drev-il, not Dr. Evil!

Night Riding in Vegas

So after reading this board a little, it seems that it's cool to night ride in Vegas. I'll be there all of next week, and may want to check out the desert at night

I was thinking either Cottonwood (which I've been to 6+ times) or Bears Best (which I've never been to). Anything I should know, like where to park or not to, a particular time I have to be out by, or needing a pass? Do I have to be with a group, or can I go solo?

Thanks much,

Rickyd
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

mtbr member
    Both of those are great nite spots! If you goto Cottonwood park in Blue Diamond. The Latenite trailhead on SR160 gets travelers,partiers and such.
    Bears you can park at RcWileys or Mesa Park.
    Bootleg is also an option at nite as well as Anthem.
    I'm not sure if I'm going out of town yet. But either way I could do monday or tuesday nite.
    There's a group ride on thursday morning from Latenite.
    Pm me when you get here. I'll ride at least once with ya.

Kenny

Lone Wolf McQuade
    Sunset is at 4:30pm this time of year

Matt
    I should be out riding....

Young, Shawn Young
    Ill be honest, night riding maybe over for some of us this year. Im enjoying riding during the day again after a long hot summer of night riding. That said I think Cottonwood is awesome for night riding
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
    Quote Originally Posted by knoob View Post
    Both of those are great nite spots! If you goto Cottonwood park in Blue Diamond. The Latenite trailhead on SR160 gets travelers,partiers and such.
    Bears you can park at RcWileys or Mesa Park.
    Bootleg is also an option at nite as well as Anthem.
    I'm not sure if I'm going out of town yet. But either way I could do monday or tuesday nite.
    There's a group ride on thursday morning from Latenite.
    Pm me when you get here. I'll ride at least once with ya.

Kenny
    Thanks for the info Kenny. I've been lucky enough to be able to ride during the day, so haven't really thought much of hitting the trails at night. Wife and I have done Bootleg, Blue Diamond, and Bears Best so far on this trip. We're about to head out to do Cottonwood.

Anyone else going to that meetup.com Turkey Ride tomorrow at Latenight? I should be there, wearing the green and orange MORE jersey riding the pink rigid singlespeed Say hi!

Cheers,

rickyd
    "Keep your burgers lean and your tires fat." -h.d. | bikecentric | ssoft

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drevil View Post

Anyone else going to that meetup.com Turkey Ride tomorrow at Latenight? I should be there, wearing the green and orange MORE jersey riding the pink rigid singlespeed Say hi!

Cheers,

rickyd
    Yea,I'll be there........along with about 30 others
    I should be at Bear's about 1'ish enjoying the weather

mtbr member
    We'll be out night riding cottonwood tonight! Love that place in the evening, especially now with no snakes.

Viva la Vida!
    I am riding Bear's Best in a couple of hours if you care to join.
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Wheres the best place to park for cottonwood trails at night?

Are there many trailheads for cottonwood?

mtbr member
    I would recommend parking in Blue Diamond by the Outpost. The Latenight Lot can attract.....umm.......sketchy people sometimes in the dark.

Edit:

There are 3.

Blue Diamond
    Latenight ( 1st tunnel, paved lot )
    Cottonwood ( 2nd tunnel, dirt lot )
    Last edited by knoob; 12-17-2012 at 03:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by knoob View Post
    .sketchy people sometimes in the dark.
    Or Katies lot.

Agree that the paved lot can be a bit weird at night. I've had a few kooky encounters there in the dark. Once around 10:30 we saw a guy come screaming into the lot in a fancy sports car. Squeals to a stop, angled, right in front of the bathrooms, runs in (car still running), and I hear this massive explosion and a great exclamation of "oh my god". My daughter and I were laughing our asses off. Must have barely made it.

The lot also gets a lot of 'overnighters' but they never seem to cause a problem.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    hmmm, thanks for the tip!

mtbr member
    There is a "end of the world as we know it" ride on friday night from Latenight lot with the meet-up group. And a thurs nite from Anthem hills park.
    IDKH to post links from my phone, but i will in the AM when i get to work.
    Should be 15 or so fri. & just our regular 4-5 on thurs

Links:
    Thursday Nite :Thursday Nite Ride, Intermediate. - Mountain Bike Las Vegas (Las Vegas, NV) - Meetup

Friday Nite: Last date on the Mayan calendar Night Ride. Light specials at Southwest bikes - Mountain Bike Las Vegas (Las Vegas, NV) - Meetup
    Last edited by knoob; 12-18-2012 at 10:32 AM.

mtbr member
    Cottonwood is a blast at night. It's just... chilly and windy this time of year at night.

The Twilight Trails up north towards Mt. Charleston are fun at night too. The front side of the trail really sucks, but once you get towards the backside the fun starts to kick in.

Night riding in the summer is almost a must. I'm trying to save for a set of brighter lights myself. These 300 lumen damnits just aren't cutting it. LOL.

Rigs:
    Specialized Rockhopper HT
    Trek 6500 HT
    Trek 3700 Disc HT (The son's)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Has anyone mapped of twilight? I live at the 95 and Horse Rd which makes this the closest trail to me by far. So I really hope to find some sweet parts of it.

After liviing here for a month now I've ridden some of Bootleg, some of Cottonwood, some of twighlight and a good part of the Anthem trails. I'm happy that there are good trails here. What a relief coming from the PHX area. Was a little worried but pleasantly suprised.

Next on the list is Cowboy trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
    Has anyone mapped of twilight? I live at the 95 and Horse Rd which makes this the closest trail to me by far. So I really hope to find some sweet parts of it.

After liviing here for a month now I've ridden some of Bootleg, some of Cottonwood, some of twighlight and a good part of the Anthem trails. I'm happy that there are good trails here. What a relief coming from the PHX area. Was a little worried but pleasantly suprised.

Next on the list is Cowboy trails.
    The Cowboy trails are freakin awesome. Definitely challenging and techy.

Where on earth are the Anthem trails? I've read about them, but have no idea where the parking lot or trail head is at. I live down in Henderson.

We should definitely meet up sometime soon for some riding. The old group I used to ride with kind of fell apart...
    Rigs:
    Specialized Rockhopper HT
    Trek 6500 HT
    Trek 3700 Disc HT (The son's)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BigHit-Maniac View Post
    The Cowboy trails are freakin awesome. Definitely challenging and techy.

Where on earth are the Anthem trails? I've read about them, but have no idea where the parking lot or trail head is at. I live down in Henderson.

We should definitely meet up sometime soon for some riding. The old group I used to ride with kind of fell apart...
    Would love to but i didnt love those trails. I started at the park that has the skatepark. I work at an urgent care on eastern and horizon so it's pretty close to me for night rides

The couple of loops up there were OK but my least fav of the others here in vegas. However, since its so close to my work, the convenience is sometimes the main factor in choosing a ride destination.

cant wait to try cowboy trails!
    Last edited by Tbone; 12-24-2012 at 10:02 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Just rode bears best last night. A fun set of fast trails and a great night ride. I loved the vew of the lights.

Viva la Vida!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbone View Post
    Just rode bears best last night. A fun set of fast trails and a great night ride. I loved the vew of the lights.
    I love to ride BBT @ Night on one hand like you mention you have great views of the city and on the other hand when you are in the canyons and you turn your lights off it feels like you are out in the desert in the middle of nowhere when in reality most of the time you are 10 minutes away from the streets.
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing