• 02-27-2016
    Harold
    I'm going to be spending about a week in the area in about a week. Wife has a work conference in town, and we're both bringing our bikes along. I'll be doing more riding, as I won't have much else to do. She's planning to ride a few days. One day, we're going to take a day trip up to Hurricane/Virgin, UT and sample a bit of trail up there.

A local shop owner who's been to the area a number of times has recommended Cottonwood as his favorite trails in the Vegas area. I plan to sample bits of as much as I can in the time I'm there, but he likes a lot of the same kinds of riding I do and I trust his recommendations. He's been spot on for other places I've been so far.

I'm bringing my Salsa Bucksaw and can't wait to get some desert riding on it. Last time I was in the SW was over 10yrs ago now on a much older bike. The 'saw is so much more fun and I can't wait to take advantage. Gotta remember to buy some Stan's before I hit the trails, though.
  • 02-28-2016
    Hawg
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I'm going to be spending about a week in the area in about a week. Wife has a work conference in town, and we're both bringing our bikes along. I'll be doing more riding, as I won't have much else to do. She's planning to ride a few days. One day, we're going to take a day trip up to Hurricane/Virgin, UT and sample a bit of trail up there.

A local shop owner who's been to the area a number of times has recommended Cottonwood as his favorite trails in the Vegas area. I plan to sample bits of as much as I can in the time I'm there, but he likes a lot of the same kinds of riding I do and I trust his recommendations. He's been spot on for other places I've been so far.

I'm bringing my Salsa Bucksaw and can't wait to get some desert riding on it. Last time I was in the SW was over 10yrs ago now on a much older bike. The 'saw is so much more fun and I can't wait to take advantage. Gotta remember to buy some Stan's before I hit the trails, though.

Cottonwood is perfect for a fatty. Enjoy!
  • 02-29-2016
    702Biff
    I don't know your riding preferences but drop me a line when you get here. I'll try to get out and show you some of our favorite rides.
  • 02-29-2016
    Harold
    I'm not a downhiller, but I do enjoy a wide variety of stuff. I like a bit of tech, and ride trails labeled as single black diamond on a regular basis here at home. I also occasionally ride double black here at home rated as such from pure chunkiness. Not sure how that rating here compares to trail ratings out there. I will also ride double black stuff in the Southern Appalachians. I tend to walk a fair bit in both situations, partly because some of it is beyond me still, but partly because trying stuff wears me out. So far, none of that stuff includes mandatory air, though we do have some of those sorts of trails in development. Air is not my thing for the most part. I'm comfortable with a little bit of air, though, and more from drops than from jumps. For that matter, I don't want to push myself too hard on this trip. Don't want to break something on day 1 and be unable to ride the whole rest of the trip because I can't source the part soon enough, or the shop can't squeeze me in.

I probably would like to ride mostly intermediate stuff with maybe smaller samplings of more challenging trails, depending on how they compare to trails I'm familiar with.

I appreciate the offer to ride. I'll mostly be looking to ride in late mornings and early afternoons, FWIW. Maybe one or two late afternoon/evening rides with the wife.
  • 02-29-2016
    702Biff
    Here is a link to one of the newer most fun rides you will find anywhere. A tough climb with awesome terrain on the way down!

**Renew your stans, bring tubes & plugs**

Ikes Peek Loop Mountain Bike Trail, Enterprise, Nevada

Also add an out n back on good call from the top for extra fun miles!
  • 02-29-2016
    Harold
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 702Biff View Post
    Here is a link to one of the newer most fun rides you will find anywhere. A tough climb with awesome terrain on the way down!

**Renew your stans, bring tubes & plugs**

Ikes Peek Loop Mountain Bike Trail, Enterprise, Nevada

Also add an out n back on good call from the top for extra fun miles!

Nice views along that trail.

I'm planning to buy a fresh bottle of Stan's upon arrival in town. Forget plugs, I'll be bringing a spare set of TIRES (riding a fatbike, I've come to realize that it's impossible to find fat tires in stock in shops in many parts of the country - especially in warmer regions). I'd hate for a sidewall tear to end my week. I'll probably carry 2 tubes, though. That's a good idea. I also carry an adhesive boot and glueless patches.
  • 03-05-2016
    Harold
    Made it into town this morning. Got the bikes assembled and went for a spin at Cottonwood to stretch the legs. Fun ride. Ran into a couple from CA and learned we have a mutual friend. That was funny. They were out on Ventana tandem FS and we rode together for awhile since our plans were to ride the same loop anyway. I am taking Sunday off. It was windy enough today and we barely missed getting dumped on. I am not excited by the prospect of 30mph winds. Monday will be good to go ride again.

I'll need it. The strip is too much.
  • 03-09-2016
    nojoke
    Gonna be visiting the area for work from April 15th to around May 10th. I plan on bringing my sb66c with me, and doing some shuttle days at Bootleg, and was wondering what the best tire choice is down there?

Im sure its way different than the terrain I ride here in Alaska. I usually ride a Magic Mary up front, and Rock Razor in the rear, and it has always treated me well, good trade-off when you get aggressive with the bike, but pedals very well, and I have them setup tubeless, single ply. I assume the Rock Razor isn't a favorable tire in the loose conditions?

I plan on also hitting cottonwood, so might do some pedaling. I just don't wanna skimp on tire protection for bootleg, and the shuttles. Just dont ride the desert climates enough... Thanks in advance!
  • 03-10-2016
    johnnyspoke
    Quote:

Made it into town this morning. Got the bikes assembled and went for a spin at Cottonwood to stretch the legs. Fun ride. Ran into a couple from CA and learned we have a mutual friend. That was funny. They were out on Ventana tandem FS and we rode together for awhile since our plans were to ride the same loop anyway. I am taking Sunday off. It was windy enough today and we barely missed getting dumped on. I am not excited by the prospect of 30mph winds. Monday will be good to go ride again.

I'll need it. The strip is too much.

I was out there Monday as well! Hope you got a good ride in. A bit chilly but a fine day.
  • 03-11-2016
    Harold
    Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyspoke View Post
    I was out there Monday as well! Hope you got a good ride in. A bit chilly but a fine day.

Monday I hit Ike's Peek and Legalize It. On Tues, I visited the Cowboy Trails and did Kibbles & Bits with an attempted descent on Bomb Voyage. That trail is nuts. Poorly marked and delineated at the top with lots of hike-a-bike on the really steep, narrow, and rocky sections.

Went to Hurricane, UT on Wed and then rode a bit more at Cottonwood Thursday. Bikes are packed up for the flight home tomorrow. Nice week of riding. I'll put up a trip report in Passion after I get home. And after my Sat 30mi road ride.
  • 03-11-2016
    richde
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nojoke View Post
    Gonna be visiting the area for work from April 15th to around May 10th. I plan on bringing my sb66c with me, and doing some shuttle days at Bootleg, and was wondering what the best tire choice is down there?

Im sure its way different than the terrain I ride here in Alaska. I usually ride a Magic Mary up front, and Rock Razor in the rear, and it has always treated me well, good trade-off when you get aggressive with the bike, but pedals very well, and I have them setup tubeless, single ply. I assume the Rock Razor isn't a favorable tire in the loose conditions?

I plan on also hitting cottonwood, so might do some pedaling. I just don't wanna skimp on tire protection for bootleg, and the shuttles. Just dont ride the desert climates enough... Thanks in advance!

Maxxis. Bootleg isn't necessarily loose either, it's either rock, hardpack or loose over hard for the most part.

Bootleg also isn't the place to be going for the minimum pressure either. Several people (including "pros") flatted out within minutes of the start of the Super-D race in Jan...silly tourists.

Quote:

On Tues, I visited the Cowboy Trails and did Kibbles & Bits with an attempted descent on Bomb Voyage. That trail is nuts. Poorly marked and delineated at the top with lots of hike-a-bike on the really steep, narrow, and rocky sections..

Cowboy is a learning experience.
  • 03-11-2016
    Bad V2
    For Bootleg, depending on how hard you want to ride a tougher tire is better, especially in the rear. I run Specialized Butcher Control up front and Ground Control Grid in back. Lots of pointed and sharp rocks. Now if your smooth, you can get away with softer tires no problem. Carry a tube, just in case.
  • 03-13-2016
    nojoke
    Quote:

Originally Posted by richde View Post
    Maxxis. Bootleg isn't necessarily loose either, it's either rock, hardpack or loose over hard for the most part.

Bootleg also isn't the place to be going for the minimum pressure either. Several people (including "pros") flatted out within minutes of the start of the Super-D race in Jan...silly tourists.

Cowboy is a learning experience.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bad V2 View Post
    For Bootleg, depending on how hard you want to ride a tougher tire is better, especially in the rear. I run Specialized Butcher Control up front and Ground Control Grid in back. Lots of pointed and sharp rocks. Now if your smooth, you can get away with softer tires no problem. Carry a tube, just in case.

After reading these 2 reviews I will definitely be going with a tad more protection for the ride/pedal. Im not the smoothest rider by anymeans, probably wreckless/plow at times.

Usually ride 2.5 Butchers or 2.5 Minion DHF's Super Tacks on my DH bike @ 28-30psi, never had any issues with Kenda tubes, at home in AK or Whistler. Im just bring my trail bike, and was unsure of the tire choice. Hate being "that guy" spending more time messing with flats that riding.

Thanks!