Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Reno

mtbr member

Reno

I have an opportunity to spend part of the spring in Reno (long story). I've never been there and I need the lowdown on the trails there. Internet search reveals a pretty good road bike scene but I'm not getting a lot of info on trails.

Anybody from the Reno area?

Thanks
    "Prollyisnotprobably"

washed-up moto guy
    Hey Bridger,

Glad to hear we'll have a new rider around.

For the population Reno has a pretty impressive trail selection. There are 4 main trail networks in the valley up here in Reno, and many many more to choose from around Tahoe (about 40 minutes away) and South towards Carson City and Minden. Springtime conditions generally allow riding in Tahoe towards the end of April. Most are predominantly XC/AM trails with consistently long ups and consistently long downs, however there are a number of DH areas as well; after all, this is where Paul Basagoitia and Cam Zink call home. I'll list a few of the areas below. To all others, please pitch in if you have more info you'd like to add!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reno Area

1. Keystone Canyon/Peavine

A big trail network just to the North of downtown Reno/UNR. Dirt is hardpack mixed with loose crumble on top. Can be a little slippery, and shade is rare, but there is an almost endless amount of trail out there. Check out The Halo if you're an XC guy, and the Bacon Strip DH if you're more of a DH guy.

2. Pah Rah Mountains

A developing trail network located in the hills east of Sparks (northeastern corner of the valley). Lots of loose volcanic rock makes for slower more technical riding The Zipper is a well-known trail in the area for its 34 switchbacks and 500' of elevation difference in a mile.

3. Hidden Valley

Hidden Valley has two parts; Upper HV, and Lower HV. Upper has some big climbs/descents, but are rarely travelled by anybody other than wild horses. Consequently, the trails can be pretty beat up, and the consequences of a fall can be pretty severe. Lower HV however, is an XC training ground with short loops around 2 mi that can be linked and varied for great training. Although short, these trails are surprisingly fun.

4. Galena

This is by far my favorite area to ride in Reno. The dirt is not as loose/rocky as other places, and the trails navigate through pine trees providing shade, roots, and baby heads of awesomeness. These trails tend to have more flow and are an absolute blast. Tie in the Jones Creek trail with Thomas Creek-Dry Pond Loop and you will have a permagrin.

5. Geiger DH Trails

Never ridden these trails, but I hear they are a blast. Give them a shot if you like DH.

Carson Area

1. Ash Canyon

My second favorite area to ride. About 35 minutes from Reno and the dirt is mainly decomposed granite. The more sandy surface actually holds together surprisingly well and trail builders have put it to good use. The trails are flowy, fast, and there are a number of man-made obstacles that are a blast as well. I always like to climb up to the Creek Trail, throw in some more climbing, and finish off with Return to Sender. The Carson guys have this place wired and can give you more info for sure.

2. Centennial Loop

Never ridden here. I hear it is rocky and technical. Any more info you guys might have?

Minden Area

1. Pinenut Mountains

About 1 1/2 hrs from Reno, but a great trail network just the same. I grew up about 5 minutes from these trails and know them like the back of my hand from endless hours of riding moto out there. The trails are a lot of repeated up and downs with a huge variety of dirt from sand to hard pack and everything in between. It is pretty hard to get lost as the Sierras are visible from every angle, but there are ENDLESS amounts of trail out there. The Pinenut Cracker Loop is always fun, and they even have a DH area (somewhere around this area) that is EXTREMELY gnarly but cool to check out.

2. Genoa

A new trail area in Nevada's first settlement, Genoa. Gorgeous area, and they plan to build more trail as I understand it. Reviews are mediocre as of now, but you can't beat the views.

Tahoe Area

1. Northstar

Northstar is one of the better known bike parks in the US and is a DH paradise. Great XC trails around this area as well.

2. The Flume Trail/TRT

The always famous Flume Trail is kind of a bucket list deal. The views of Tahoe are absolutely incredible, the trail is fairly easy, but it can be a bit crowded. Best to hit it on the weekend, and don't be afraid of exploring above Marlette Lake. Lots of good climbing and Enduro opportunities in this area.

I'm sure I left out a lot of trails/notes/details, so feel free to pitch in. Maybe if we work together and organize this a bit we can get it stickied @mods?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Another loop is cow canyon in NW Reno near Verdi. It's short and the motos beat it up sometimes but it is south facing so it melts quick.

Spring can be hit and miss depending on the weather. It can go from great to bad really quick if we get snow/rain. Don't bother to ride in when its wet - the mud just packs in your tires till they don't spin. If you can't ride in Reno, Auburn is close enough for day trips. The other option is just go skiing or boarding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnum357 View Post
    Hey Bridger,

Glad to hear we'll have a new rider around.

For the population Reno has a pretty impressive trail selection. There are 4 main trail networks in the valley up here in Reno, and many many more to choose from around Tahoe (about 40 minutes away) and South towards Carson City and Minden. Springtime conditions generally allow riding in Tahoe towards the end of April. Most are predominantly XC/AM trails with consistently long ups and consistently long downs, however there are a number of DH areas as well; after all, this is where Paul Basagoitia and Cam Zink call home. I'll list a few of the areas below. To all others, please pitch in if you have more info you'd like to add!

Reno Area

1. Keystone Canyon/Peavine

A big trail network just to the North of downtown Reno/UNR. Dirt is hardpack mixed with loose crumble on top. Can be a little slippery, and shade is rare, but there is an almost endless amount of trail out there. Check out The Halo if you're an XC guy, and the Bacon Strip DH if you're more of a DH guy.

2. Pah Rah Mountains

A developing trail network located in the hills east of Sparks (northeastern corner of the valley). Lots of loose volcanic rock makes for slower more technical riding The Zipper is a well-known trail in the area for its 34 switchbacks and 500' of elevation difference in a mile.

3. Hidden Valley

Hidden Valley has two parts; Upper HV, and Lower HV. Upper has some big climbs/descents, but are rarely travelled by anybody other than wild horses. Consequently, the trails can be pretty beat up, and the consequences of a fall can be pretty severe. Lower HV however, is an XC training ground with short loops around 2 mi that can be linked and varied for great training. Although short, these trails are surprisingly fun.

4. Galena

This is by far my favorite area to ride in Reno. The dirt is not as loose/rocky as other places, and the trails navigate through pine trees providing shade, roots, and baby heads of awesomeness. These trails tend to have more flow and are an absolute blast. Tie in the Jones Creek trail with Thomas Creek-Dry Pond Loop and you will have a permagrin.

5. Geiger DH Trails

Never ridden these trails, but I hear they are a blast. Give them a shot if you like DH.

Carson Area

1. Ash Canyon

My second favorite area to ride. About 35 minutes from Reno and the dirt is mainly decomposed granite. The more sandy surface actually holds together surprisingly well and trail builders have put it to good use. The trails are flowy, fast, and there are a number of man-made obstacles that are a blast as well. I always like to climb up to the Creek Trail, throw in some more climbing, and finish off with Return to Sender. The Carson guys have this place wired and can give you more info for sure.

2. Centennial Loop

Never ridden here. I hear it is rocky and technical. Any more info you guys might have?

Minden Area

1. Pinenut Mountains

About 1 1/2 hrs from Reno, but a great trail network just the same. I grew up about 5 minutes from these trails and know them like the back of my hand from endless hours of riding moto out there. The trails are a lot of repeated up and downs with a huge variety of dirt from sand to hard pack and everything in between. It is pretty hard to get lost as the Sierras are visible from every angle, but there are ENDLESS amounts of trail out there. The Pinenut Cracker Loop is always fun, and they even have a DH area (somewhere around this area) that is EXTREMELY gnarly but cool to check out.

2. Genoa

A new trail area in Nevada's first settlement, Genoa. Gorgeous area, and they plan to build more trail as I understand it. Reviews are mediocre as of now, but you can't beat the views.

Tahoe Area

1. Northstar

Northstar is one of the better known bike parks in the US and is a DH paradise. Great XC trails around this area as well.

2. The Flume Trail/TRT

The always famous Flume Trail is kind of a bucket list deal. The views of Tahoe are absolutely incredible, the trail is fairly easy, but it can be a bit crowded. Best to hit it on the weekend, and don't be afraid of exploring above Marlette Lake. Lots of good climbing and Enduro opportunities in this area.

I'm sure I left out a lot of trails/notes/details, so feel free to pitch in. Maybe if we work together and organize this a bit we can get it stickied @mods?
    Magnum,

Thank You for this excellent and comprehensive trail description. I poured through every Strava report in your post. Looks like some awesome riding! A few serious grunts in there too. Also,
    I didn't realize Tahoe is only 40 min. away, which opens up a whole new realm of possibilities. I'm now looking forward to getting out there.
    "Prollyisnotprobably"

washed-up moto guy
    Quote Originally Posted by bridger View Post
    Magnum,

Thank You for this excellent and comprehensive trail description. I poured through every Strava report in your post. Looks like some awesome riding! A few serious grunts in there too. Also,
    I didn't realize Tahoe is only 40 min. away, which opens up a whole new realm of possibilities. I'm now looking forward to getting out there.
    My pleasure. When will you be getting out here?

weirdo
    Good job, Mag
    Recalculating....

Short-Change-Hero
    Think Jon pretty much nailed it on the head with that. I havent been active around here that much lately (other priorities plus a new 4x4 toy).

To answer the question about Centennial loop, it is the far east side of carson above the softball fields at Centennial Park. The ride is pretty techy in the first few hundred yards but opens up to some pretty mellow XC riding. Lots of fireroad there that can be explored and some pretty sandy areas during the drier months. The loop can be broken up but mainly consists of a 9mile loop that goes out one side and then climbs up a fireroad and drops down another. A friend maintains the trails and he is more of a DH/AM guy so there are some bermed corners and what not.

As said before, the entry/exit is the rockiest part and will give your arms and suspension a workout. I will try to keep and eye on the boards here and if you are in the area hit me up and I would be happy to try and meet you (note I work 4-10s schedule Tuesday - Friday).

There is A LOT in our area...
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Don't forget to make a stop by the dirt jumps/pump track in Sun Valley. Fun for all!

mtbr member
    Most deffinately loads of killer trails of all types so pick one and enjoy the scenery.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Think Jon pretty much nailed it on the head with that. I havent been active around here that much lately (other priorities plus a new 4x4 toy).

To answer the question about Centennial loop, it is the far east side of carson above the softball fields at Centennial Park. The ride is pretty techy in the first few hundred yards but opens up to some pretty mellow XC riding. Lots of fireroad there that can be explored and some pretty sandy areas during the drier months.
    Going to head over on thur and give it a shot. Direction wise once on hwy 50 east would i make a left on Cen park dr? or go farther east?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I always hang a left on Arrowhead Dr then a quick right on Cen Park Dr then all the way to the back of the softball feilds. If you like horses bring a camera because they will likley be hanging around right on the trails

mtbr member
    I'll report conditions when i return home thur.

banned
    Jan 2013
    Any truth to the rumor of slot machines on the trail?

@theolebagger

Short-Change-Hero
    So did you ever get out there? I wasn't lying when I said I didnt check back often!LOL
    If you get off the freeway onto hwy50 and head east, you make a left on Arrowhead and then drive about 1/4 mile before you see the entrance to the park. Take the road to the very back of the softball fields and you will see where the trail starts.

Riding buddy and her husband did it this weekend and said it was pretty dry.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

mtbr member
    So did you ever get out there? I wasn't lying when I said I didnt check back often!LOL
    If you get off the freeway onto hwy50 and head east, you make a left on Arrowhead and then drive about 1/4 mile before you see the entrance to the park. Take the road to the very back of the softball fields and you will see where the trail starts.

Riding buddy and her husband did it this weekend and said it was pretty dry.
    no sir you weren't.....and sadly no i didn't make it.

mtbr member

Reno

Anyone know where I can rent a decent trail/AM bike in Reno?

Short-Change-Hero
    Shop "demos" are pretty rare and few and far between unless you are looking real hard. If you just want something to rent for the weekend then closest place I can think of would be NorthStar but that is during the summer when they have the park going.

Maybe try giving Great Basin or High Sierra Cycling, those are two of my favorite shops.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

mtbr member
    Shop "demos" are pretty rare and few and far between unless you are looking real hard. If you just want something to rent for the weekend then closest place I can think of would be NorthStar but that is during the summer when they have the park going.

Maybe try giving Great Basin or High Sierra Cycling, those are two of my favorite shops.
    yea Rich would know if anyone.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuel53 View Post
    Anyone know where I can rent a decent trail/AM bike in Reno?
    You can also try Village Ski Loft in Incline Village. They sell most of their bikes in the fall but might have some left.

mtbr member

Reno

Thanks. Prob won't be able to get over to Tahoe during my short visit. A demo would be perfect. Will ask those shops.

mtbr member
    Thanks. Prob won't be able to get over to Tahoe during my short visit. A demo would be perfect. Will ask those shops.
    when and how long will you be in town???

mtbr member

Reno

I think it's 12-18 May for a work convention. I've done the flume and toads wild ride around Tahoe and some trails near Fallon as well as Bootleg canyon but never Reno/Carson city area. Looking for an AM even DH bike for a day or two. If Northstar would be open I would make the trip. Will the snow be melted by then?

mtbr member
    I think it's 12-18 May for a work convention. I've done the flume and toads wild ride around Tahoe and some trails near Fallon as well as Bootleg canyon but never Reno/Carson city area. Looking for an AM even DH bike for a day or two. If Northstar would be open I would make the trip. Will the snow be melted by then?
    Ahhhhh cool, hard to say what the conditions will be 3 months from now but typically the vast majority of snow is gone except for 9k+ elevations.
    If your unable to locate a rental I would loan you my AM bike( 17" IH mkIII) to ride while i ride my slower fatty if that interests you.

mtbr member

Reno

Patty,
    That's mighty generous of you. I might just take you up one that.

mtbr member
    anyone been out on Peavine lately? curious if there is still mud in keystone canyon or if its good to go. 70's all week, hot damn!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast