weirdo

Reno mixed surface bikepack...

I`m going out this weekend. Anybody else interrested in tagging along? If you have a hankerin, but no gear, I can hook you up with just about anything you might need including a BOB trailer.

My only objective for the mision is to connect Dog Valley to Truckee via Stampede and Glenshire Rd. That can be done entirely on low traffic dirt and paved roads with moderate energy requirement and zero technical riding, or can be stretched into just about anything. My preliminary idea is to go through Bordertown and make the Truckee connection first off, then probably take 89 N up to Emmigrant or Henness Pass Rd and back through Verdi, but as long as I get in my Official Objective the rest can be changed. Can even start and end in Verdi if it`s easier for somebody else to meet up. Leaving Fri evening if I go alone, or can wait til Sat morning (early, though) if need be. Back on Sunday. Come on along and beat the heat!

EDIT: Stop laughing whenever you want, Vegas guys- 90s is HEAT for this kid
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    are you heading up to Dog Valley from Verdi?

weirdo
    Hi, Scott. Welcome. Your profile says you`re in MA. Is that correct?

Either Verdi or Bordertown will connect to Dog Valley, and either work fine for me. Bordertown is more direct from home, but if I park at my mom`s house, Verdi would be closer, leaving me with a few extra hours to stir up the dust.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Hi,

Yes, I'm in MA. Your post caused me to look over my topo maps of routes I took from Clay St. when we lived in Reno. Some routes went to Sardine Peak, the Badenaugh descent from the Babbit Peak Fire Tower to Smithneck Rd. etc. Living in the Berkshires of Western MA. with good riding available, but our hearts remain in the Reno area. Hope you have a great ride and adventure- post some pics!

Regards,
    Scott

weirdo
    Thanks!
    As it happens, I`ll be making my first trip to New England next month to visit my sister-in-law outside of Salem. I`m taking a bike along for the trip and have arranged to meet up with two other forum members in NH for a little riding in the White Mountains. Can`t escape for long enough for a multiday pedalfest while I`m there, but I expect some sweet riding anyway
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Enjoy N.H. Lots of technical riding in the East. A mile here is 3 out there. Some of the best of New England's found in the Berkshires with an active group to show you the way here should you ever visit: norulesmountainbikingclub : No Rules Mountain Biking Club - Ride it!

mtbr member
    rodar i'd love to if time permitted such a venture alas duty calls on weekends however with wed/thur off i'm up for a long day ride from verdi to DV or verdi peak, out to bordertown and back kind of ride if possible on your end.

weirdo
    @Scott479: If I ever get back out there with more play time, I`ll know where to look

Phatty, wish you had been posting when I was still on a 3 x 12 shift! Anyway, there are nice rides in that `hood. In the past I`ve even hooked Dog Valley up to Cow Canyon for a Mogul- Verdi- D.V. loop.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    @Scott479: If I ever get back out there with more play time, I`ll know where to look

Phatty, wish you had been posting when I was still on a 3 x 12 shift! Anyway, there are nice rides in that `hood. In the past I`ve even hooked Dog Valley up to Cow Canyon for a Mogul- Verdi- D.V. loop.
    thats the shift i work 330 to 1130 so i still get in 8am rides for a few hrs.

weirdo

Report!

Well, beating the heat turns out to be a relative thing. I left about 6PM Fri, took Keystone Canyon as part of my route into town, then couldn`t handle the inferno! I rode straight to my mom`s house (just a mile or so from the Keystone) and waited in front of her swamp cooler until almost sundown . Put my commuting lights to good use by making a night run through Verdi to the intersection of Henness Pass Rd and the paved road near Stampede, rolled out my bag there.

At sunup, I kept going into Truckee (way more traffic than anticipated on Glenshire Rd), had breakfast at one of those little cafes downtown, and started north on 89. Left the highway at Prosser Creek and took Emmigrant Trail + the paved part of Stampede Rd back to where I had camped, then followed a weird zig-zaggy route over to Sierra Valley. Yeah, it was cooler at elevation, but still probably in the high 80s, my water and Endurolyte suply were not much consolation for the heat and climbing- I felt like maggot infested roadkill. Bought a little grub from Leonards Market in Loyalton and took a nap under a gazebo on the town park until it started to cool off a bit. Then I cut across the valley with plans to camp somewhere around Frenchman that night and cut over to Doyle and home on 395 the next morning, but weenied out by the time I got to Vinton. It was just too hot for me, so I called it quits. Slogged my butt over to Hallelujah Jct, recouped a little there, and made a beeline for my own bed and my swamp cooler. Mega props to the low desert crowd who actually ride temps like that- I`m out!
    Attached Images Attached Images                  
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Good on ya for the effort and yeah the high temps over the weekend were not conducive for such trail work.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    WOW! I'm glad I finally found my way back to this conversation. Is that one of the pair of Junipers on the way up to Sardine Peak? What a great blast from my past were all your pics. I had quite a collection of topo maps while we lived in Reno and made great use of them cutting through the back country as you did here-water was always a limiting factor. In all my travels I only came face to face with one cougar but did see a few buried kills on the trails around Mt Rose/Hunter Lake. Thanks for posting all the photos.

Scott

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Yes, those are up on the north side of Sardine Peak.

weirdo
    Sorry, didn`t check in over the weekend. Yeah, that juniper was up on the north side of Sardine Pk, like Howling Dogs said. Pair? I didn`t notice another like it, but have only been up there once- could be more, I guess. Glad the pics brought you back. You`re a very lucky rider to have gotten to see a cougar close up with your own eyes. I keep hoping. Maybe one of these days...
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    That's OK-I was away for 9 months since my last post! The last I saw the Juniper was in '95 so I likely conjured up the second one. Since you're an explorer I wish hadn't given all my topos of the area away to Dale Beesmer of the Poedunks as I could direct you to a little used route that cut over from Verdi Peak to midway of the paved section between Boca and Stampede-what was interesting here was the remains of an ancient log cabin set way back. It was barely discernable back in '95. The cougar I came in close contact to was just southeast of the end of Fawn Lane off Mt Rose highway and I'm lucky the winds were blowing towards me that day. Keep the pepper spray handy!