Thread: Teamwork?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Teamwork?

There is some work to do at Cottonwood and I found this sweet tool but can't afford it right now and was wondering if a few others would be willing to go in on and then we can have multiple people out there working too.

Trail Boss Trail Tool

I spoke with Chris at the Bike Outpost and he said he would be happy to let us keep the tool at the shop and then anyone who helps buy the tool can pick it up and drop it off any time. He would be the money collector and then I would buy it and bring it to the shop. It costs $250, so if four other guys would be willing to participate its only $50 a man. If this can happen it will have a big positive impact on the trails. Who's in? The more the merrier!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    It looks pretty similar to a mcleod, just collapsible for ease of transport. Is there any way we can trick out a $50 mcleod to suit this same purpose?

I would be willing to help out, and put up $50 up. Would you be willing to meet up at Blue Diamond next Sunday (9/15) to ride and check out places on the trail which are in need of service?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    43 views and no takers? I guess I better win some money today. I think this would be a cool situation and the trails will do nothing but improve.

Young, Shawn Young
    How about 8 people at 25 bucks a man? I would be willing to pony up 25 bucks but have very limited time to ride or do trailwork right now. Put me down for 25 if its a go. I know your good for the trail work and have no problem with this.
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

Young, Shawn Young
    Guy, why dont you join up with Mountain bikers of Las Vegas on Facebook? It has about 90 members now and is a great way to communicate locally.
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Well, we have a couple of people. A couple more and we are in!! The tool is a mcleod, and I don't think you could modify a regular mcleod because of the handle. That is the key feature on the one I posted, have a collapseable handle. Once we have enough people kicking in we can make this happen. Packable shovels are pretty cheap and we could get one of those too so a couple of guys could work together.
    I can go out with you on Saturday Matt. Maybe we could even use my foot and digging stick method on a couple of spots while we are out. I like to ride around 9:30.

Viva la Vida!
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Great, do you want to meet at the Bike Outpost at 9:30 and take it from there.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    That works. See ya then.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Bummer that this isn't happening. I spent 45 minutes yesterday cleaning up the first hill on the clockwise way out of Blue Diamond yesterday and with that tool it would have been 10 minutes. The good news is though that we may be getting some basic tools donated. I will keep you posted.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Thought Id comment...I purchased one of those trail boss tools. They work well. I think a standard McLeod works better because the head is bigger. But its cool to be able to pack the tool away and ride to a spot. I'm not interested in purchasing another with a group but I could be up for getting out and helping with some trail maintenance. Send me a PM if you get something together.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Good to know someone out there has one and can help. That first hill still needs a lot of love if you can help.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    It looks like the tools will be coming to Bike Outpost soon. In the mean time, Chris has a nice hand held hoe that is packable. So if you know him ask about using it if you can help clean up the trails. I used it to do some work on Saturday on the beginning of the trails coming out of Blue Diamond and it does good work despite its size. Definitely better than using your foot.

JKA
    mtbr member
    Name:  foot-wedge.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  40.6 KB

I don't know. I use this all the time for golf. Maybe it would help on the trails.

JKA
    mtbr member
    I was ready to pull the trigger on buying a set of the Trail Boss tools, but just couldn't quite justify it. I was trying to figure out how to do it cheaper when today I was a Lowes and found these cool little expandable tools. They wouldn't be be sturdy enough for trail building, but might be just right for general clean up of rain rutted trails. They fit sort of in my pack. The handles stick out about 12 inches, but it seems like no problem for riding with them. The best part is...they cost me $10 a piece!! $20 total instead of $200. I could replace them 10 times if I need to for the price of the other tools. I'll let you know how well they work.

Name:  IMG_0702.JPG
Views: 121
Size:  50.6 KBName:  IMG_0703.JPG
Views: 120
Size:  45.6 KBName:  IMG_0704.JPG
Views: 121
Size:  45.1 KB

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Those are a great deal! Thanks for sharing. I am all over those.

JKA
    mtbr member

The hoe blade is pretty small, but still way better than using your foot. It seems to work just fine for general trail clean up.
    I was so excited, I had to drag my wife out to the garage to show her how cool they were. I got another one of the "looks". "Are you kidding me? Are you really excited about that?!?!" I get those "looks" all the time.

I cut a section out of an old motorcycle tube to cover the ends of the hoe and tines (they're pretty sharp) so it doesn't tear up my pack, then I wrap the end of the rake and the hoe in a rag before putting it in the pack. Works perfect!

Ya gotta love Lowes!

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I found a nice hand held pick/hoe combo at Home Depot for $15 in the gardening section. It is very packable, functional, and light weight. I wish I would have had this along time ago.