mtbr member
    Jul 2007

1st time at Chimney Rock, WOW!

Can't believe what a great place that is. I didn't go too far with the miserable heat/humidity today but really had a blast up there. Only maybe 10 minute drive for me, too. I think 6 mile run has more of a scenic, winding trail that's nice to ride but CR has some awesome singletrack and very challenging climbs.
    Does anyone park by the bridge by the garbage cans or only in the park area?

mtbr member
    I'm a huge fan of Chimney Rock too, mostly because its close by and convenient. Once in a while I'll head over for an after work ride, and I'm amazed at how many other folks do the same. Sometimes the parking lot on a nice Wednesday afternoon is just as crowded as it is on a Sunday! The biggest problem with the place is that it gets muddy and doesn't dry out too quickly.

As for parking, I usually use the parking lot on Newmans Lane rather than the one on Chimney Rock Road.

I'm heading over there today- and keeping my fingers crossed for the weather.
    Last edited by supermike; 08-28-2007 at 11:31 AM.

Roof Rack Shredder
    Jul 2007
    I may have just been lost but are there more trails south of the old damn and across the street? I rode down the road to the quarry but did not see any trail heads ...

mtbr member
    May 2005

Trails south of damn

If you came out South of the damn, you actually need to cross Chimney Rock Road and make a left, head up the hill about 100 feet. The trail head is slightly up Chimney Rock road on the right, where the guard rail ends.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    What side of CR has the best trails, park side or quarry side?

mtbr member
    You can do a loop and hit all the sections. Both sides are good, and theres still another (smaller) section on the other side of Newman's Lane.

www.jorba.org
    Quote Originally Posted by edonthenet
    What side of CR has the best trails, park side or quarry side?
    both sides!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2007

cross newmans lane

Across newmans lane is a great loop thats just technical enough to be loads of fun.
    Cross chimmney rock rd. and go to right of guard rail for a real challenge.
    Continue to the yellow trail on the other side of Chimmney Rock rd. 2xchallenge.
    Finish on the red trails on the way back to Newmans lane. Every trail at CR is worth checking out explore them all.