Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Ugly As F*ck

Reno is about to get ugly

Another moving to Reno thread? Sadly, yes. My apologies.

I have browsed the other threads in my attempt to research the city before I get there. Had some questions that might be more unique to just my situation so I decided to make another thread instead of hi-jacking someone else's.

So first of all I'm trying to gauge where I'd need to live in order to be riding distance to a trail head (2-3 miles of pavement tops). Would I be correct in saying the trails on Peavine would be my only option as far as riding to from home? So far I've been looking for something in the NW area, just west of UNR, south to southwest of Rancho San Rafael Park, and around the Keystone/McCarran area. Luckily this whole area seems to be residential so that works to my advantage. Are there multiple trail heads to the Peavine trails, or just the one on google maps near the water tank?

It seems the other "local" trails are on Mt Rose, but it looks like even if I were living in the south or southwest it would more feasible to drive to these trails rather than ride to them. Keep in mind I don't have much endurance yet and I absolutely hate riding on pavement/in traffic. From what I've read, it seems the consensus is "don't worry about living riding distance to a trail head, because everything is a short drive". Although that might be true, it's been my dream since I started riding to have a trail around the corner from home, so I'm looking to make that a reality in Reno.

Now, another concern I have is going to be my safety riding on Peavine early in the morning before the sun comes up. Is it likely I'll get eaten by a large animal if I bike on Peavine that early alone?

My other question is where are all the pump tracks and dirt jump spots? Only one I've found on the map are the jumps near McQueen High School, which would be close to me if I were living in the NW area. I'd really like to find this place:
    I tried finding it on Google maps using what look like the towers on top of Peavine as a reference point but no luck. Maybe that's one of those "secret" spots where you have to know someone to ride there. But I've heard there are other pump and jump locations around Reno.

Any info you can give this soon-to-be Nevada noob will be appreciated. Can't wait to get the hell out of Texas and enjoy life in the mountains.
    Last edited by uglyguy2; 07-01-2013 at 05:16 AM.

Ugly As F*ck
    As for the trail heads I just noticed there appears to be one directly for the Halo trail and a "West Keystone" trail head. Only saw the east one before.

And sorry about the lengthy post, I was heavily caffeinated so I typed a lot.

mtbr member
    I would not use proximity to trail heads as a determiner for where to live. Find a nice place to live and realize that there are trails in every direction and bike racks fit most cars and trucks. Smog, crime and neighbors are more important to me and I ride trails 4 or 5 days a week.
    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

Ugly As F*ck
    Suggestions on other locations then? Almost makes me think anything near Peavine is the slums. People seem to rave about old SW, any other nice areas?

Still concerned about wildlife on before-sun-up morning rides. I've read mountain lions are most active at night.

mtbr member
    I've lived and ridden in Reno for the last ten years. All the riding is easily accessible within 30 minutes drive (including Tahoe). New SW is expensive, all depends on if you want to buy or rent? You have Galena and Mt Rose area trails in the SW and Peavine in the N/NW. There are several trailheads for Peavine, most ride from the east keystone trailhead but that one is pretty common to car break ins, the best area to ride out of is the Evan's Cyn trailhead by the softball fields north of Rancho San Rafael. As far as wild animals, never seen anything on Peavine but to see a bear on the Tahoe trails is pretty common. There are cats on Peavine as I have seen evidence of kills, but like I said, I have never seen one or heard of anyone else that has.

Ugly As F*ck
    Ah, car break ins. Another reason to live riding distance to the trail heads :P

Craigstr, you ever ridden Peavine in the dark?

Anyone else who does early morning rides out there?

Bears don't bother me (I say this never having actually seen one in person). Mountain lions on the other hand.. just the thought of an encounter or being stalked makes a little pee dribble down my leg.

mtbr member
    Ugly,
    There are mountain lions in close proximity to every Reno/Tahoe area trail. Probably because they are actively hunted in Nevada, they avoid human contact. They are very stealthy and secretive so you would never likely see one, especially the one that is going to try and eat you. California does not allow mountain lion hunting so lions do not have the same respect for people. So you may be fair game there.

I have seen mountain lions, bobcats, every kind of snake, skunks, deer, coyotes, and bears on the trails in the Reno area. I don't mean around the the trails. I mean on the trail. I promise you, nothing is as intimidating as a huge bear. And they are not afraid of you. You wait for them to move on.

As far as danger. You are far more likely to be killed by a motorist on the way to the trail head. On the trail, it's the little old lady with 3 off leash, out of control dogs that will mean your demise.

Good luck with the pee thing. I wonder if a chamois makes a good diaper.
    Consciousness, that annoying time between bike rides.

mtbr member
    Lopaka is right, there is all kinds of wildlife around here. Bears will generally move on, I havent heard of any bear attacks in recent memory. If you see a mountain lion, it will likely be the last thing you see as it will only show itself when it attacks you. I always keep an eye out for rattlesnakes, that is what I seem to see the most of on Peavine. I used to do some night riding around here but not in the last few years.

Ugly As F*ck
    Quote Originally Posted by Lopaka View Post
    I promise you, nothing is as intimidating as a huge bear. And they are not afraid of you.
    You may have just underestimated how ugly I am.

Ugly enough to scare a bear?

Challenge accepted.

mtbr member
    I live on the other side of the state in prime mountain lion country and have ridden at dawn and dusk 4-5 days a week for the past 15-20 years and have never seen a mountain lion.

One bobcat, hundreds of deer and elk, a few coyotes, one badger (scarier than a montain lion in some ways) but no mountain lions. I have been told, however, by wildlife experts that if you are out in the woods around here there is a 100 percent chance you have been watched by one. Very reclusive and very wary of humans (thankfully).

Having said all that, I'm still a bit scetched occasionally when night riding or riding pre-dawn wondering when that one crazed, sick, stupid, or injured cat is going to think I look like an easy meal.

weirdo
    Looks like the lions and tigers and bears have been dealt with, but I want to add that seeing a mountain lion in the wild would be the high point of my year. One of these days, maybe.

No, everything near Peavine is not slum- not even close. Opinions seem to range a lot over which neighborhoods are better than others, but you can check in the related threads out how we`ve all answered previously when it comes to different parts of town.

There are other trail systems around, though Peavine is definitely the biggest. I`m pretty sure the Galena/Whites Creek stuff ranks as the "nicest" riding according to most Renoite opinions, but to live within a few miles of that area is going to cost a lot more than I`ll ever have in my pocket. If you have much deeper pockets, maybe that`s your ticket. Though I`ve never ridden in Hidden Valley, there are a supposedly some trails there, and somebody recently posted about a bit of mystery single track out of Caughlin Ranch (look near West McCarran for Caughlin Pkway on Google Maps). Dirt roads can be had near the fringes of town in just about any direction, particularly in the North Valleys areas and going up towards Virginia City.

For pump tracks (not sure exactly what they are) or dirt jumps, I have no idea- sorry.
    Recalculating....

washed-up moto guy
    Hey Ugly,

Welcome to Reno/Tahoe!

You can find a great place to live in NW Reno. A bit windy, but that is the only downside I can think of.

I live in Wingfield Springs (East Sparks right by Golden Eagle Regional Park) and we have a trail network out here as well. You can link together about 20 miles altogether. While it isn't very fast/flowy/fun, it is a great choppy/tech area to hone your skills. I ride a bike path to the trail head and absolutely love it out here.

Now, to answer your question about where that video is: Those trails are referred to as "Jim's Jumps" by some, but "Hacksaw's" by most. They are Northwest of Sun Valley. Hacksaw puts in an amazing amount of work out there and it is a total blast. Everything from small pump lines to dual slalom courses and huge 25+ ft jump lines.
    The second area is just Northwest the 580 fwy/Oddie junction. Never been there, but have seen it a few times.

The bummer about both of these places is that they are in rough areas, so you wouldn't want to live close.

With all of that being said, the three areas you would want to live with direct trail access are as follows:

1. Northwest Reno - Access to Keystone/Peavine, good area, can be expensive, pretty windy.

2. Galena - Access to Galena trails (best in the area by far), very nice area, VERY expensive.

3. Spanish Springs/Wingfield Springs - Access to Canoe Hill trails, nice new homes, very low prices.

I recommend you take a look out by us in Spanish Springs/Wingfield Springs. My wife and I bought out here last year at an insanely cheap price and love everything about it. Let me know if you are looking for some listings and I will send some your way.

Cheers!

Ugly As F*ck
    Hey Magnum, thanks for the welcome. Though I'm not out there just yet, will probably be another month or so.

The only trail I've heard of on the east side is the Zipper, is that the one near where you live? I'd be interested in finding out more about that trail system you speak of, since there is a chance my job might land in Sparks instead of Reno.

I'll have to keep exploring the map for this Hacksaw's place. I found a couple of what appear to be MX tracks, but that's about it. It's hard to pinpoint a spot made out of dirt when everything surrounding it is also dirt. And speaking of exploring the map, what on earth are all of these dirt paths/roads/trails that are EVERYWHERE? Maybe for people who off road 4x4 vehicles? ATVs? Dirt bikes?

As far as housing goes I'm just looking for a house share situation, or something like a fully furnished basement apartment. Definitely won't be buying a house.

mtbr member
    welcome to Reno. this is a kickass town to be a mountain biker.

likes bicycles
    Welcome to Reno, indeed. I think I remember seeing a posting from you on one of the forums about seeking out a town strictly for biking. Awesome that you wound up in Reno.

I moved here a year ago, and it's great. Sounds like you've done your homework on the trails. Lots of good stuff around. Long uphills leading to long downhills are the name of the game, and it's a great game. You win every time.

I'd recommend living in NW Reno. That's where I am, and it works out well. About 1.5 mile ride to Peavine through neighborhoods. Admittedly, I only ride there during fall and spring. It's not the most fun trails around in my opinion, and it's hot as balls. But it's great in the fall for an early AM ride. You'll probably have better luck finding cheap housing in NW Reno, although I struggled with it for a while. Ended up in a house share that works out pretty well. About 2 minutes from I-80, which is key for getting into the trees. Welcome to Nevada. Let's ride bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I live in old SW. There is a trail less than 30 sec from my house, but it's all just flat hard pack. I usually just drive North to the real mountains--there are none within riding distance here (unless you don't mind going uphill the whole way).

likes bicycles
    I guess you should avoid the Zolezzi Lane neighborhood...

Mountain lion found under Reno deck released back into wild

mtbr member
    yikes i was headed that way next monday on my roadie.

dirty hippy mountainbiker
    So, I live just below the ditch on Thomas Creek (Zolezzi Lane Area). I also ride at night a lot. I also ride from my house. Thomas Creek Trail and White's creek trail both come WAY down into the neighborhoods so I can do a nice all bike loop with only a few miles of pavement.

I also used to ride Dirt loops from down town when I lived there. Little more pavement, but there's some nice loops you can do off the ditch trail.

There is a pump track in Panther Valley north of town. We are working on building that right and getting it rideable again. It's dusty and loose and weedy, but we're working on it.

Kursten from the Reno Bike Project is out there most wednesdays. Get on the Poednuk list to find out about it: Shape & Ride Pump Track Nights | Poedunk

-M
    Mike Henderson, Dirty Hippy Mountain Biker and part owner of Jet Lites.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hi, and welcome to Reno! We just bought a house in Reno a couple of months ago and are still spending most of our time in the bay area...but I hope to spend a lot more time on the other side of the hill as we get set up and as our family issues subside. I live in the Southwest right on the Steamboat ditch trail. I've only hiked there, but I suppose if you wanted a flat ride you could do some mileage on it. I have not ridden Peavine, and in fact the only rides I've done so far have all been South. The Galena Jones/Whites Creek trails are really terrific, and I have more exploring to do there. Obviously heading further up to Mt Rose meadows and the TRT is some of the best anywhere. I've also heard there are a couple of trails off Coughlin ranch (near where my house is) but I haven't ridden there yet.

We should form a 'new to Reno' riding group! I am pretty slow but can get up or down most things, and am not embarrassed about being last in the pack. I'm old.

Ugly As F*ck
    I had thought about forming a group ride for ugly people. I was going to call it Ugly Nevada Riders, or UNR for short. Then I realized it would get confused with the local college... which is also UNR

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by uglyguy2 View Post
    I had thought about forming a group ride for ugly people. I was going to call it Ugly Nevada Riders, or UNR for short. Then I realized it would get confused with the local college... which is also UNR
    It's cool, the UNR cycle team just goes by Nevada Cycling. Ugly Nevada Riders all the way! ...or could just be Hideous Nevada Riders, Gross Nevada Riders, etc.--the possibilities are endless. Personally, I think "Droll Nevada Riders" has the best ring and meaning to it. ...at least for the way I ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I'm curious about mountain bike groups in the area, or maybe a couple people willing to show me around a couple of the trails. I will be moving up there 8/4 and will be hoping for a ride the following weekend. I typically ride with my dog. Are there any precautions I need to take in the Reno area with him? I'm used to keeping an eye out for snakes, but that's about all I encounter here. I will be in east Sparks, just east of the Marina.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by heydebbers View Post
    I'm curious about mountain bike groups in the area, or maybe a couple people willing to show me around a couple of the trails. I will be moving up there 8/4 and will be hoping for a ride the following weekend. I typically ride with my dog. Are there any precautions I need to take in the Reno area with him? I'm used to keeping an eye out for snakes, but that's about all I encounter here. I will be in east Sparks, just east of the Marina.
    I've been looking for groups too. Haven't found any yet, but let me know if you wanna get together when you're in town and I can show you what I've been riding.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bluntrager View Post
    I've been looking for groups too. Haven't found any yet, but let me know if you wanna get together when you're in town and I can show you what I've been riding.
    Sweet! I'll PM you when I get there. I hope you don't mind riding with a girl. I can ride technical pretty well, but I'm not super fast.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast