.50 reg fee thats outrageous to process payments and we pay a ton of money for what seems like an event with EXCELLENT CREWS AND TIMING ELEMENTS but little beyond that with an atmosphere that is less than festive. Can someone provide a breakdown of the finding to us? i may be wrong here too so transparancy will solve that matter on behalf of the race promoters.
    I know the Boys Scouts get a their fair share for the rental of the camp. $140 for a weekend of racing is fairly cheap in my book. Look at the XC races, you pay around $35 for between 1 to 3 hrs of racing. Check out these crazy prices for Ganny Gear 24hrs races (http://www.grannygear.com/Register/p...cale&year=2007) IThe Active fee does seem a big outrageous though.

Quote Originally Posted by jomissa
    thanks...its been a great event but there are many desirables that remain to be answered and addressed if this event is to survive.
    It's been going strong for 14 yrs & they claim to have had 50 more riders than last year, I don't think that will be a problem, but what do I know.

I also said I wouldn't be back after last years rain, but I got sucked in any way, & also said the same thing yesterday & already have softened that stance.

Peace
    Jersey Off-Road Bicycle Association- Advocate, Educate and Conserve
    You Dig? WWW.JORBA.ORG

WWW.MTBNJ.COM

Come on winter!
    I know I'm not making any friends with this line of questioning but,

Does this serve any purpose:

?
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast