Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 101 to 170 of 170
  1. #101
    I just wanna go fast!
    Reputation: bdamschen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,745
    Gonna be visiting mid april- is bootleg something you self-shuttle or is there a shuttle service that you have to hire? I've ridden there for races but never any other time.

  2. #102
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    674

    Shuttle Service

    Quote Originally Posted by bdamschen View Post
    Gonna be visiting mid april- is bootleg something you self-shuttle or is there a shuttle service that you have to hire? I've ridden there for races but never any other time.

    The shuttle service is run by All Mountain Cyclery (AMC) Friday, Sat., Sunday. Friday is usually free. You can self-shuttle also but you have to deal with them and the Bootleg Flightline shuttle on that narrow dirt road to the top. There are also locals and out-of-towners that self-shuttle on weekdays/weekends and you can hook-up with them in the parking area. Give AMC a call when it comes close to your visit date 702-453-2453 about their shuttle service if you're interested. Have fun and ride safe.

  3. #103
    I just wanna go fast!
    Reputation: bdamschen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,745
    Quote Originally Posted by pedsdoc View Post
    The shuttle service is run by All Mountain Cyclery (AMC) Friday, Sat., Sunday. Friday is usually free. You can self-shuttle also but you have to deal with them and the Bootleg Flightline shuttle on that narrow dirt road to the top. There are also locals and out-of-towners that self-shuttle on weekdays/weekends and you can hook-up with them in the parking area. Give AMC a call when it comes close to your visit date 702-453-2453 about their shuttle service if you're interested. Have fun and ride safe.
    Thanks for the heads up!

  4. #104
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    148
    A shout out to GuyCool for his recommendations earlier in this thread. My wife and I did Cottonwood with Bobby from McGhies and had a blast. We did about 22 mile IIRC which was challenging for my SO, but a cakewalk (albeit fun) for me .
    Bobby was great and stayed with my wife offering tips along the way. Can't wait to go back.

    To Hell with the strip, Vegas begs to be ridden...

  5. #105
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    88
    Saw the earlier recommendation post from Guy Cool and the latest post from ashaw and am looking forward to my guided tour with McGhie's in May. Thanks for the info.

  6. #106
    Big B's Trails
    Reputation: ImaFred's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1,724

    BBT Map
    I dig dirt!

  7. #107
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    86
    Hey all im in Vegas and have been wanting to.get into.this scene forever. I finally got my 06 7point and now im trying to find trails to.ride and ppl to ride with. When.and where does.everyone meet. And what's this BBT trail I see a map for.i can't read the street names.its way too.blurry. let me know when and where all.this local.group rides are.

  8. #108
    The New Guy
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    5
    Im new to the scene too really new to mtb i've only bmx in the past has a kid and teen now im older and getting into mt biking for fun and fitness reasons i like downhills mainly a ride a hard trail probably not the best but its what i have. I also want to know where group rides are, riding alone is kinda scetchy.

  9. #109
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    88
    Gotta give kudos to my guide Amy from McGhies's Bike Outpost. We had a nice 17+ mile ride out from the Blue Diamond store. She is a very professional and capable guide. The pace she set was fine for my level of riding and she even encouraged me to go on ahead on some of the climbs. The route she selected was a welcome break from the SF Bay Area trails that I usually ride. I highly recommend Amy for a guided MTB tour for any visitors looking for a break from the Las Vegas Strip.

  10. #110
    Viva la Vida!
    Reputation: Camaleon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    791

    Las Vegas Mountain Bike Group

    Quote Originally Posted by Schlep View Post
    Im new to the scene too really new to mtb i've only bmx in the past has a kid and teen now im older and getting into mt biking for fun and fitness reasons i like downhills mainly a ride a hard trail probably not the best but its what i have. I also want to know where group rides are, riding alone is kinda scetchy.
    The best resource in town when it comes to group rides with friendly and skilled MTB'ers is with out a doubt "Las Vegas Mountain Bike Group"
    Mountain Bike Las Vegas (Las Vegas, NV) - Meetup

    Come out and ride.
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing

  11. #111
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    86
    Headed out to bootleg round 1pm today if anyone wants to meet at the cycle shop...would love a buddy to ride with otherwise ima rock it by myself

  12. #112
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    562
    I posted in another thread as well, so my apologies for redundancy.

    I will be in Vegas this Saturday, May 19. I plan to ride Bear's Best. Not being familiar with the area, I can't say for sure how long getting to the shop (LV Cyclery) and picking up the bike (Tallboy!) will take, but my anticipated plan is to be at the trailhead by ~10am if not earlier. Looks like a high of about 95 Saturday.

    If anyone has an interest in joining me, you can post here or PM me. I leave Friday afternoon and won't likely have access after that. I'm 43, strong rider, nothing extreme but I have good endurance. I'll ride as long as you want. This will be my first 29er experience...

  13. #113
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1
    Will be visting Vegas from 22-29 June traveling from Sweden. I've seen all casinos and this time I am up for some mtb... I'll bring my clips and shoes.. I'm planning on renting a bike... Is there any gathering during those dates?

    I am thinking of trying some track/s at Blue Diamond... In worst case.. I'll go alone.. As I'm used to when cycling in Sweden

    P.m or post here ...

  14. #114
    CAMBr Trail Crew
    Reputation: DDDonny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    529
    Quote Originally Posted by maxton View Post
    Will be visting Vegas from 22-29 June traveling from Sweden. I've seen all casinos and this time I am up for some mtb... I'll bring my clips and shoes.. I'm planning on renting a bike... Is there any gathering during those dates?

    I am thinking of trying some track/s at Blue Diamond... In worst case.. I'll go alone.. As I'm used to when cycling in Sweden

    P.m or post here ...

    At that time it may be way too hot for day rides, but there's a good chance there'll be some night rides going on. You can always check back here on mtbr, and be sure to check here as well:

    Mountain Bike Las Vegas (Las Vegas, NV) - Meetup

  15. #115
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    584
    The bike shop for renting a bike in Blue Diamond's summer hours are 7:00 am to 3:00 pm. You should be okay starting asap after 7:00, but be done by 10:00 at the latest with pleny of water.

  16. #116
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3

    Looking for riding partner Thursday maybe Friday

    Anyone in town for SEG this week that wants to go riding? My schedule only allows for Thursday morning or Friday. Looking forward to see Bootleg and maybe Cottonwood this week.

    I may settle for a guide as it cuts down on the hassle and results in more trail time. If we can share it is not much more expensive even than just renting bikes.

    fwiw, I am a reasonably experienced rider. Mostly XC; ~40 miles/week. Good fitness level.

  17. #117
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    6
    XC rider bringing a Salsa Dos-Niner with 100mm front fork. Moderate speed & about 20-30 miles a week so no iron man trails.

    I am going to be arriving in Vegas Thursday afternoon and hope to get a ride in before the sun set and then again Friday morning. I have read the thread but am curious what people prefer? I am thinking either blue diamond or bootleg because they seem to get the most recognition. Any suggestion on one or two trails though that I should ride is much appreciated.

    Also I went through the Las Vegas Mountain Bike group on Meet-up.com but it seems I'm coming the one weekend they dont have anything planned. So with that does anyone want to take me around one of the trail heads?


    I will have a car and bike so none of that is a worry, I just want to be able to spend my time riding instead of searching out trails, that with my luck i'd pedal the wrong way and miss all of the fun stuff.

  18. #118
    Viva la Vida!
    Reputation: Camaleon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    791
    There you go you can join the meet up guys on a Thursday night ride.

    Thursday Nite Ride, Intermediate. - Mountain Bike Las Vegas (Las Vegas, NV) - Meetup
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing

  19. #119
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    6
    Dont know how I missed that I when I was combing through your group. I will look into that but would like to ride during the day time. So any other suggestions on some trails and maybe which way to ride them (counter clockwise or clockwise) would be awesome. If its like around here, San Diego, where little to nothing is properly marked, then I'll just have to wing it. Any general riding guidelines a visitor should know about for your area?

  20. #120
    Viva la Vida!
    Reputation: Camaleon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    791
    Bring lots of water and performance enhancing supplements.
    There's now also a ride posted for Saturday morning with another out of towner from OC.
    If you want to ride in the daytime all by yourself go to Blue diamond and at the McGhies bike outpost you can get lots of info as well as maps of Cottonwood then you can have a blast all by yourself out there.
    I might even be able to go ride on Friday morning if I do I will PM you
    Last edited by Camaleon; 11-07-2012 at 11:28 PM.
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing

  21. #121
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    6
    Thanks for the information. Got the 3L camelbak packed as well as some electrolyte powders and salt tabs if I end up going further than I anticipate. Sounds like Blue Diamond it is and the bike shop is actually part of the reason I was leaning towards that location. Always nice when you can get some info about the latest and the greatest before you head out.

    Thanks everyone for the help...can't wait to ride a new area

  22. #122
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    24
    We rode on the cottonwood trail system saturday, and we had so much fun that I won't go to Vegas without my bike anymore

    Thanks to McGhie's Outpost for the trails information !

  23. #123
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    3
    A week and a half ago, I had a chance to ride Cottonwood trails on a McGhie's outpost rental and Bootleg Canyon on an Allmountain Cyclery rental. Overall it was great experience thanks to the amazing landscape and well maintained trails. If I could give one negative, it would be the poor signage on both trail systems. For a city that gets so many visitors, it would be great if this could be addressed.
    Of the two trail systems, Cottonwood was my favorite; we rode Landmine, Mustang, Badger Pass, Dead Horse, and back. Trails consisted of long and relatively steady climbs with a few technical spots and generally fast but not super technical downhills. We rode these trails on a very windy day, but it didn't dampen the mood/experience.
    At Bootleg the views over Lake Mead and the volcanic rock on the caldera/big mother trails were amazing; I rode Lakeview Middle/Upper, GirlScout (up), Inner Caldera, Caldera to Big Mother to Mother. As they say, flow is in the rider, not the trail, but all the narrow benchcut and ups and downs through gullies made sure that I didn't have it... A broken chain made for an early end to the day, unfortunately, or I would have seen more of this place.
    Last edited by mibike; 11-18-2012 at 04:33 PM.

  24. #124
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    13

    need your recommendations

    coming to Vegas for work dec 9-11 sunday pm to tuesday afternoon. I really want to try and get a quick ride since it may be my only chance to ride some epic nevada trail for some time. I think i have a 2-3 hour window to ride. Where would you recommend I ride? Bootleg, Red Rock, somewhere else? Specific trails i should focus on? I'm a experienced rider/racer. Rental locations? Sadly, i won't be bringing the sworks. Looking to ride either sunday around 2pm or tuesday morning till noon. anyone want to take me for a ride? =) I'm staying on the strip.

    thanks Jason

  25. #125
    mtbr member
    Reputation: knoob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    615
    Quote Originally Posted by boy1dr View Post
    coming to Vegas for work dec 9-11 sunday pm to tuesday afternoon. I think i have a 2-3 hour window to ride. Where would you recommend I ride? Bootleg, Red Rock, somewhere else?Looking to ride either sunday around 2pm or tuesday morning till noon.

    thanks Jason
    LV Cyclery or McGhies Outpost and ride Cottonwood.
    All Mountain in Boulder City and ride Bootleg.
    If you want Epic, than Bootleg would be my suggestion. Ride Mother,Ernie's Epic,West Leg.
    Wherever you rent from can help with route's.
    LVC & McGhies offer tours.
    It gets dark about 4:20ish then so keep that in mind also.

  26. #126
    Bend, OR
    Reputation: Ross W.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    620
    Quote Originally Posted by E ! View Post
    Here is a printable map of cottonwood that is well laid out.(thanks Matt.)
    Coming to ride Bootleg and Cottonwood this weekend, I notice this map is a few years old, is it still pretty accurate? I plan to drop by Mcghies in Blue Diamond for a map, but I'm not sure if they'll be open on Christmas eve.

    Edit: hmm, the map didn't post in the quote, but it's the first one posted in the thread.

  27. #127
    Viva la Vida!
    Reputation: Camaleon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    791
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross W. View Post
    Coming to ride Bootleg and Cottonwood this weekend, I notice this map is a few years old, is it still pretty accurate? I plan to drop by Mcghies in Blue Diamond for a map, but I'm not sure if they'll be open on Christmas eve.

    Edit: hmm, the map didn't post in the quote, but it's the first one posted in the thread.
    Make sure you can get a bike before you get there.
    Once you are there you will be fine with that map otherwise you can get a better map from the bike outpost or just talk to Chris and you will be alright Cottonwood is easy to navigate and there's a lot of traffic so most likely you will run in to riders than can point you in the right direction
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing

  28. #128
    mtbr member
    Reputation: knoob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    615
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross W. View Post
    Coming to ride Bootleg and Cottonwood this weekend, I notice this map is a few years old, is it still pretty accurate? I plan to drop by Mcghies in Blue Diamond for a map, but I'm not sure if they'll be open on Christmas eve.

    Edit: hmm, the map didn't post in the quote, but it's the first one posted in the thread.
    Yea, not much has changed at Cottonwood. There "might" be some that aren't shown on the Map.

    At Bootleg Power pole is closed and there is a new trail that starts at Railroad Pass and takes you up to the Caldera.

    Bears Best at Town Center/215 if you are staying on that side of town you can get a really fun 10-12mi in close to town. See thread here in NV forum.

    Enjoy

  29. #129
    Bend, OR
    Reputation: Ross W.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    620
    Thanks for the quick replies guys.

    We'll have our own bikes with us, so no worries there. I'll stop by Mcghies for a better map if it's open.

  30. #130
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation: big0mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,886
    Cowboy Trails FtMFW! That's my recommendation and I'm sticking to it.

  31. #131
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    105
    Great Info!

  32. #132
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    38
    I have been riding Amargosa trail by Horizon Ridge/Horizon in Henderson. Some of the switchbacks have sandy washouts but aside from that, it is a pretty decent trail. Lots of hikers so don't plan on showing off your DH skills since you will likely need to yield a few times in your descent.

  33. #133
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    88
    Heading To Las Vegas tomorrow morning with bike (Giant Anthem X29 1) in tow. Planning a couple of rides (solo) for now unless anyone wants to join me for a 20 miler out of Blue Diamond on Tuesday morning and then checking out BBT (1st time there) on Wednesday morning. Strong intermediate XC rider.
    Last edited by boarder831; 09-22-2013 at 10:37 AM. Reason: riding style

  34. #134
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    88
    Got no replies but still managed a nice solo ride out of Blue Diamond and met a local on the trail who hooked me up with some general area knowledge.

    Great fun on this route. Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Cottonwood Valley @ Blue Diamond near United States | Times and Records | Strava

  35. #135
    :\ ping of death
    Reputation: phoeneous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,062
    Quote Originally Posted by boarder831 View Post
    Got no replies but still managed a nice solo ride out of Blue Diamond and met a local on the trail who hooked me up with some general area knowledge.

    Great fun on this route. Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Cottonwood Valley @ Blue Diamond near United States | Times and Records | Strava

    We will be at latenight tomorrow 6:30am if you're still here. Group of 3-5.
    What the hell is an aluminum falcon?

  36. #136
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    88
    Thanks for the invite but heading home from this Vegas adventure. Enjoyed 2 rides @ Cottonwood and 1 @ Bears Best Trails. A nice change riding in the desert from the terrain in NorCal. Already looking forward to next year's trip.

  37. #137
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2
    Hey everyone, coming into town this weekend. Anyone interested in hooking up for a ride? No plans but figured Bootleg or Cottonwood would be fun.

  38. #138
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    38
    Quote Originally Posted by KDfromCO View Post
    Hey everyone, coming into town this weekend. Anyone interested in hooking up for a ride? No plans but figured Bootleg or Cottonwood would be fun.
    I will probably be hitting bears best trail (Summerlin area) on Saturday morning. You are more than welcome to come along. If you are interested, PM me your contact info.

    There is also a meetup beginner cottonwood ride at 10:30. They usually welcome all skill levels.
    Last edited by Kevlar3D; 10-29-2013 at 04:17 PM.

  39. #139
    Viva la Vida!
    Reputation: Camaleon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    791
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevlar3D View Post
    Edit- there is also a meetup beginner cottonwood ride at 10:30. They usually welcome all skill levels.
    ^^ If you are in town why not ride with the best riders in town and for FREE.
    BEGINNER RIDE, Slow pace - fun ride at Cottonwood(Late Night Lot) - Mountain Bike Las Vegas (Las Vegas , NV) - Meetup
    They will be all kind of riders with different skills and riding at different paces 3-5 mph, 5-7 mph, 7-10 mph, 10-15 mph etc.. and anywhere from 5 to 25+ miles so suite yourself.
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing

  40. #140
    lets ride
    Reputation: hazmatt480's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    60
    I'm looking to do some riding Sunday morning. Anyone care to show me around? I'm an intermediate rider, slow/decent climber and really enjoy technical climbs and decents. I usually put in 20 - 50 miles a ride.... usually 3-5 hours +/-
    I'm staying near cottonwood trail but can go wherever.
    I'll bring the beer! Thanks!

    Matt

  41. #141
    CAMBr Trail Crew
    Reputation: DDDonny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    529
    Quote Originally Posted by hazmatt480 View Post
    I'm looking to do some riding Sunday morning. Anyone care to show me around? I'm an intermediate rider, slow/decent climber and really enjoy technical climbs and decents. I usually put in 20 - 50 miles a ride.... usually 3-5 hours +/-
    I'm staying near cottonwood trail but can go wherever.
    I'll bring the beer! Thanks!

    Matt
    Hey Matt, try posting here ---> Mountain Bike Las Vegas (Las Vegas , NV) - Meetup

  42. #142
    lets ride
    Reputation: hazmatt480's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    60
    Just did, thanks for the advice. Hopefully it works out!

  43. #143
    :\ ping of death
    Reputation: phoeneous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,062
    Quote Originally Posted by hazmatt480 View Post
    I'm looking to do some riding Sunday morning. Anyone care to show me around? I'm an intermediate rider, slow/decent climber and really enjoy technical climbs and decents. I usually put in 20 - 50 miles a ride.... usually 3-5 hours +/-
    I'm staying near cottonwood trail but can go wherever.
    I'll bring the beer! Thanks!

    Matt
    What time were you thinking?
    What the hell is an aluminum falcon?

  44. #144
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 702Biff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    108

  45. #145
    mtbr member
    Reputation: EugeneTheJeep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    593
    Thanks all for the great info on this thread I'm just getting back into biking after not riding for a great while. Was looking for some fun easy and "close to town" trails to ride on. Thanks!

  46. #146
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    7
    Hey, I think I will be heading down to the Vegas area in the beginning of April, I am curious if there is much free camping around the trail heads like bootleg canyon and such?

  47. #147
    mtbr member
    Reputation: knoob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    615
    Bootleg, yes right at the trail head. Not so much at any of the others.

  48. #148
    Old,slow,still havin fun.
    Reputation: fgiraffe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    960
    Thanks for all the good info in this thread! I just had two good rides at Bootleg plus one at Cottonwood out of Blue Diamond. I had hoped to hit BBT or Cowboy but riding three of four days I was in town was about all I could handle.

    I rode Landmine Loop and there were so many intersections I was constantly leery of getting lost. What is up with marking intersections with blank carsonite markers? I got some info from McGhie's but I'd like a paper map for next time. Is there a decent printable map of Cottonwood? (simple, black and white like the Bootleg map)?

    Las Vegas area riders are very very lucky to have these public trail systems. Next time I hope my fitness level is up to meeting up with some of you to ride.

  49. #149
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    83
    Lived in Vegas since 2007 and I still have not been Mtn Biking in Vegas yet! soon though... soon enough...

  50. #150
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    130
    Quote Originally Posted by Erich von Cartmann View Post
    Lived in Vegas since 2007 and I still have not been Mtn Biking in Vegas yet! soon though... soon enough...
    Get after it. Fifteen years ago I was off-road motorcycling all around town. Started fat biking a couple of months ago but can't get out too much. It is a blast though!

  51. #151
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    20,087
    I'm going to be spending about a week in the area in about a week. Wife has a work conference in town, and we're both bringing our bikes along. I'll be doing more riding, as I won't have much else to do. She's planning to ride a few days. One day, we're going to take a day trip up to Hurricane/Virgin, UT and sample a bit of trail up there.

    A local shop owner who's been to the area a number of times has recommended Cottonwood as his favorite trails in the Vegas area. I plan to sample bits of as much as I can in the time I'm there, but he likes a lot of the same kinds of riding I do and I trust his recommendations. He's been spot on for other places I've been so far.

    I'm bringing my Salsa Bucksaw and can't wait to get some desert riding on it. Last time I was in the SW was over 10yrs ago now on a much older bike. The 'saw is so much more fun and I can't wait to take advantage. Gotta remember to buy some Stan's before I hit the trails, though.

  52. #152
    Binned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    24,862
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    I'm going to be spending about a week in the area in about a week. Wife has a work conference in town, and we're both bringing our bikes along. I'll be doing more riding, as I won't have much else to do. She's planning to ride a few days. One day, we're going to take a day trip up to Hurricane/Virgin, UT and sample a bit of trail up there.

    A local shop owner who's been to the area a number of times has recommended Cottonwood as his favorite trails in the Vegas area. I plan to sample bits of as much as I can in the time I'm there, but he likes a lot of the same kinds of riding I do and I trust his recommendations. He's been spot on for other places I've been so far.

    I'm bringing my Salsa Bucksaw and can't wait to get some desert riding on it. Last time I was in the SW was over 10yrs ago now on a much older bike. The 'saw is so much more fun and I can't wait to take advantage. Gotta remember to buy some Stan's before I hit the trails, though.
    Cottonwood is perfect for a fatty. Enjoy!

  53. #153
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 702Biff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    108
    I don't know your riding preferences but drop me a line when you get here. I'll try to get out and show you some of our favorite rides.

  54. #154
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    20,087
    I'm not a downhiller, but I do enjoy a wide variety of stuff. I like a bit of tech, and ride trails labeled as single black diamond on a regular basis here at home. I also occasionally ride double black here at home rated as such from pure chunkiness. Not sure how that rating here compares to trail ratings out there. I will also ride double black stuff in the Southern Appalachians. I tend to walk a fair bit in both situations, partly because some of it is beyond me still, but partly because trying stuff wears me out. So far, none of that stuff includes mandatory air, though we do have some of those sorts of trails in development. Air is not my thing for the most part. I'm comfortable with a little bit of air, though, and more from drops than from jumps. For that matter, I don't want to push myself too hard on this trip. Don't want to break something on day 1 and be unable to ride the whole rest of the trip because I can't source the part soon enough, or the shop can't squeeze me in.

    I probably would like to ride mostly intermediate stuff with maybe smaller samplings of more challenging trails, depending on how they compare to trails I'm familiar with.

    I appreciate the offer to ride. I'll mostly be looking to ride in late mornings and early afternoons, FWIW. Maybe one or two late afternoon/evening rides with the wife.

  55. #155
    mtbr member
    Reputation: 702Biff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    108
    Here is a link to one of the newer most fun rides you will find anywhere. A tough climb with awesome terrain on the way down!

    **Renew your stans, bring tubes & plugs**

    Ikes Peek Loop Mountain Bike Trail, Enterprise, Nevada

    Also add an out n back on good call from the top for extra fun miles!

  56. #156
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    20,087
    Quote Originally Posted by 702Biff View Post
    Here is a link to one of the newer most fun rides you will find anywhere. A tough climb with awesome terrain on the way down!

    **Renew your stans, bring tubes & plugs**

    Ikes Peek Loop Mountain Bike Trail, Enterprise, Nevada

    Also add an out n back on good call from the top for extra fun miles!
    Nice views along that trail.

    I'm planning to buy a fresh bottle of Stan's upon arrival in town. Forget plugs, I'll be bringing a spare set of TIRES (riding a fatbike, I've come to realize that it's impossible to find fat tires in stock in shops in many parts of the country - especially in warmer regions). I'd hate for a sidewall tear to end my week. I'll probably carry 2 tubes, though. That's a good idea. I also carry an adhesive boot and glueless patches.

  57. #157
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    20,087
    Made it into town this morning. Got the bikes assembled and went for a spin at Cottonwood to stretch the legs. Fun ride. Ran into a couple from CA and learned we have a mutual friend. That was funny. They were out on Ventana tandem FS and we rode together for awhile since our plans were to ride the same loop anyway. I am taking Sunday off. It was windy enough today and we barely missed getting dumped on. I am not excited by the prospect of 30mph winds. Monday will be good to go ride again.

    I'll need it. The strip is too much.

  58. #158
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nojoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    311
    Gonna be visiting the area for work from April 15th to around May 10th. I plan on bringing my sb66c with me, and doing some shuttle days at Bootleg, and was wondering what the best tire choice is down there?

    Im sure its way different than the terrain I ride here in Alaska. I usually ride a Magic Mary up front, and Rock Razor in the rear, and it has always treated me well, good trade-off when you get aggressive with the bike, but pedals very well, and I have them setup tubeless, single ply. I assume the Rock Razor isn't a favorable tire in the loose conditions?

    I plan on also hitting cottonwood, so might do some pedaling. I just don't wanna skimp on tire protection for bootleg, and the shuttles. Just dont ride the desert climates enough... Thanks in advance!

  59. #159
    mtbr member
    Reputation: johnnyspoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    932
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Made it into town this morning. Got the bikes assembled and went for a spin at Cottonwood to stretch the legs. Fun ride. Ran into a couple from CA and learned we have a mutual friend. That was funny. They were out on Ventana tandem FS and we rode together for awhile since our plans were to ride the same loop anyway. I am taking Sunday off. It was windy enough today and we barely missed getting dumped on. I am not excited by the prospect of 30mph winds. Monday will be good to go ride again.

    I'll need it. The strip is too much.
    I was out there Monday as well! Hope you got a good ride in. A bit chilly but a fine day.
    I'm looking forward to regretting this.......

  60. #160
    since 4/10/2009
    Reputation: Harold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    20,087
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyspoke View Post
    I was out there Monday as well! Hope you got a good ride in. A bit chilly but a fine day.
    Monday I hit Ike's Peek and Legalize It. On Tues, I visited the Cowboy Trails and did Kibbles & Bits with an attempted descent on Bomb Voyage. That trail is nuts. Poorly marked and delineated at the top with lots of hike-a-bike on the really steep, narrow, and rocky sections.

    Went to Hurricane, UT on Wed and then rode a bit more at Cottonwood Thursday. Bikes are packed up for the flight home tomorrow. Nice week of riding. I'll put up a trip report in Passion after I get home. And after my Sat 30mi road ride.

  61. #161
    Professional Slacker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    2,464
    Quote Originally Posted by nojoke View Post
    Gonna be visiting the area for work from April 15th to around May 10th. I plan on bringing my sb66c with me, and doing some shuttle days at Bootleg, and was wondering what the best tire choice is down there?

    Im sure its way different than the terrain I ride here in Alaska. I usually ride a Magic Mary up front, and Rock Razor in the rear, and it has always treated me well, good trade-off when you get aggressive with the bike, but pedals very well, and I have them setup tubeless, single ply. I assume the Rock Razor isn't a favorable tire in the loose conditions?

    I plan on also hitting cottonwood, so might do some pedaling. I just don't wanna skimp on tire protection for bootleg, and the shuttles. Just dont ride the desert climates enough... Thanks in advance!
    Maxxis. Bootleg isn't necessarily loose either, it's either rock, hardpack or loose over hard for the most part.

    Bootleg also isn't the place to be going for the minimum pressure either. Several people (including "pros") flatted out within minutes of the start of the Super-D race in Jan...silly tourists.

    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    On Tues, I visited the Cowboy Trails and did Kibbles & Bits with an attempted descent on Bomb Voyage. That trail is nuts. Poorly marked and delineated at the top with lots of hike-a-bike on the really steep, narrow, and rocky sections..
    Cowboy is a learning experience.

  62. #162
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    124
    For Bootleg, depending on how hard you want to ride a tougher tire is better, especially in the rear. I run Specialized Butcher Control up front and Ground Control Grid in back. Lots of pointed and sharp rocks. Now if your smooth, you can get away with softer tires no problem. Carry a tube, just in case.

  63. #163
    mtbr member
    Reputation: nojoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    311
    Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post
    Maxxis. Bootleg isn't necessarily loose either, it's either rock, hardpack or loose over hard for the most part.

    Bootleg also isn't the place to be going for the minimum pressure either. Several people (including "pros") flatted out within minutes of the start of the Super-D race in Jan...silly tourists.



    Cowboy is a learning experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad V2 View Post
    For Bootleg, depending on how hard you want to ride a tougher tire is better, especially in the rear. I run Specialized Butcher Control up front and Ground Control Grid in back. Lots of pointed and sharp rocks. Now if your smooth, you can get away with softer tires no problem. Carry a tube, just in case.

    After reading these 2 reviews I will definitely be going with a tad more protection for the ride/pedal. Im not the smoothest rider by anymeans, probably wreckless/plow at times.


    Usually ride 2.5 Butchers or 2.5 Minion DHF's Super Tacks on my DH bike @ 28-30psi, never had any issues with Kenda tubes, at home in AK or Whistler. Im just bring my trail bike, and was unsure of the tire choice. Hate being "that guy" spending more time messing with flats that riding.


    Thanks!

  64. #164
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BADDANDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    161
    2015 Giant Stance 2 - 1 X 10 11/42 30T
    2016 Diamondback Insight 2

  65. #165
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    6
    I've read through a good chunk of this but am wondering about current conditions? I'll be in the LA area end of March and am planning out my week and where I should stay to get close to some advanced level trails. Coming from the PNW and am looking for some sun, a some good technical, good flow, and good long days of majestic riding.
    Any thing not to miss areas newer than the sticky on this thread?

  66. #166
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    134
    Just finished two 10-15 mile rides at Cottonwood and Bear's Best. Wonderful trails though a bit hard to navigate with lots of unmarked options. No mud and lots of flow! I know comparisons are bad, but as a senior (age) intermediate (skill) rider, coming from Santa Cruz and having just ridden 4 days around Hurricane and St George, these trails stack up with the best and very close to town.

  67. #167
    Cycologist
    Reputation: chazpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,796
    Quote Originally Posted by dman_mb1 View Post
    Just finished two 10-15 mile rides at Cottonwood and Bear's Best. Wonderful trails though a bit hard to navigate with lots of unmarked options. No mud and lots of flow! I know comparisons are bad, but as a senior (age) intermediate (skill) rider, coming from Santa Cruz and having just ridden 4 days around Hurricane and St George, these trails stack up with the best and very close to town.
    Awesome! I'm riding Cottonwood tomorrow, can't wait! It will be a lot different than the East Coast under canopy trails I'm used to. I've hiked at Red Rock a couple of times but this will be my first time mountain biking there.
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." -Douglas Adams.

  68. #168
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    112
    This is a pretty awsome thread. I missed it before posting my own thread asking about places to ride. Probably all my questions are already answered here. I'm wondering if somone local would care to see if its needs any updating as it's an outstanding resource to those of us vacationing in Vegas and wanting to take in some local trails while we're there.

  69. #169
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    27
    Took a 2 night trip to vegas. Last week. Went solo. Got to ride girl scout, imba, and pow. Can't wait to get back out there and explore more trails. Being from san diego i hope to be back often.

  70. #170
    No Clue Crew
    Reputation: big0mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,886
    Quote Originally Posted by sd_fox_racer View Post
    Took a 2 night trip to vegas. Last week. Went solo. Got to ride girl scout, imba, and pow. Can't wait to get back out there and explore more trails. Being from san diego i hope to be back often.
    Cowboy Trails are exponentially better than those at Bootleg. Provided you like chunk anyway...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Members who have read this thread: 44

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •