Explore More

So, any dirt on this dirt?

Never noticed these in Google Earth and just happened to see them while looking for something in Google Maps today. I think most folks know of Amargosa, but I never even knew of the whole network West of the AT.

Anyone ever ride any of these trails or are they suited only for hiking?

Looks like you could at least make a decent loop using Amargosa and Road Runner. I know there is the rain damage, but this could make a nice long ride adding the MHT and Anthem trails.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails So, any dirt on this dirt?-mccolloughtrails.jpg  

So, any dirt on this dirt?-mchtrails2.jpg  

Lone Wolf McQuade
    They look short and steeeeeeeeep! If they were built by the same Henderson trail crew, they should be an average grade of 22%

Matt
    I should be out riding....

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I've ridden up there quite a bit and most of those aren't even trails. If you zoom way in on the map, you'll see that there is no real trail there on a lot of them. Most of the proposed routes are either very steep and seriously rocky (hiking only) or right up a nice deep sand wash (Road Runner). It would be cool if the BLM would allow us to build quality trails up there, but I'm not convinced that they will. It's all pretty steep, rocky and where it is smooth, it's deep sand. I know the recreation manager for out there, I'll give her a call and see what happens.

mtbr member
    Steep and rocky is where its at

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Hk_Wrex View Post
    Steep and rocky is where its at
    Yeah, baby! I agree, but the few trails that are really up there are designed for foot traffic only. The ones I've seen are un-ridable up or down. Ther're too steep and twisty to even maneuver a bike around. There may be some that might work. I e-mailed the BLM land manager so we'll see what happens.