mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Relocating to Vegas from Phoenix

So I'm relocating with my job and I'd love to hear what you think are the top three trails are out there close to Vegas are. Thanks for your help!

Big B's Trails
    Hmmmm I like em all so can't really be help there... however you can place them by location.
    1. Westside of LV - Cottonwood/BD trail system, Cowboy Trail system, BBTrail system
    2. Northwest of LV - Kyle Cyn trail system(forest), Twilight trail, Bristlecone Trail, Sawmill
    3. Henderson - Bootleg/BC trail system, AETrail system
    4. Southwest of LV - Union Hills trail system, Cottonwood/BD trail system
    I dig dirt!

Lone Wolf McQuade
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
    So I'm relocating with my job and I'd love to hear what you think are the top three trails are out there close to Vegas are. Thanks for your help!
    T- if you don't mind my asking, what type of work do you do?

Matt
    I should be out riding....

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Fred, THX for the reply. After lurking the Nevada forum for a couple o days, I'm pleasantly suprised to find there are many ("good") trails close to vegas proper...SWEET!! I'll look those up and see how much travel time is involved getting to each.

I'm in PHX now and there are some great trails here. I have to travel around 20-30 min to each main riding spot here from where I currently live.

Not sure how Vegas trails will compare but i'm excited to get there and ride. Now to pick the neighborhood. Anyone care to weigh in on which area is good/best to raise kids? Sorry to get off topic.

Beagledad, I'm a doc. primary care.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Sorry

BTW, sorry, I just saw the sticky for visitors

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Fred, THX for the reply. After lurking the Nevada forum for a couple o days, I'm pleasantly suprised to find there are many ("good") trails close to vegas proper...SWEET!! I'll look those up and see how much travel time is involved getting to each.

I'm in PHX now and there are some great trails here. I have to travel around 20-30 min to each main riding spot here from where I currently live.

Not sure how Vegas trails will compare but i'm excited to get there and ride. Now to pick the neighborhood. Anyone care to weigh in on which area is good/best to raise kids? Sorry to get off topic.

Beagledad, I'm a doc. primary care.
    I don't know what others thinks, but I think you can get to almost every trail system in 45 min or less depending where your at. This may not include the mt charleston trails if you are in henderson though. I'm in the very northwest and its about 45 min to bootleg and that's the complete other side of the valley.

mtbr member
    Tbone,
    My wife and I live in henderson. This suburb is south of las vegas about 20-25 mins from the strip.
    My daughter attends Green Valley hs a terrific school.
    You can type in henderson, nv and the city webpage should be in the search data.
    My wife is a school nurse in east las vegas area which is a low income area high needs area.
    Keep The Rubber Side Down

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks Mr D for the info. I keep hearing good things about Henderson. I've just begun researching the matter as I just got the news Wednesday.

mtbr member
    Don't know much about neighborhoods and schools but if I were moving to Vegas, having ridden there quite a bit in the past 10 years, I'd look at the Summerlin area which would be close to the Bears Best Trails and Cowboy trails and not far from Blue Diamond/Cottonwood. Even Mt. Charleston wouldn't be too bad from there... or Henderson which is close to the East Anthem stuff and not far from Bootleg (15-20 minutes).

In addition to Phoenix, Las Vegas has some of the best metropolitan area riding I've seen.....and depending on where you live, closer. On a Saturday morning (deserted freeways) you can get from one end of the Valley to the other in 30 minutes or less.

Big B's Trails
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    Don't know much about neighborhoods and schools but if I were moving to Vegas, having ridden there quite a bit in the past 10 years, I'd look at the Summerlin area which would be close to the Bears Best Trails and Cowboy trails and not far from Blue Diamond/Cottonwood. Even Mt. Charleston wouldn't be too bad from there... or Henderson which is close to the East Anthem stuff and not far from Bootleg (15-20 minutes).

In addition to Phoenix, Las Vegas has some of the best metropolitan area riding I've seen.....and depending on where you live, closer. On a Saturday morning (deserted freeways) you can get from one end of the Valley to the other in 30 minutes or less.
    This^^^
    But I'm biased.....WESTSIDE(Summerlin) is the best side!
    I dig dirt!

Lone Wolf McQuade
    Good luck with the move and we'll see you on the trails

Matt
    I should be out riding....

mtbr member

Phoenix to Las Vegas myself

T-Bone, I myself moved from Phx to Vegas a few years ago. I lived in Summerlin which is Scottsdale like and really enjoyed it. The bummer, I spent most of my time at Bootleg Canyon so I had a 30-40 minute drive. Cottonwood was close by and Bears Best Trail was just getting up to speed. It all depends on what type of riding you are looking for? Are you a South Mountain person? Then Bootleg is the spot. Are you a PMP/T100 person? Then cottonwood and BBT is for you.

I must admit, I did move back to AZ after about 4 years...I just couldn't resist living in Flagstaff again.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

This is GREAT news! I love my trails here in Phoenix and is good to hear they are great there as well. I've been riding here since 2005 3x a week and am excited to have a change of scenery. Thanks for the input.

I'm shocked about the shortish commute times you mentioned. I heard the same thing from a guy here that was visiting from Vegas. He was frustrated with driving across PHX for >1hr each way. He also said in Vegas its approx 1/2 hr from one side to the other. NICE

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by beagledadi View Post
    Good luck with the move and we'll see you on the trails

Matt
    Thanks!! I look forward to it. Flying out Friday to get a feel. Wishin I could bring the bike!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcatnau View Post
    T-Bone, I myself moved from Phx to Vegas a few years ago. I lived in Summerlin which is Scottsdale like and really enjoyed it. The bummer, I spent most of my time at Bootleg Canyon so I had a 30-40 minute drive. Cottonwood was close by and Bears Best Trail was just getting up to speed. It all depends on what type of riding you are looking for? Are you a South Mountain person? Then Bootleg is the spot. Are you a PMP/T100 person? Then cottonwood and BBT is for you.

I must admit, I did move back to AZ after about 4 years...I just couldn't resist living in Flagstaff again.
    Ah, Flag. Agreed. I will miss heading to Flag occasionally. How does Mt Charleston compare?

I ride both T100 and SoMo the most and appreciate both immensely. It sounds like I wont have much adapting to do when I get there.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaFred View Post
    This^^^
    But I'm biased.....WESTSIDE(Summerlin) is the best side!
    Yes, have been looking heavily at Summerlin. Looks nice. Just curious, what places you would say NOT to move to?

mtbr member
    Ah, Flag. Agreed. I will miss heading to Flag occasionally. How does Mt Charleston compare?

I ride both T100 and SoMo the most and appreciate both immensely. It sounds like I wont have much adapting to do when I get there.
    Mt. Charleston doesn't have anywhere near the amount of trails as Mt. Elden although it looks like things are developing. User built stuff is how Flagg got so many trails. Hopefully it keeps growing out at Charleston. It'd be nice to have a Summer time alternative. Check out the thread on this forum about Mt. Charleston trails.

I might also add that the Cowboy trails in Red Rock Canyon (15 minutes from Summerlin) are probably the most So Mo like trails in the area. Bootleg Canyon also has everything from XC to AM to full on pucker up DH runs. Prolly 45 minutes from Summerlin.

Keep in mind that St. George/Hurricane are only 1.5 hours away and Brianhead is about 2.5 hours. Heck Flagstaff is only 3 or 4 hours away.

Vegas is not a bad place for a mountain biker to reside.

mtbr member
    T-bone, the one thing you will realize is how the trails are not crowded like phx. It seems that you ride for hours without seeing anyone else on the trails. That's something I am having to adjust to in flag, can't go balls out because I might run into a hiker or another mtb'r.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcatnau View Post
    T-bone, the one thing you will realize is how the trails are not crowded like phx. It seems that you ride for hours without seeing anyone else on the trails. That's something I am having to adjust to in flag, can't go balls out because I might run into a hiker or another mtb'r.
    That is WONDERFUL news. for the last three years I've ridden primarily at night (kids are asleep, cool outside, no hikers) so havent had much hiker interaction but lately have been riding more and more during the day and I miss open trails. That will be great.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Mt. Charleston doesn't have anywhere near the amount of trails as Mt. Elden although it looks like things are developing. User built stuff is how Flagg got so many trails. Hopefully it keeps growing out at Charleston. It'd be nice to have a Summer time alternative. Check out the thread on this forum about Mt. Charleston trails.

I might also add that the Cowboy trails in Red Rock Canyon (15 minutes from Summerlin) are probably the most So Mo like trails in the area. Bootleg Canyon also has everything from XC to AM to full on pucker up DH runs. Prolly 45 minutes from Summerlin.

Keep in mind that St. George/Hurricane are only 1.5 hours away and Brianhead is about 2.5 hours. Heck Flagstaff is only 3 or 4 hours away.

Vegas is not a bad place for a mountain biker to reside.
    I take it St George and Hurricane are good (great?) MTB destinations? Forgive me, I'm a little naive except for 1 roadtrip to Moab a couple of yrs back. That's my only real riding outside AZ.

Proud American
    St. George/Hurricane are outstanding! I go regularily. Barrel, Zen, Stuckie, JEM, Rim, Goose, Guac, Little Creek,(previous three are awesome Mesa/slick rock rides) Church, & Bear. You can also ride Coyote Springs(private, get pass) about 45 min north of Vegas. You'll love it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bluejudad View Post
    St. George/Hurricane are outstanding! I go regularily. Barrel, Zen, Stuckie, JEM, Rim, Goose, Guac, Little Creek,(previous three are awesome Mesa/slick rock rides) Church, & Bear. You can also ride Coyote Springs(private, get pass) about 45 min north of Vegas. You'll love it.
    awesome info, THX! am there tomorrow, cant wait to check it out.