Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Serious trail wussification at Cottonwood

I can't believe how many formerly "technical" sections of Cottonwood are gone now; sections where I loved testing my self and my bike. The most recent was a rock outcrop on Landmine about 1/2 mile past the dump if you go counter clockwise. I don't understand why someone would go to all that trouble for a section that was not too tough, and not even close to dangerous. I loved clearing the up, especially on my single speed, and jumping over it going the other way. How much longer will we have BFR? Thankfully we have people there destroying all of the cheater lines that go around it. The first few "technical" sections that were removed were disapointing, but what we have now versus five years ago and beyond is ridiculous. Major bummer!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Unfortunately, this is something we probably will have to deal with all the time. They do it as "trail maintenance". It's very different moving loose rock or other debris compared to digging up buried rocks to make the trail smoother. If they want smooth, they should stick to an asphalt trail, but there is no reasoning with them. sigh

desert dweller
    Problem with moving those rocks aside from the annoyance is that the rocks inhibit erosion events. Now the water can run smoothly down the trail. Boneheads trail helpers.

MBB

The Hutch
    Who ever is doing this needs to stop right now. SNMBA do you guys know who is doing this? can you put it out there to stop?
    follow me on twitter
    @RobertEHutch

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Could someone post pics of the areas that have been affected? I rode landmine loop the other day but didn't notice where the trail modifications had been done (landmine loop is not my usual route).

Viva la Vida!
    Landmine loop is a very good example if you are coming back to Blue Diamond Clockwise there were some rocks that required some ability to clear and now that whole section is like a freaking freeway all flat and smooth that job took sometime and tools and it sucks.
    So we just have to keep going higher and higher to stay away from the smooth trails. Have you ride The Hurl lately?
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Someone put a huge rock right in the middle of the trail very close to the spot I mentioned above. I think it was an attempt to make that section technical again, but it was a horrible job. This rock must have taken a couple of guys a lot of effort to get there. It is now off the trail.

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Word is that this is happening at Cowboy now and it needs to stop, wherever it's being done.

Everything out there is ridable to someone, if you can't clean it, it's not the trail, it's you.

JKA
    mtbr member
    Some people will only be happy when all the trails are graded and paved. If you don't like a trail because it's too difficult, ride another trail. There are plenty of smooth trails at Cottonwood that anyone can ride. We can rant all we want here, but it won't stop the problem. Short of posting guards and firing a couple of warning shots, I don't know what else would work.

mtbr member

Re: Serious trail wussification at Cottonwood

These are warnig shots! Have you heard of "the scarecrow effect"?

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    The sad thing is these asshats really think they're providing a public service.

Viva la Vida!

IMHO Just get out there and build more trails with more technical difficulties to counteract.
    Problem solved.

Big B's Trails
    Anyone and I mean anyone that has any desire to put in work on a trail... Please, for the love of God .... Do it on Bonnie n Clyde!!! That trail is going to be gone soon......if we don't use it(add to it )!!!
    Last edited by ImaFred; 04-08-2013 at 06:25 PM.
    I dig dirt!

Viva la Vida!
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaFred View Post
    Anyone and I mean anyone that has any desire to put in work on a trail... Please, for the love of God .... Do it on Bonnie n Clyde!!! That trail is going to be gone soon......if we don't use it!!!
    BTW Right now could be the best time of the year to be ridding it or working on it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaFred View Post
    Anyone and I mean anyone that has any desire to put in work on a trail... Please, for the love of God .... Do it on Bonnie n Clyde!!! That trail is going to be gone soon......if we don't use it(add to it )!!!
    If I could ever figure out where the damn thing is I'd be game to ride/improve it.

Big B's Trails
    It's there if you look....... really, really hard!!!
    I dig dirt!

Viva la Vida!

I can provide you some gpx files so that you can follow it.

mtbr member

Give me a link or date so i can find it on strava.

Big B's Trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Camaleon View Post
    I can provide you some gpx files so that you can follow it.
    Carlos,
    Ill take a copy of your gpx files for it. I'd like to see if I remembered everything, correctly.
    B
    I dig dirt!

mtbr member

I'll ride it this weekend if you can get me a file.
    Thx.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Beefcake. BEEFCAKE.

Viva la Vida!

Bonnie & Clyde

Go ride it guys with this weather it's stupid not to, I wish I could join you.
    Once you are at the end of the loop before you start to come back you can just take the fire road all the way to Goodsprings have lunch and some beers at the bar and then ride back that is one of my favorite epic rides.
    P.D. One of the most appealing features of this trail, at least to me is the fact that you start it with a3 mile fast downhill run as a warm up and then it ends with another 3 mile downhill back to the parking lot. I attached the .gpx file and the link is the epic ride to Goodsprings.
    Here is also a link to the full Bonnie & Clyde with Goodsprings. Bonnie & Clyde to Goodsprings - Cottonwood Valley, Las Vegas, NV by carmaleon at Garmin Connect - Details
    Attached Files Attached Files

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Camaleon View Post
    Go ride it guys with this weather it's stupid not to, I wish I could join you.
    Once you are at the end of the loop before you start to come back you can just take the fire road all the way to Goodsprings have lunch and some beers at the bar and then ride back that is one of my favorite epic rides.
    P.D. One of the most appealing features of this trail, at least to me is the fact that you start it with a3 mile fast downhill run as a warm up and then it ends with another 3 mile downhill back to the parking lot. I attached the .gpx file and the link is the epic ride to Goodsprings.
    Here is also a link to the full Bonnie & Clyde with Goodsprings. Bonnie & Clyde to Goodsprings - Cottonwood Valley, Las Vegas, NV by carmaleon at Garmin Connect - Details
    Thanks. I'll be sure to check it out.

The Hutch
    I'll be happy to do a group ride on Bonnie and springs next week some time.. PM if your interested and I'll put a ride together on the LVU
    follow me on twitter
    @RobertEHutch

mtbr member
    Bootleg has been getting wussified as well. This week West Leg has been the latest target. Big rocks have been removed and thrown down the hill. I like West Leg, there are parts I can't always clean. That doesn't mean that the trail should be brought down to my ability level, or the level of whoever is responsible. Does anyone have any info on who is doing this? My blood boils now, every time I ride this trail. I would LOVE to come up on this taking place. Bootleg is a city park and this is illegal, just like the signs say. Please be on the lookout if you ride Bootleg, let's try and prevent any more permanent damage to the trails in to which our dear departed friend Brent Thompson poured his heart!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Agreed. It's crazy how all these trails are getting smoothed out by peeps. It really is ruining the trail systems. We need to put some game cams up and catch these idiots! They are obviously doing this when no one is around because they haven't been caught and beaten to death!!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast