mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Riding up Calico Basin Rd?

Please forgive me if this has been discussed before.

Looking on google maps and after driving close by, I'm wondering if its legal to ride the trails from (what looks like) the trailhead at the end of Sandstone rd off of Calico Basin Rd? This is just North of or part of the Red Rock preserve. Hike only?

If you've ridden there, any good?

mtbr member
    No one knows nothin' ?

I've wundered about this too.

I would say if there are no signs prohibiting it, you SHOULD be ok.

Let us know what you find out.

mtbr member
    From the maps that I have, the eastern boundary of the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) property skirts around Calico Basin Road, Sandstone Drive and Little Springs Road. South of Calico Basin Road is definitely BLM land. The boundary jogs a little bit on the north end, but seems pick up again at the steep hillside north of Sandstone Drive road.

In other words, you'd probably safe going up that trail that starts North at the 90 degree bend in the middle of Sandstone Drive and then head NE, but from the maps and Satellite images I'm looking at, I doubt that trail is even one mile long. You definitely can't go West off the end of Sandstone Drive, that will get you into trouble.

(Note my response is my personal opinion. I'm not the expert here, but I have spoken to that guy... He's the Supervisory Outdoor Recreation Planner at the BLM Red Rock/Sloan Field Office. I can provide name, phone number and stuff in response to a PM on MTBR... I did talk to that guy a lot about riding anywhere in the 13 mile Red Rock Scenic Drive area and its a formal NO GO to mountain bikes anywhere. I had questions about a 50 mile ride called "The Big Wilson" shown on the Leaving Fabulous Las Vegas Trail Map, but a portion of that route shown on that map is definitely closed to Mountain Bikes.)

Good luck with it,
    Zip
    Last edited by zipzit; 12-30-2012 at 03:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Wow, thanks a bunch! Way more info than I had hoped for. I appreciate it

Viva la Vida!

Calico Basin MTB Adventure

There you go this will give you a good idea of what can be done.
    From the end of this ride you can either head down to The Cowboy Trails if you go South or you can go to The Twilight Zone if you go North
    Happy Trails.
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing