mtbr member

Relocation to Vegas...please advise!

Hey Vegas area riders,

It's looking like I'll be moving the fam from northern UT to Vegas sometime in the next few months for a new job. Very stoked about the move, and am looking forward to getting involved in the riding scene there.

However, the thought of the actual move terrifies me. I'm sort of familiar with the real estate dynamics in Vegas (cash-driven) and have heard horror stories about finding a house and actually getting the deal closed.

I thought I'd post a message in the forum here to seek recommendations that any locals might have about neighborhoods to look at, and also to try to find a dependable real estate rock star that someone has personal experience with. Guess I don't know many people who have lived in Vegas, so I don't have much to work with at this point other than Googling. Do have 2 young kids, and so far Henderson has caught my attention because of parks, lots of paved trail for the kids, as well as the new bike park going in (not to mention close to Bootleg).

I appreciate all info and look forward to getting down there to pedal!

Scott

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Nothing wrong with parts of Henderson, but you'll hear most people to tell you live in Summerlin. North West Summerlin is the most popular but also has the most traffic because of it. Southwestern Summerlin near Charleston/215, a rock throw from Red Rock Canyon would be my ideal place to live (still expensive). But that puts you pretty much on the opposite side of town/strip/old Vegas, if that is where you are going to be working.

Most of the best riding is Bootleg(down hill) and Cottonwood in the far SW of Vegas. If I had my choice, I'd live in the nicer areas of Mountains Edge. Very close to the Cottonwood trail system, which is the go to for XC style riding. Then if you want the crazy downhill at Bootleg its not too horrible of a drive. The mountains edge area has good newer schools, and not the crazy expensive HOA fees that Summerlin has.

Many will argue that Summerlin(Providence) is the best in Vegas and it may be but the trade off for the commute and dozens of miles from the best trail systems isn't worth it for me. Commutes being 25 to 40 minutes depending on where you are working, but that's far in Vegas. And the 95/summerlin pkwy traffic in the morning and afternoon just sucks.

From the Mountains edge area you are traveling North on the 15, which seems to always be opposite of the traffic, then when going home South of the 15, which again is opposite. Mountains Edge, Exploration Park is arguably the best kid park in Vegas.

But that's just my 2 cents. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I live on the west side a couple of miles from the strip (Tropicana and Rainbow) and it is a nice area, with parks etc as you mentioned. It is very convenient to alot of things, including the riding at Blue Diamond. I can't remember who my realtor was, but he worked for Caldwell Banker, and it was a great experience working with him. Very helpfull.

oracle
    Sep 2009
    PM sent!
    you don't have to be great to get started... you have to get started to be GREAT!

mtbr member
    Thanks guys, appreciate all that advice. Have a lot of looking around to do!

Young, Shawn Young
    I moved to Mountains edge back in 2004 just to be closer to most of the trails. Good value for your money right now as well. Look up the Yellowstone community, I love living here
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

\m/ \m/
    I was in the same boat 2 years ago when the Air Force moved me here. I think the best spot to live for both road and mountain cycling is the in the Southwest (Summerlin and zip code 89148) - this is where I live and I'm very happy. I can ride Bears Best Trails from my house (5 mile road ride)
    13' Lynskey M290
    13' Venge Pro Force
    13' Crux Elite
    12' Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Big B's Trails
    Summerlin South
    Tropicana & Hualapi
    I dig dirt!

The Hutch
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmon View Post
    I moved to Mountains edge back in 2004 just to be closer to most of the trails. Good value for your money right now as well. Look up the Yellowstone community, I love living here
    ditto
    follow me on twitter
    @RobertEHutch

mtbr member
    Awesome info...thanks guys.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    where is the bbt at..? i just moved here from el paso and so far only been on cottonwood but its such a long drive

mtbr member
    One piece of advice. We bought here last year.. bought with a short sale. Made offer on 1st of March, didn't close till end of August. It takes that long. We weren't in a hurry to move, so no big deal.

PM sent.
    -zip

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by vickingram1986 View Post
    where is the bbt at..? i just moved here from el paso and so far only been on cottonwood but its such a long

drive
    Bears Best MTB Trail

This link should work for the thread about BBT. If it doesn't, just search for bear's best trail in the Nevada forum.