mtbr member

Trail Report. Anything dry enough to ride? Reno Sparks Carson

It has been a frustrating challenge to find some rideable trails. If anyone is interested, Pine nut, Centennial, Keystone, and even Hidden Valley are too muddy to ride. As far as I know, these are the local best hopes for this time of year. I had to drive two hours to find rideable trails in California.
    Any local trails open that I am missing?
    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    If you're just looking to get some dirt riding in, I assume the trails would be great around or slightly before dawn, when everything is still frozen. Otherwise, I've had the same experience as you. I tried to go out to Peavine the other day. Got a mile into the mud, decided it was too much, and turned back. I ended up carrying/pushing my bike most of the way back because the wheels were so caked up with mud. It must have easily picked up 20 pounds of mud at the worst moments.
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

mtbr member
    Erik,
    I tried your suggestion and rode early this morning while the ground was frozen. I feel better. Thanks for the idea.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I know it is a little out of the way but Golden Valley in North Valleys in Reno are ok. Estates road turns to dirt and you can at least ride some dirt out there. there are some bigger hit bike trails out there if interested. Curtis @ BRB

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Auburn is usually good this time of year....

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Peavine is ready to ride! I rode the west end of halo from Keystone Canyon on Saturday and just finished a ride from the softball Fields to the connector up Keystone to the top of the n trail and bail into the east end of Evans via upper miners (btw, anyone have mileage for this loop?) Nice main line was beat into all the popular trails but the lower stuff is a little beat up from the hikers. I also was able to get a loop in centennial about 10 days ago. Although it was very soft it was completely ride able and the descents were like Velcro. Also, some one has been doin a bit of drainage work all over this area and they deserve a huge thank you. This type of effort will keep these trails rideable for years

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by curtiso View Post
    I know it is a little out of the way but Golden Valley in North Valleys in Reno are ok. Estates road turns to dirt and you can at least ride some dirt out there. there are some bigger hit bike trails out there if interested. Curtis @ BRB
    yup exactly. I ride over there from sun vly and basically explore all the various trails/roads.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Godman View Post
    Peavine is ready to ride! I rode the west end of halo...
    Welcome, Jon.
    That`s nice to hear. The mud has been gradually drying out in my driveway and yard (back of Lemmon Valley), but I`m surprised to hear the higher elevations are drying up too. Of course, it probably helps that the mountain isn`t as flat as my yard
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    ...but I`m surprised to hear the higher elevations are drying up too.

don't get me wrong, there is defiantly still some snow up there! Fortunately all of the snow i ran into was rock solid and not creating a sloppy mess below it. Now that our trails have finally dried out I have to leave town, but headed south for better weather!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Also, is the riding in the north valleys worth exploring on a trail bike or FR only?

weirdo
    ^^ North Valleys...
    There`s some nice stuff up there, but all that I consider rideable are the dirt/gravel roads. The tempting looking single track is all made by animals or motos, and is either unending sand or way too up and down. The hills between GV, SV, and LV are actually pretty nice once you get past the illegal garbage dumps. Access from Estates in GV, Bernouli and Patrician in LV, and I guess off Leon in SV. If you go way north, beyond the little Indian reservation, there are some really cool old mine roads that run up to and along the ridge overlooking Spanish Springs (don`t know of any way down that East side, though) and can even tie in with Eagle Canyon. There are a few more nice dirt roads off either side of Redrock, but that`s getting to be quite a drive from Reno. If you want to go explore any of that stuff, the trick is to stay up high. All the valley bottoms are sandy. If you REALLY want to get through Dogskin, Bedell, or Winnemucca Ranch Valley, it can be done, but unless you have reason, there are better places to ride.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Godman View Post
    Also, is the riding in the north valleys worth exploring on a trail bike or FR only?
    IMO yes numerous to count but nothing too techy thats for sure. I've had my phatty up there and can ride terrain 26/29ers have difficulty with albeit a bit slower but i keep turnin the pedals with 5psi.

Short-Change-Hero
    Talked to a friend and she said that the lower sections of Ash Canyon were pretty dry and that most of Centennial is now dry and should be good and dry by the end of this week.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member
    Thanks Greg,
    I can verify Centennial is near perfect right now.

mtbr member
    rode lower part of ash canyon yesterday. basically everything except the creek section, and the seven steps. creek section will be buried for months and seven steps is a bit muddy as it is facing east and north. the switchbacks all the way up to the log ride were all good. great ride, go get some.