likes bicycles

Rear Tire for Reno

So I recently moved to Reno, and I'm loving the area.

Somewhat conveniently, my rear tire is pretty worn out and needing a replacement. The bike is a 5.5" full squish. I was previously running a 2.35 Kenda Nevegal DTC. As far as riding style - I definitely climb, but the downhill is where it's at. My front tire is a 2.4 Kenda Telonix. It's still in good shape, so I'm not looking to replace it yet.

I'll definitely be riding Peavine alot since it's so close. I figure I'll be hitting up Galena Creek, and definitely want to spend a ton of time above 8000'.

What do you other Renite (yeah??) recommend?

mtbr member
    2.25 Ardent if you run tubes. Michelin wild grip r advanced 2.25 if you run tubeless.

Short-Change-Hero
    Loving my GEAX Saguaro and have only found that it does not like wet stuff but I have to really try hard to break it loose in everything else (running a 29er HT).
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Ardent is good but heavy. I ran an Ardent in the front all last season. I have been running Ignitors or Ikons in the back and they work really well out here. These are the EXO (sidewall protection). These were all tubeless as well.

likes bicycles
    Quote Originally Posted by gregnash View Post
    Loving my GEAX Saguaro and have only found that it does not like wet stuff but I have to really try hard to break it loose in everything else (running a 29er HT).
    Do the trails up near Tahoe get a lot of summer storms, or do they stay dry?

I'm running tubes. Hoping to go tubless some time in the future, but have some other more pressing issues to take care of on the ride first.

I ran the Ardents in upstate NY when they first came out. I remember them wearing pretty quick, but I was riding lots of granite outcrops. They were sweet tires, though. Loved the volume.

Short-Change-Hero
    Really kinda depends on the time of year. This year has been weird weather wise but no real storms that have done anything other than make the ground tacky. Again it really depends on the area, storms season, and trails. Rode up in Truckee for a race this last weekend and there was a huge amount of the course that was sharp rock. I counted at least 6 people that flatted, and a couple of DNFs from tire blows, slashes, etc. But that was the first time I had come across a trail like that.GEAX seem to be pretty good wear wise, and depending on the trails you run you can more than likely get away with either the AKA or Saguaro (chevron pattern type tread), the GATO is more of an AM tire with much wider spaced knobs and larger knobs, very gnarly but to me it seems to roll quite fast and grips on just about everything.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I'm a noob and am looking into replacing my tires. I have a 29er hardtail and it came with SB8 tires and they're horrible in anything loose, but great on pavement on my commute. I like to go on off-road rides a few days each week, but I'm limited because of my tires. Can anyone suggest a tire set/combo that works in the Reno area mountains but isn't a pain to ride to/from the trail head? I'm thinking some a slim XC tire in the back and a fatter all-mountain tire in the front. Good or bad idea?

likes bicycles
    Quote Originally Posted by 1RazO View Post
    I'm a noob and am looking into replacing my tires. I have a 29er hardtail and it came with SB8 tires and they're horrible in anything loose, but great on pavement on my commute. I like to go on off-road rides a few days each week, but I'm limited because of my tires. Can anyone suggest a tire set/combo that works in the Reno area mountains but isn't a pain to ride to/from the trail head? I'm thinking some a slim XC tire in the back and a fatter all-mountain tire in the front. Good or bad idea?
    How long is the ride to the trail head?

I personally think you should just get an aggressive tire for the loose. Something that rolls well on the asphalt likely won't grip in the dust, and I'd rather have predictable traction off road. Sure, it'll take a little longer to ride to the trail. Yeah, they'll probably wear out a little faster. But you'll have more fun on the trail.

As for the skinnier tire rear, fatter front - I like to run that set up.

Maybe try out some of the 29er suggestions people have thrown out here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Question from Newcomer - WHY NO OVERNIGHT HIKING AND BIKING IN RENO ?

Hi - I'm not sure where to post this since new users must post 5 "reply" posts before starting a thread. I'm posting this in a Reno thread.

I am in Reno and why do Reno / Washoe County area parks close at 9pm until Labor Day, 7pm after Labor Day, and 5p in the Winter.
    (SEE INFO, BELOW)

If I park at the trail heads at dusk, and ride until 11pm, will I be fined, arrested, or jailed?

I've done some research on this. Apparently, Scottsdale Arizona's new McDowell Mountain Bike park also has the same rules - dawn to dusk. Same with Palm Springs - dawn to dusk.

However, Bend, Oregon trails are open until 10pm. On the other hand, Rattlesnake Lake near mountain bike friendly North Bend and Issaquah near Seattle has No Overnight Parking Signs, so you can't arrive at your car after dark up there without a ticket and possible jail time.

What do you do in Reno and Washoe County in the winter when your job ends at 5pm, and it's getting dark, and you want to ride on the trails? Do the police enforce the rules? Will they arrest you after dark?

What are the hours at the mountain bike parks in Vegas near Henderson and Boulder City?

I love to ride at night, have high powered bike lights (600 lumens+), and often don't have time to start riding until 600pm when it's dark in winter.

Thanks ....

www dot washoecounty.us/parks/ParkHours]Park Hours

Washoe County park hours vary with the season. A general rule of thumb is that, unless otherwise posted, parks are open from 8:00 a.m. to sunset.

Summer (Friday of Memorial Day Weekend to Labor Day): 8:00 a.m. 9:00 p.m.

Fall (Day after Labor Day to Fall Time Change): 8:00 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.

Winter (Fall Time Change to Spring Time Change): 8:00 a.m. 5:00 p.m.

Spring (Spring Time Change to the Friday of Memorial Day Weekend):
    Last edited by jeeptrails999; 08-07-2012 at 02:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Widest mountain bike tire for newbie

Quote Originally Posted by vitale232 View Post
    So I recently moved to Reno, and I'm loving the area.

Somewhat conveniently, my rear tire is pretty worn out and needing a replacement. The bike is a 5.5" full squish. I was previously running a 2.35 Kenda Nevegal DTC. As far as riding style - I definitely climb, but the downhill is where it's at. My front tire is a 2.4 Kenda Telonix. It's still in good shape, so I'm not looking to replace it yet.

I'll definitely be riding Peavine alot since it's so close. I figure I'll be hitting up Galena Creek, and definitely want to spend a ton of time above 8000'.

What do you other Renite (yeah??) recommend?
    Question about your post, too. I am a newbie mountain biker with cheap, not very aggressive, 2" Bontrager tires. I'd like to get the widest possible for training purposes. You mention 2.4" Is that the widest that they come? What's recommended for a beginner, with no experience with rugged volcanic rocks such as Peavine and SW Reno near Steamboat Ditch, etc.?

Also, can you recommend an authorized Truckee Meadows TREK dealer?

Are there are used bike shops that would have moderately used 2.4" + tires?

Thank you !