Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

For the Visitors: Las Vegas Area Trail Info

This is the beginning of a new sticky. It is intended to provide trail information to visitors so that they can maximize their enjoyment of the the great trail systems around Las Vegas. Feel free to add/ask anything.

For starters, we have three primary trail systems just outside of the Las Vegas Valley.

Cottonwood is a cross country style riding area and has everything from beginner to advanced and any combination of the two. It is located west of town off of highway 160. Here is a link to the MTBR reviews of the area.

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...1_4562crx.aspx

Many people park at a bike shop in the little town of Blue Diamond and access the trails from there. Here is a link to their web site.

http://mcghies.com/page.cfm?pageId=293

Cowboy Trails are a technical/advanced cross country style of riding area. They are located on the west side of town off of highway 159 near the entrance to the Red Rock visitors center, on the east side of the highway. Here is a link to the MTBR reviews of the area.

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...5_4562crx.aspx

I found this interesting link too

http://www.mountainbikebill.com/NVCowboyTrails.htm

Bootleg Canyon offers a variety of trail types from beginner cross country to crazy downhill. It is located just outside of Boulder City Nevada, which is 30 minutes or so east of Las Vegas. Here is a link to the official Bootleg Canyon site.

http://www.bootlegcanyon.org/

Here is a link the the MTBR reviews of Bootleg Canyon

http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/mountain-...5_6512crx.aspx

Here is a link to a bike shop near the trail head

http://www.allmountaincyclery.com/
    Last edited by Guy Cool; 02-13-2009 at 02:01 PM.

Lone Wolf McQuade
    Great job
    I should be out riding....

Single Malt
    Nice! This was much needed and long overdo!!
    ~~Cheers!!! PMF~~

The Hutch
    perfect we needed this!!!

mtbr member
    very cool, I am coming tomorrow - I'd like to ride but decided not to bring my bike on the plane so if I do I am renting. Shoes and shorts are packed..

Any "regular" weekly rides?

Hoping for a good ride followed by a (few) good beer(s)..

I am staying on the strip BTW

E !

Nice map of cottonwood

Here is a printable map of cottonwood that is well laid out.(thanks Matt.)
    Attached Images Attached Images

E !

Printable map of bootleg canyon

pulled from bootlegcanyon.org
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Thanks for the great info in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Cool
    Here is a link to a bike shop near the trail head

http://www.allmountaincyclery.com/
    About to sign up for their Bootleg tour on 3/14 and do some XC riding with some friends. From a quick search of this forum, it sounds like they are reputable. I'll be sure to report back on my experience though.
    Last edited by jmilliron; 02-19-2009 at 12:30 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

Visiting Vegas...looking for a group ride

Hey there-
    I'm visiting the strip this week and I'm looking for a group ride anywhere in the area on Thurs, Fri or Sat...Cottonwood or Bootleg Canyon or whatever. Anyone have any good ideas?
    Thanks,
    Babar
    bshafiq@gmail.com

mtbr member

Good info

Thanks for those. I like to show my pals out of state where to ride.

Don't forget the Mt. Charleston trails. During the summer months, those trails are getting busier and it's just not for downhill. Mt. Charleston Cowboy (Twilight?) and the Telegraph trails. Oh, and Bristlecone (this IS for visitors, right?, hey, it's where my then 10 year old started.. he's 12 now and riding Late Night)

I don't have links/maps for these trails. Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

DWlink Fanboy
    Dec 2006

Anyone around to ride Cottonwood or Cowboy Trails mornings April 1-3?

Hi,

I am going to be in Las Vegas April 1-3 for the CTIA show. I don't have to show up until 11AM, so I figure if I can get a ride in before 9:00-9:15AM, that should give me plenty of time to shower, have breakfast, and head over to work. Are there regular rides out of either Cottonwood or Cowboy Trails that start early in the morning on weekdays? I can bring lights if the rides start really early.

Albert

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmilliron
    Thanks for the great info in this thread.

About to sign up for their Bootleg tour on 3/14 and do some XC riding with some friends. From a quick search of this forum, it sounds like they are reputable. I'll be sure to report back on my experience though.
    Had an absolutely fantastic experience. Highly recommended tour, especially if you're in Vegas without a car. Was out there for the weekend so I just tossed my bike cloths, pedals and shoes into my carry on bag.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Although I think that the Bike Outpost probably puts out a good rental rig when needed, you don't want to get your own rig worked on at that shop. The chic working there is nowhere near as competent of a tech as would be expected, let alone what she will tell you about her skills. I would say she knows 1/4 of what she says. Yes, she is quick to tell anyone about her mastery of bike mechanics. She will also let you know her low opinion of your lack of mastery. Let me tell you about my first and only bike fix job with her.
    I took both of my bikes to her for new brake pads and bleeds on all of my lines. First of all, the bill was $300. Whatever. Then she tells me that the pivot pin on one of my Juicy 7 brake levers fell out while she was test riding my bike and that I would have to get new brakes. (of course it was not her fault) She said that NOTHING could be done. New brakes. I of course was very doubtful about this diagnosis so I called a buddy who works in a shop in Colorado and he laughed, and I got a new pivot for free.
    Now here we go into her major ineptitude and why you should never ask her to look at your bike. When I dropped the bikes off, (I was new to hydraulic brakes at the time) I asked her to also bring in my brake contact point on my lever. She showed me the "adjustment" screw and "adjusted" the lever. I didn't notice a difference but didn't care, so I left it in her care for the remainder of the repairs. I found out that the "adjustment" screw she used was actually the lock screw for the pivot, which she loosened and had drop out on her and lost; she acted like it was "just one of those things", but at least you get new brakes. Yeah, nothing like dropping some coin these days for a little fun. Anyway, I learned that there are two screws in there and she didn't know the difference and just chose the wrong one. She was on the bad side of 50/50. What amazing skill.
    Now for my other bike. I took it out for its first ride since being in her care and I end up eating shiite when I went for my rear brake going into a high speed corner and all of the sudden I had no rear brake because there was air in my line. The cause according to her; not her ineptitude, she, after all, is the best bike mechanic in the world, no, too many zip ties on the line. You could have 100 and it wouldn't matter. I had five from handle bar to rear brake and none of them in anyway kinked the line. I had ridden that bike with those ties for a while before I started to get a little play in the braking which was way worse after she "fixed" it.
    I know of a few people who have had similar experiences with her. When I was discussing this topic this morning with another regular area rider he acknowledged my perspective and added "yeah, she is crazy, I haven't been back there in a year" and told me stories (plural) similiar to mine.
    If Bishop were there none of this would have happened.
    This happened a while ago and I was just going to keep it to myself, but after talking to this other guy and rethinking what had happened I thought I should give a heads up on here so that maybe someone else does not have deal with this crap.
    Last edited by Guy Cool; 05-09-2009 at 12:53 PM.

Big B's Trails
    IDK who this chick is your talking about at the outpost buuut Bishop was a hack too ... his favorite tool was a hammer...hammers dont belong in bike shops. The only cool thing about bish was a beer would get ya a "remedy" for free. LOL I didnt even know bish was gone...course I havent been around for a coupla years, just got back into it this week...lovin it...it all seems new(sorta) again....

Viva la Vida!

Group Rides arround Las Vegas Valley and Bike Services

Hi there....

If anybody likes to ride with other people check meetup.com and look for the Las Vegas Mountain bike group we usually have rides 2 or 3 times a week with riders from all levels so if you ride regularly or are in town just visiting is a good place to check what is going on arround town. We also have a ride on MT. Charleston the next Saturday June 6 2009 National Trail Day sponsor by the US Forest Service. So it will be great to have tons of riders involved so that way the US Forest Service might help to create and promote more trails arround Las Vegas.

After reading about the bad service from the girl at the bike outpost I will recommend JT's on Horizon Ridge, Henderson. It is on the other side of town from me but I like their service there.
    The guys at Las Vegas Cyclery are also good.
    Last edited by Camaleon; 06-17-2009 at 05:41 PM.
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    bike king south rainbow..ray is the ****

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

need help planning ride

Hi. How come no one replies to the people looking for a "guide"

Anyways, I'm in the same situation. I'll be in vegas mid this month and looking for ppl to show me the works and give me some pointers.

I am available to ride these dates. I know its going to be blistering hot so that's why I am for early early morning and evening rides. THANKS

I can ride..
    Wed 8/19 evening
    Thu 8/20 morning and evening
    Fri 8/21 morning

Even if no one can show me around, where can I get the best trail map for self support and with the 4 opportunities to ride, what is the top for spots I need to hit as far as trail and overlooks.

Also, how does the whole getting the trailhead thing work?

THANKS. I really need some planning help.

EDIT: I'm viewing the trail system from Bootlegs site. Hopefully I can do mostly the west of the canyon on Wed evening. Then knock out the lake trails on Thurs with some venturing into the DH trails. Friday, maybe I'll just pay and shuttle the DH for as long as I can ride till later plans for the night. Am I sounding too ambitious?
    Last edited by THATmanMANNY; 08-03-2009 at 11:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by THATmanMANNY
    Hi. How come no one replies to the people looking for a "guide"

Anyways, I'm in the same situation. I'll be in vegas mid this month and looking for ppl to show me the works and give me some pointers.

I am available to ride these dates. I know its going to be blistering hot so that's why I am for early early morning and evening rides. THANKS

I can ride..
    Wed 8/19 evening
    Thu 8/20 morning and evening
    Fri 8/21 morning

Even if no one can show me around, where can I get the best trail map for self support and with the 4 opportunities to ride, what is the top for spots I need to hit as far as trail and overlooks.

Also, how does the whole getting the trailhead thing work?

THANKS. I really need some planning help.

EDIT: I'm viewing the trail system from Bootlegs site. What is the best way to flow through these trails?
    We might be able to help you on one of those days for an evening ride.

The best place to start is at the restrooms. Go up the canyon via Girl Scout. From there you have lots of options.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by pedsdoc
    We might be able to help you on one of those days for an evening ride.

The best place to start is at the restrooms. Go up the canyon via Girl Scout. From there you have lots of options.
    sweet. I will PM you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'll be staying just on the border of vegas. Im not going to rent a car. Save some cash moneeey. I'm going to make do with public transportation and getting around by bike. It seems like the buses run regularly, everyday, early morn and late night. SO if you see someone trying to hitch a ride to or at the trailhead please be kind to give them a lift.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    THANK YOU!!! to a man named Roger who showed me a way to get back into Henderson on the bicycle, pedsdoc for taking me riding with his friends, and even riding with Scott Johnson!, All Mountain Cyclery, the locals who keep this place running, etc.

I got in the 4 rides. Those new paved bike paths are a great addition to the town/park. I only got in one DH trail. I hope to return when shuttles are running. There is so much to cover here in just a couple of days so I focused on the XC stuff and got to mess around on the features located by the restrooms. I HAD AN EPIC ADVENTURE! And I'm very fortunate I got to ride before running into the two days it rains all year

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by THATmanMANNY
    THANK YOU!!! to a man named Roger who showed me a way to get back into Henderson on the bicycle, pedsdoc for taking me riding with his friends, and even riding with Scott Johnson!, All Mountain Cyclery, the locals who keep this place running, etc.

I got in the 4 rides. Those new paved bike paths are a great addition to the town/park. I only got in one DH trail. I hope to return when shuttles are running. There is so much to cover here in just a couple of days so I focused on the XC stuff and got to mess around on the features located by the restrooms. I HAD AN EPIC ADVENTURE! And I'm very fortunate I got to ride before running into the two days it rains all year
    Manny,

It's good to hear you enjoyed the riding at Bootleg Canyon. This is the only picture I was able to get of you riding. You were about to go down West Leg at night.

The Hutch

ride help

I am willing to show anyone around who is in need of a guide in the cottonwood/ blue diamond area .. I'll be riding anyway.... Just give me a PM...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks for the thread- I'll be in Vegas 1st week of Feb and would like to check out Bootleg DH trails. I've only got 1 day open. Do they run shuttles? Can I rent a bike out there somewhere? I won't have my own transportation so if some shops run guided trips or something I might be interested. I'm not interested in cross country. Any help would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Yes boulder city cyclery rents bikes at bootleg They also offer shuttle service

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast