Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Don't Tread on Me
    Ok, I rode the Clear Creek Trail today. I was able to get up a little over 4 miles. This is about 2/3 of the distance to "The Knob". The trail was mostly snow free until I gave up at a "hike a bike" that looked pretty endless. The trail is awesome, well drained and firm. The creek and road crossings need some work but the trail itself is in great shape.

Kudos to the designer and building crew. In addition, someone has been busy working the lowest part of the trail, hand digging drainage water bars where the trail tread aligns with the fall line. This work has likely contributed to the good health of the trail through these storms.

As anyone who has ridden Clear Creek knows, the lower section gets looser and looser as the weather gets hotter and dryer. So, if you want to try for a PB on the lower segment, "Start to the Boulders", go get some! I was close to a few personal bests, but had to abandon due to hikers. Remember to be a good ambassador for cycling, slow way down and say hello to other trail users. You can try for that PB another day!
    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

mtbr member
    Thanks for that update Lopaka. Never ridden that trail but I've been itching to get out on the bike. May have to give it a go tomorrow. Based off of a short hike with the dogs today, I can't imagine anything in Reno is "rideable."

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by stormyMonday View Post
    Thanks for that update Lopaka. Never ridden that trail but I've been itching to get out on the bike. May have to give it a go tomorrow. Based off of a short hike with the dogs today, I can't imagine anything in Reno is "rideable."
    correct not much if anything is. I rode clear creek for the 1st time last summer to the knob, had lunch and returned to my car.
    "ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK"

Don't Tread on Me
    The ride to the knob is great and I have done that as an out and back many times. When the snow allows, try pushing past the knob all the way to Spooner Highway and back. There is lots of very good single track with some nice climbs and a very cool creek crossing.

gone walk about
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopaka View Post
    The ride to the knob is great and I have done that as an out and back many times. When the snow allows, try pushing past the knob all the way to Spooner Highway and back. There is lots of very good single track with some nice climbs and a very cool creek crossing.
    will do.
    "ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK"

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    will do.
    We're moving to Carson City from the North Cascades where riding fat on snow is the norm for three to four months of the year.

Are these trails (Clear Creek rideable with the right equipment (5" tires), how about one way from Spooner. as a shuttle?

Any snowshoe or XC trails worth riding on Spooner

Do you hit the trails early to take advantage of firm conditions from overnight freezing?

Short-Change-Hero
    @Nurse Ben.... there is LOTS in the area that you can do on a fat bike. Most people will probably stick to the Spooner Lake XC trails, or the other XC trails around NorthStar, Tahoe City and the like. I am sure that you could probably push a few of these trails with a fat bike but really there wont be much action on them so you are looking at doing some of the trailblazing on your own.

Think to remember about Carson, you are 15 minutes from the lake, 2hrs from Sac/Auburn and about 2.5-3hrs from Downieville so if something isn't rideable in Tahoe then you can easily travel to somewhere else for riding. You are going to be located in the hub of things.

Also, if you need a Real Estate Agent let me know. My MIL is the broker/agent for Coldwell Banker here in town and has helped a few of my internet forum friends find homes in the area. If you haven't found something already just be aware that the market is pretty thin in the area. When you come into town hit me up via PM and we can meet up for a beer.

- G

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    @Nurse Ben.... there is LOTS in the area that you can do on a fat bike. Most people will probably stick to the Spooner Lake XC trails, or the other XC trails around NorthStar, Tahoe City and the like. I am sure that you could probably push a few of these trails with a fat bike but really there wont be much action on them so you are looking at doing some of the trailblazing on your own.

Think to remember about Carson, you are 15 minutes from the lake, 2hrs from Sac/Auburn and about 2.5-3hrs from Downieville so if something isn't rideable in Tahoe then you can easily travel to somewhere else for riding. You are going to be located in the hub of things.

Also, if you need a Real Estate Agent let me know. My MIL is the broker/agent for Coldwell Banker here in town and has helped a few of my internet forum friends find homes in the area. If you haven't found something already just be aware that the market is pretty thin in the area. When you come into town hit me up via PM and we can meet up for a beer.

- G
    Thanks for the heads up, I'm looking forward to the move, we've been snowbound for three months, it's old.

I'm hoping to do some trail blazing, maybe get a group going to keep the trails packed. Is anyone grooming for bikes on Spooner?

We actually found a house and are well into the process, closing mid May, moving in late May, base of Prison Hill near Fairview.

Short-Change-Hero
    Ah ok, well congrats!... Pine Nuts can be an awesome area for exploring. Look up BikeCarson.com, Jeff Moser is the main fat bike guy around here and he really is the one the is more the vocal voice of biking. We do have a local MusclePowered group that does lots with the trails and are the ones that are responsible for all the trail maintenance for Ash Canyon. Centennial is actually considered "unsanctioned" trail and is illegal though the BLM/USFS allow us to have it and maintain it somewhat as long as there are no issues.

As towards the trails being maintained, you should look on the TAMBA website to see who does what. There is only a small group of winter riders here in Carson and Moser would be the main person to talk to about that stuff. He actually just put together a ride not long ago where the guys started at Centennial and rode to Virginia City and back. Full days ride but supposed to be fun and good BBQ in VC.

Don't Tread on Me
    Ash Canyon was a winner this morning. We went up Deer Run and Four Day Plus for a decent oab. Too much snow for the loop.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Anyone gotta Peavine report? Drying out or still swampy?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by powpig View Post
    Anyone gotta Peavine report? Drying out or still swampy?
    My guess is it's still a mess, especially above the radio towers. I went down to Auburn to day and it was velcro.

Don't Tread on Me
    Centennial trail is badly eroded in many sections, rideable with a few re-routes. The are only a few small muddy spots.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Last weekend I rode Ash Canyon from the South, the dirt road section is good, on the single track I hit a fair number of snow patches, the snow is very corny and was not compacted by use so I had to hike, made it to the waterfall loop and returned on the double track. It should be melted off entirely on the next couple weeks.

Had nice ride on Prison Hill on Sunday, followed Escape loop counterclockwise to the high point, then peeled off on a sketchy trail that dropped down to Dead Truck, then took the trail back down to the water tower at Koontz. Motos don't appear to be following the rules, saw a couple guys coming over the grate from the non motorized area...

Can't wait to call Carson home. Speaking of which, we're still looking for housing, market is tight, esp if you want a house adjacent to BLM land.

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah unfortunately the market is pretty limited in carson right now. Especially with it being legislative season a lot of the houses that are "in town" are being rented by companies and lobbyists until about June, then you should see things start popping up again.

Boss told me she and her husband rode Ash on Sunday this weekend and it was in pretty good shape. Rode from the TH up to the top of Creek trail (via V&T, Postal, Baldy, Evidence, etc.) but when they dropped down to the creek to turn and go up the Kings Connector climb they hit snow. Pretty much if anything is north facing it has a decent amount of snow on it still. She said they turned around and rode back the way they came and then peeled off at the Jack Rabbit/VT/Postal interchange and dropped down 7 Steps to VT and back to the TH. Other than one section she said there were a good few work arounds and only a couple of deep ruts but the dirt was pretty well packed.

Thinking if I have time this weekend I may go for a short spin to see how the leg/ankle does.

Short-Change-Hero
    Riding has been pretty good lately. Went out last week and yesterday and did a short loop (Up JackRabbit to fireroad tree, climb fireroad to Creek, descend Creek, then back through mini connector, 7-Step, Vicee to TH) and the dirt is real nice. Potter and crew have been out there a couple days a week AT LEAST doing re-routes, fixing trail damage, etc. to get the trails all nice and purdy.

Talking to him, my brother and a couple others it seems like pretty much everything in Ash aside from the north trails (Cap Auto) is all rideable and has re-routes where needed. Brother rode up the connector this week and got to the overlook at, what I call the Hot Gates, right as you crest from climbing up from the creek (so about 1/2 mile before you hit switchbacks to Dog Bowl) and said everything was good up there. Once he hit there he could see snow on the trail up above him but ran out of time so headed back down.

Definitely be cautious out there as there are some decent new re-routes and the trail crews are doing LOTS of work repairing damage from the winter storms. Curious to see how this weekends storm plays out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    I need to check out that pine nuts area that was mentioned. I live in Reno but just got into mountain biking two seasons ago and haven't even scratched the surface of trails out here as I mostly just stick to peavine and galena or shuttle Tyrolian with a friend.

For the guy that asked about peavine though the post was back in February... in case you are still wondering. the west side of Peavine is good. The evans side and the canyon are gone, total recall is too choppy, but the rest is great. Did 14 miles there earlier this week... hit poedunk, snow terrace, crispy bacon, bacon strip, halo, etc.

Hopefully this storm passes quick!

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah no doubt... Looks like it is supposed to last until Monday, then be good for a few days aand then start up again either Wednesday or Thursday.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Biggest Little Trail Stewardship Trailwork Schedule:

Sat, April 15
    9:00am – 12:30pm
    Hoge Road Trailhead,

Thu, April 20
    5:15pm – 7:45pm
    Kings Row Trailhead

Thu, April 27
    5:15pm – 7:45pm
    Kings Row Trailhead

Sat, April 29
    9:00am – 12:30pm
    Hoge Road Trailhead

The reroutes of Keystone were just approved and will start in early May. Exciting times.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Any word on trail building at Prison Hill? Just bought a lot on Gentry, hoping to build this summer, will be very motivated to get involved in trail building in that area

Moving Memorial Weekend...

Short-Change-Hero
    Not that I have heard of.... Join MusclePowered and talk with them to see what is going on. I believe that last that I talked with Potter the trails that were on the map next for improvement were Centennial, Kings to Clear Creek and then more Ash Canyon development north. However, I am trying to recall this from mid-2016 so things more than likely have changed since then. Now that Carson Offroad has taken place and has grown in popularity (and view with winning Best New Trail Series last year at Interbike) the stuff on the Tahoe side will end up getting more development then further east.

And congrats on the land purchase! Here is to getting things up and running quickly, oh and there are TWO, count it TWO, new breweries that will be opening in downtown!!! Fox's BrewPub (previously Firkin N Fox) will be opening their own brewery later this year (planned opening is Dec. 2017 to Feb 2018) and a buyer has purchased the old Lake Tahoe Brewing building and will be opening a new brewery and restaurant there (they are currently looking for a brewery!)!!!

Don't Tread on Me
    Whites Creek, Timberline to a few hundred yards short of the bridge crossing is open and in good shape with just a few small downed trees. It is possible to go further if you want to hike a bike through the snow patches.

Thomas Creek is a different matter. The bottom portion of the trail is inundated by the creek but it is possible to get through. From the first small wooden bridge until a quarter mile past the T (heading up to the pond) is open and in good shape. Higher than that the snow patches are frequent. I'd think a few more weeks of warmer weather will free the loop of snow but the run-off on the Thomas Creek side will be an issue for some time..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12