V-Shaped Rut

The tour de red rock is tomorrow.

Even though this is a MTB board I know some folks here road ride. A co-worker and I will be doing 50 miles of red rock tomorrow. Starting at the blue diamond bike shop, we'll head north towards town. We'll be doing the scenic loop, then the halfway point near 215. Back the way we came, back through the loop and on to BD. This should be about 50, if we have to add more to make it official we'll head past BD towards 160 and back.

This will be a pretty easy pace. I don't road ride at all and we're shooting for around a 15mph average, if that is too much or too little we're not waiting and don't expect to be waited on. Should be under 4 hours even if someone needs a food/piss break.

Short notice for a longish ride, but if anyone wants to tag along feel free to meet at the shop around 10am. I'm the shaved head guy in a black scion tc.

Single Malt

Where did you...

...rent the bike from? Is it a nice bike? My only road bike is a single speed. I'm running a 42x16. It's good enough for me to ride by myself, but I don't think I could keep up with others on this setup. I would like to rent a real road bike one of these days and give it a go!!!
    ~~Cheers!!! PMF~~

V-Shaped Rut
    Las Vegas Cyclery on charleston. Its a cannondale systemsix. I know **** all about road bikes but the reviews are very good. Carbon with aluminum rear triangle, supposed to power transfer very well especially for climbing. Should be good for SSers like us who like to leave it in a gear and stand for hills.

V-Shaped Rut
    Ok, the report. Bike was nice. Very light and good power transfer as advertised, but a very stiff ride. The LV cyclery guys were cool as well. As for the gears, I'm glad I had them. Didn't need a third granny gear, the 2 front it came with were fine. I would have even been fine without the small ring if my legs were better conditioned for road riding, more on that later.

It wasn't very windy which was nice. We got to the scenic loop no problem but once inside we discovered that what seemed like a fairly flat road actually involves quite a bit of tough climbing for the first 3-4 miles or so. That climb about did us in, I had to stop and strip layers off and we saw an MTBR.com-er while doing so. He stopped and said hi, I didn't know who it was though? I'm sure you'll post. He was obviously faster than us as we never saw him again, lol!

After the climb it was pretty awesome with some fast downhills. We topped 38mph and actually had to slow down at one point to avoid violating the speed limit. Even so, we decided to skip doing the loop on the way back as we didn't have another climb like that in us.

At about 25 miles my legs started cramping. That sucked. I wasn't tired, my legs just wouldn't cooperate. I should have had a banana before the ride. Next time. We took a break at 27 miles, the chevron on charleston. Grabbed some gatoraide and ate a power bar.

The rest of the ride back took a bit longer as we had to stop several times to let my legs loosen up. Skipping the loop meant we had to continue past blue diamond to 160, then back to bonnie springs and finally back to BD for the whole 50.

It was fun. Not out and out hard like SS mtbing is. Although I'm sure a more hilly area with lots of climbs like the 3-4 miles of the loop would change that. Mostly it was just a constant push. I would like to get an SS road bike together and do shorter rides out there as a change of pace.

The final tally was 51 mles, 12 mph average (haha, guess our 16mph figure was way off!) just over 4 hours, just over 3500 feet of climbing, just over 2200 calories burned, 2 wendy's spicy chicken sandwiches and a HUGE thing of fries consumed and I think I'm still in negative calories. Here is the motionbased link:

http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/7930787

And here are a few pics. I stopped snapping after a while because how many shots of the side of the road are you gonna take?

My trusty steed:

Some Slacker:

The side of the road, a common theme on this ride:

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    golly gee that's nifty

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    the scenic loop is gnarly i do it 2-3 times a week and the first 5 miles NEVER get easy climb ,climb,climb and when you think youre done keep on climbing

Lone Wolf McQuade

You made it.....

............good job Paul and I did the usual loop yesterday and the wind was a fight as always. I still think there's some kind of road bike curse in all of the Red Rock...how can you have a head wind in BOTH directions Great job on completing the 50

Matt
    I should be out riding....

V-Shaped Rut
    Nice, thats more the speed we would have liked to attain. Perhaps if I get a road bike before I move to cali that will happen.