b a n n e d

What's the climbing like?

So I'm moving to Vegas for sure . . . out here in SoCal, I'm used to starting 99% of my rides with a 6-8 mile climb and average of 2500' of elevation followed by single-track rips back down. Are there similar loops/trails like this nearby in Vegas?
    Alcohol may lead nowhere, but it sure is the scenic route!

mtbr member
    None of our trails systems are in flat areas, so almost every trail will yield some climbing and some fun trips down. 2500 ft of elevation change is pretty substantial, can't say anything I have ridden around here has that much climbing. There are some trails with some downright ridiculous climbing if that is what you are looking for though. Much of our climbs are techy and steep, rather than long. As for downhill single track, there are some really fun trails around here that allow you to open your bike up. We have some pretty decent trail systems here, and some right over the border into Utah, so I think you will be satisfied.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Climbing showgirl to hill top on Mt. Charleston has to be around 2,500ft. I'd be curious what the elevation change is at cowboy trails...?

mtbr member
    I have never heard of showgirl. I have ridden Bristlecone which is like 1200 or something. I can check for cowboy, I rode with my gps watch up kibbles n bits to the over look above radio tower and down bob gnarly like 3 weeks ago. The Hurl at cottonwood is a ways up there as well, but that climb is more technical and steep as hell!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

b a n n e d
    The technical climbing is what will get me. I suck at it (though its likely because I don't have much practice with it).

mtbr member
    I have gotten better, but I have no shame in my hike-a-bike game!

b a n n e d
    For me, its kind of a personal mission to improve my climbing skills. I get very frustrated when I can't clean something, even something little.

Got any vids of the technical climbing?

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    For me, its kind of a personal mission to improve my climbing skills. I get very frustrated when I can't clean something, even something little.

Got any vids of the technical climbing?
    If you want technical climbing, go to Cowboy. There's some really tricky uphill stuff in Fossil Canyon, along with some sections of Outer Loop. Kibbles 'n Bits isn't quite as technical of a climb, or as punishing as Bunny and Fossil Canyon, but it's longer with more climbing (~900ft).

Also try climbing East Leg out at Bootleg, and if you're feeling really good, give Skyline a shot (also uphill).

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    The Hurl at Cottonwood isn't too bad. I ride a Haro rigid up this trail almost every week. There are basically only two fifty foot sections I walk over. My technical skills just can't conquer these two section. Everything else is just steady climbing. I'm sure the rigid factor really helps me out too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    agreed on Cowboy; it kicks my tail every time i go up that hill. It is very challenging and if you go all the way to the towers you will be tired. But the fun part is descending right back down the same trail that just kicked your trash.

I love this trail but curse it every time I ride it.

Big B's Trails
    Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post
    .....and if you're feeling really good, give Skyline a shot (also uphill).
    Are u referring to skyline at BBT?!?
    I dig dirt!