mtbr member

Where to ride in Reno?

I am going up to Reno from Vegas in October to visit my parents and I'm thinking about bringing my bike. I will have one, maybe two mornings to get a couple hours in. Just wondering where I should ride? My parents live near Cabela's, down on the river, so I would prefer trails in that general area, I just don't want to have to drive too far to ride. Thanks everyone!

weirdo
    Cow Canyon comes to mind- right across the river from Cabelas. It`s been years since I`ve ridden it, so no idea what kind of condition it`s in, but I liked the fire road part (especially near the top) and usually passed on the sandy creekbed descent that gave the trail its other name: Endo Canyon. There are often large herds of mule deer near where the ST and the fire road diverge.
    Bull Creek Ranch Cow Canyon: Reno MTB and Reviews

Alternately, the USFS roads vrom Verdi through Dog Valley or to Verdi Peak are very scenic. You can see them on Google Maps, starts from Bridge St in Verdi or drive up and park at the top of the first climb (jct of Long Valley Rd and Henness Pass Rd) if you want to skip the washboard.

For sweet ST, motor to Galena/Whites/Jones Creeks. There will probably be some snow up there any time now, but the lower parts will have great fall colors, and you should be able to plow through any little bits of snow you might find even up higher.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info! I'm definitely going to have to check a couple of those spots out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I don't know about that area, but I would also suggest checking out the Peavine trails. You can go forever back there...not really recommended in the heat of the summer as it is totally exposed, but this time of year it is probably wonderful. I've only ridden there once for a couple of hours, but lots of fun. The main trails I ride in the Reno area are off Mt Rose highway so probably about 25 minutes from you. Tons of great trails there, based off all the creeks that drain off the Sierra. Jones/Whites Creek, Dry Pond, Thomas creek are all fantastic trails.