Thread: quick question

mtbr member
    Apr 2012

quick question

hello everyone im new here and new to MTB. i live here in vegas SouthWest to be specific. last week i bought my girlfriend a Hardtail 2010 Focus Black Pro. now im looking for a bike for me but i can make up my mind between the Dual suspension or hartail dilemma. so for those of you that know the las vegas area, which one is more practical as far as trails go. my budge is abt 2k i can either buy used or new if needed.

i had a few bikes in mind.

2010 specialized stumpjumper FSR comp
    2012 Trek Superfly AL Elite

mtbr member
    You can find plenty of trail for either one. The hardtail will help you develop better line selection and standing pedal stroke,which is a good thing if you stick with it(mtb'ing) and pick up a FS down the road.

If it was me, since the GF has a hardtail (insert inappropiate comment here ) I would pick the Trek hardtail. It's new and you said your new to the sport,so maintanence will be your regular stuff, chain,air in tires,ect. You'll both be on the same type of bike so ride selection will be easier.

Hope this helps a little. Welcome to our addiction,see ya out on the trails!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Bike selection

Here is a link to Better Ride. There are a ton of blogs on mountain bike selection, setup and riding. Since you have 2K I would go with a FS and not have to upgrade in a few months.

The Best Mountain Bike For Learning Skills? - BetterRide.net

Here is a link to the Las Vegas MTB Group:

Mountain Bike Las Vegas (Las Vegas, NV) - Meetup

Signup and come out for a begginers ride.

If you have any questions PM me.

Andy

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    My vote would definately be for the full suspension bike. A stump jumper would be a good all around trail bike for vegas. I think you would have more fun on that bike on the majority of trails than you would on a hard tail. Just my opinion

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thank u everyone. I'm getting 2011 Giant Trance Advanced SL1 ship tomorrow hurray

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thats great, Enjoy!

Big B's Trails
    Enjoy your new ride
    All personal choice on bikes, ride what tickles you.
    I dig dirt!