Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Trenchville

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Trenchville

Some idiot has decided that there are major water problems at Cottonwood and has "fixed" the "problem" with a lot of waterbars. They are ridiculous in number and location as a few are at high points on the trail. I don't know how someone could be so bored. Anyway...I spent my time yesterday filling in 20+ trenches rather than riding unfortunately. I am sure there are more, so please help. I picked up a nice digging tool at the dump.
    Last edited by Guy Cool; 05-15-2013 at 05:41 PM.

mtbr member

Re: Trenchville

Where were these waterbars at. I hope you don't say three Mile Smile or Deadhorse! If so your really going to hate all the time YOUR GOING TO HAVE TO SPEND UN-DOING YOUR VANDALIZM!!!!!!

Big B's Trails
    Hold up while I go make some popcorn for this one...

All jokes aside I must say 3 mile smile is the best it's been in a long while
    I dig dirt!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I know ypu ment well but I'm sure those water bars had some functionality to them. On the other hand all of the loose rocks and gravel that we get out there does not. Maybe next time you feel like doing some trail maintenance you do a little sweeping/raking. I'd be happy to join you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The ones I fixed yesterday were on Landmine. The ones I fixed today were on Little Daytona. Digging trenches in a trail where there are no water issues is vandalism and a horrible idea. Cottonwood is fine and fun as is, but getting worse with wussifacation; and now tons of random trenches in the trail? Trenches are effectively a speed bump and a major buzz kill. Someone is way too bored or needs to somehow justify their job and is clueless about the joys of mountain biking.
    I spend my summers as a professional trail builder at a bike park in Colorado. I am no novice to trail work.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Those water bars had no function and were speed bumps, and I do a lot of loose rock removal out there all by myself. It's not hard.

mtbr member

Well let's hope that they were not put there by Great Basin Institute( GBI) who is working for the BLM out there for the next little while. Because if they where your hurting a relationship that SNMBA has spent YEARS getting to where it is .
    And so if you would please not FIX ANYTHING ELSE til we know WHO is putting them in.....but feel free to rake the MILES of trail that still have LOOSE crap in the tread.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Cool View Post
    The ones I fixed yesterday were on Landmine. The ones I fixed today were on Little Daytona. Digging trenches in a trail where there are no water issues is vandalism and a horrible idea. Cottonwood is fine and fun as is, but getting worse with wussifacation; and now tons of random trenches in the trail? Trenches are effectively a speed bump and a major buzz kill. Someone is way too bored or needs to somehow justify their job and is clueless about the joys of mountain biking.
    I spend my summers as a professional trail builder at a bike park in Colorado. I am no novice to trail work.
    If you want to do trail work, go back to Colorado and quit wussifying our trails. In case you didn't notice, on the rare occasion where it does rain here, it causes massive trail damage, and it will again thanks to the work of jackasses like yourself.

Maybe you should stick to fire roads if a few water bars are too technical for you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Hello, McFly...have you ridden this bs? How is filling in trenches similar to removing difficult obstacles trail wussification? There is no problem with rain on these trails. I can't believe anyone would do this let alone a mountain biker defending this trail destruction. How can you defend unnecessary speed bumps?
    Yes it is the GBI people as I stopped and talked to them today. How are they such good partners if they are hurting a great mountain biking experience? Seriously, do you like to go fast on a mountain bike? Otherwise go hiking or enjoy your couch.
    It is good to hear that the GBI trail @#@#@'s will be gone soon.

E !
    Remember when last summers monsoon storms pretty much washed away the trails?
    Water bars or any type of water diversion will greatly help the trails. They have been known to turn into rain gutters in years past.
    the - E - dog

mtbr member

Hello, McFly...have you ridden this bs? How is filling in trenches similar to removing difficult obstacles trail wussification? There is no problem with rain on these trails. I can't believe anyone would do this let alone a mountain biker defending this trail destruction. How can you defend unnecessary speed bumps?
    Yes it is the GBI people as I stopped and talked to them today.
    How is YOU changing something YOU don't like to suit YOUR WANT'S any different to wussifcation? IT'S NOT!!!!

DO YOU UNDERSTAND YOUR ACTIONS EQUATE TO TELLING THE LAND MANAGER.....FVCK YOU, I DON'T RESPECT YOUR AUTHORITY TO MANANGE OUR NATIONAL CONSERVATION AREA.
    Oh but guess what.....he does have the authority to BAN US, ARREST YOU and make you the most hated person in the MTB community. Well really you took care of the last one all by yourself
    McFVCKING FLY!!!!

Are you starting to understand the extent of your inability to ride over some " speed bumps " repercussion on the WHOLE MTB'ing community?

Edit: theres only 37 speling grammur and punctation. And I dont care!!!

Edit;edit: What E said too!!!!!

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Yes it is the GBI people as I stopped and talked to them today. How are they such good partners if they are hurting a great mountain biking experience? Seriously, do you like to go fast on a mountain bike? Otherwise go hiking or enjoy your couch.
    It is good to hear that the GBI trail @#@#@'s will be gone soon.
    Understand that you are performing illegal trail work, and if one of us catches you, you will be reported to the BLM.

The only person ruining the experience is you, when those trails get washed away again this fall/winter, it will be the fault of your "helpfulness." We don't need that kind of help.

I do like technical riding, that's why I rarely go to Cottonwood. Want a challenge, go to Bootleg or Cowboy...better yet, just go back to Colorado.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    There is no problem with rain on these trails.
    Moron quote of the year winner right here. Step right up to collect your prize.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I thought little Daytona was closed down years ago....I must not know the right trail names.

The Hutch
    I actually saw them is doing this, and unfortunately it is over kill and ruining a lot of good trail networks. However other areas that were addressed look great and will surely help when the fall rains come in again.
    follow me on twitter
    @RobertEHutch

Young, Shawn Young
    Man, I wish they would just leave the cottonwood area alone. Yes, we have some hard rainfall every year and it does some damage but honestly the trails in general have passed the test of time. Rain gutters on Little Daytona??? Really???
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

Viva la Vida!

Where to even start....?

Lots of Testi going around here
    Take a chill pill or even better go for a ride damn it.

IMHO If you haven't ridden around CW in the last 5 days or you know something more than what has been expressed here you should refrain from giving your opinion on what you think is being done.
    I was there, I rode it and I saw who did it. So I like to contribute to this debacle.
    Unless I am being shortsighted and this is a work in progress that will lead to them filling the trenches with PVC or big rocks to then place dirt on top and compact it to bring the smoothness back to the trails this is totally unacceptable for "US" mountain bikers and "the powers that be" who supposedly represent our interest as a group should be RASING HELL.
    But don't take my word for it go check it out for yourself and then come back to let us know what you think.

Quote Originally Posted by rob1208lv View Post
    I actually saw them is doing this, and unfortunately it is over kill and ruining a lot of good trail networks. However other areas that were addressed look great and will surely help when the fall rains come in again.
    An actual eye witness

Quote Originally Posted by Redmon View Post
    Man, I wish they would just leave the cottonwood area alone. Yes, we have some hard rainfall every year and it does some damage but honestly the trails in general have passed the test of time. Rain gutters on Little Daytona??? Really???
    YES really Shawn and in places that make no sense whatsoever.

Those water bars had no function and were speed bumps, and I do a lot of loose rock removal out there all by myself. It's not hard.
    He's absolutely right most of those water bars have no function because they are in places where the water wont run and cause damage. IE on top of a hill...????

Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post
    If you want to do trail work, go back to Colorado and quit wussifying our trails. In case you didn't notice, on the rare occasion where it does rain here, it causes massive trail damage, and it will again thanks to the work of jackasses like yourself.
    Maybe you should stick to fire roads if a few water bars are too technical for you.
    NO>>NO>>>NO>> If he wants to do trail work we should thank him for wanting to help and improve YOUR/OUR trail system embrace him and bring him up to speed in how to use the proper channels to do so.
    It has nothing to do with the technicality of the trail it has more to do with how a beautiful fast smooth trail (Not many like that around) is being destroyed in the name of "progress"

Quote Originally Posted by knoob View Post
    Well let's hope that they were not put there by Great Basin Institute( GBI) who is working for the BLM out there for the next little while. Because if they where your hurting a relationship that SNMBA has spent YEARS getting to where it is .
    And so if you would please not FIX ANYTHING ELSE til we know WHO is putting them in.....but feel free to rake the MILES of trail that still have LOOSE crap in the tread.
    Yes they were put in by GBI, really more like a bunch of kids probably doing a summer internship hating life out there and with out a freaking idea of what is "flow" whether is rolling flow or water flow.

Quote Originally Posted by richde View Post
    Understand that you are performing illegal trail work, and if one of us catches you, you will be reported to the BLM.
    The only person ruining the experience is you, when those trails get washed away again this fall/winter, it will be the fault of your "helpfulness." We don't need that kind of help.
    I do like technical riding, that's why I rarely go to Cottonwood. Want a challenge, go to Bootleg or Cowboy...better yet, just go back to Colorado.
    "Illegal trail work" you mean like the other 98% of the trail work done in or around the valley?
    Really is that what you will do if you find someone working on the trails? And can you please expand on "WE"
    He's not the only one ruining the experience and as far as I am concerned the GBI already ruined the trails and they didn't even need to wait for the rain.
    Yes they are more technical trails but there's no other place like CW with fast smooth single track trails where you can go down at full speed for 10+ miles if you want.

"Happy Trails"
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing

Big B's Trails
    I knew this would get good, it's a very polarizing topic...
    I dig dirt!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I second Camaleon! That response is one of the best posts I have read on MTBR.

I can't comment on the "trail work" at CW, as I prefer to ride Cowboy trails, and haven't been out to CW, but it is sad to hear that what was supposed to be a move in a positive direction, is back firing.

Young, Shawn Young
    I have to say that after riding quite a few of the trails out at Cottonwood tonight that Great Basin Institute should stay up in Reno and worry about their own trails. What a horrible job of pretending to know what the heck they are doing! Little Daytona, which has remained unchanged for nearly 15 years had these damn trenches all over it! I dont know if you could call it vandalism as these people were actually invited to come out here and work on the trails but it should be a crime what they have done. Please go back from where you came! If you want to do some good maybe come out after a rainstorm and see where the real problems are! Better yet, bring a rake and help do some trail maintenance rather than ruining perfectly good trails.
    Thank you Guy for doing what you could to undo the carnage from these idiots. If you have an opinion maybe hold it until you have ridden the trails.

Young, Shawn Young
    Here is their FB page. Let them know what you think, I did! https://www.facebook.com/GreatBasinInstitute?fref=ts

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Funny how the cool guys who slammed me hard have had nothing to say since others have gotten on here sharing my view on this.
    If we each fill in 10 or so trenches per ride we can get things styling, smooth and fast again soon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I hope I'm not one of the cool guys as I was not trying to slam you...sorry if it came off that way. Which trail exactly is little Daytona? I'm sure I have ridden it but I'm may be mixed up on my trail names. I'd really like to go and check out what has been done.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'm all for trail maintenance and improvements, but we need to work with the land managers. I'd hate to see Cottonwood turn into another Coyote Springs.

And your rain comment is still boneheaded.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I can see how a guy who has been riding for a whole three years would so incredibley aware of trail sustainability. I stand corrected. Cottwood is in major danger of being washed away anytime. I will get hold of GBI and learn how to dig trenches in spots that despite having never had a water problem are nevertheless in serious danger. I will then get busy digging them since GBI couldn't cover the whole trail system.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast