mtbr member
    Oct 2006

1st trip to Allaire this weekend

Hi all. I live in VA but will be visiting my folks this wknd, and hoping to get to Allaire Saturday or Sunday morning. Couple quick questions.

- The 'hospital lot' on the Gmaps- is that the best place to park? Are there any identifying markers I should look for? I've car-camped at Allaire long ago, but got there via the signs off Exit 98.

- Can you recommend me a suitable loop(s) that'll take 90-120 minutes roughly? About my skill level- beginner. I have a rigid SS bike (dinglespeed) with 38x20 and 42x16. In good shape, due to my 13 mile r/t daily commute to work and lots of longer road rides on weekends. For point of reference, I've done a bunch of rides at Lewis Morris without any problems, and down here in the DC area- Fountainhead, Accotink, and Difficult Run on the Ffx Connector Trail...

- What kinds of crowds can I expect? Is there a time of day after which I'll want to be out of there in regards to slowing people down on certain tracks?

JORBA
    Quote Originally Posted by knucklesandwich
    Hi all. I live in VA but will be visiting my folks this wknd, and hoping to get to Allaire Saturday or Sunday morning.
    How early do you plan on riding?

- The 'hospital lot' on the Gmaps- is that the best place to park? Are there any identifying markers I should look for? I've car-camped at Allaire long ago, but got there via the signs off Exit 98.
    Hospital Rd. parking lot is where the trail head is. Allaire has 2 campsites, so I'm not sure which one you camped at before. Near the hospital or I195? Anyway there are no markers at the lot.
    - Can you recommend me a suitable loop(s) that'll take 90-120 minutes roughly? About my skill level- beginner. I have a rigid SS bike (dinglespeed) with 38x20 and 42x16. In good shape, due to my 13 mile r/t daily commute to work and lots of longer road rides on weekends. For point of reference, I've done a bunch of rides at Lewis Morris without any problems, and down here in the DC area- Fountainhead, Accotink, and Difficult Run on the Ffx Connector Trail...
    You should be fine here. As far as a loop is concerned....I can take you on a tour if you don't want to go real early.PM me!

- What kinds of crowds can I expect? Is there a time of day after which I'll want to be out of there in regards to slowing people down on certain tracks?
    Horses, bikers, and a few runners.....real friendly place.
    Frank Harms
    JORBA President
    frank at jorba.org

mtbr member
    May 2007
    No better tour guide. I recommend hitting the serpentine trail, one of my favorites.
    I love my mtb. It helps me see the world in beautiful colors. Like brown, blue, brown, blue, brown, blue...

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

flow!

To me, of all the nice loops and trails at Allaire, the white trail has the most killer flow. You can really hammer but there's always a little climb or tight turn coming around the bend. It seems to sum up all the other parts of the park in one loop. I usually do the whole park and save that one to end the ride. Have fun.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Thanks for all the replies- shooting for probably 8am either Sat or Sun. The other day I will probably ride from Lavallette to the Squan bike trail to Allaire, on my Kona Jake, and see what kind of trails there are that that bike can handle, then head home.

JORBA
    - shooting for probably 8am either Sat or Sun.
    sorry, will be catching up on some sleep. Here's a map if you need one.
    http://www.jorba.org/cpg133/displayi...190&fullsize=1
    enjoy....you'll have fun.
    Frank Harms
    JORBA President
    frank at jorba.org

mtbr member
    I should be out there around then on sunday. I'll be on a blue Soul Cycles SS. I'll keep an eye out for the Jake.
    Last of The Allaire Bastards[SIZE="5"][/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I went to Allaire around 7:30 last Saturday morning and had a blast. Tried to stick mostly to the Orange trail but I was on and off it multiple times- musta cut some bits off it, because I definitely did not ride 16 miles in an hour and a half.
    38x20 seemed to be a perfect gear for me there; left my bike at my folks and am heading back up the weekend after this one.

You guys do a great job there, Frank.

JORBA
    Thanks....we do have a great crew of passionate people caring for Allaire.
    Real glad you had fun....shoot me a PM next time you're in town.
    Frank Harms
    JORBA President
    frank at jorba.org