Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    occasionally good

New trails going in at the Elko SnoBowl

Figured I'd let you all in on a cool new development on our side of the state...

The Elko SnoBowl Foundation is working to develop new mountain bike trails at the SnoBowl... both lift-served downhill trails and XC trails, rolling through the hills, rocks and junipers north of town. The lift will run on Saturdays during the summer once we get some trails in... Sundays if the demand is there.

We're hosting a National Trails Day event on Saturday, June 4th if you want to help us get this off the ground. We need all the help we can get since this is a 100% community-based thing. We'll be starting off with beginner trails, building more technical trails as we go.

Anyway, here's a flyer that you can help us distribute. Thanks for helping us get the word out, and if you can join us we'll get more trails done more quickly!

Attached Files Attached Files
    Don't ask me a question unless you really want to hear what I think.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    This is great!! Keep up the great work.

Big B's Trails
    Very cool.... I never knew Elko had a ski resort.
    I dig dirt!

occasionally good
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaFred
    Very cool.... I never knew Elko had a ski resort.
    It's more of a community ski hill than a resort... that said, SnoBowl has an amazing amount of soul. I love that place... it's what skiing is SUPPOSED to be about!

We had a great board meeting last night. People are coming out of the woodwork to help us make this happen, including a couple who used to patrol and teach at Schweitzer Ski Resort - an area with an extensive bike trail system - and a downhill racer who's built trail all over the place and who currently works at one of the local mines. I had no idea we had so many downhillers in town, but I guess we do. Makes sense with all of the new college grads who are in town for mine work.

The plan at this point is to start with a beginner trail and put more advanced trails in as time goes on. We're also going to be putting in some XC trails that can be accessed via the lift or via legpower. The SnoBowl itself sits on 640 acres, and there's adjacent BLM property that we're working to incorporate into the park as well.

occasionally good
    We had an absolutely AMAZING National Trails Day event at the SnoBowl over the weekend... 58 people showed up to bust their butts building trail! Pretty amazing.

Here's the writeup I did on the event at the Ruby Mountain Trails blog, including a video of the day.

http://rubymountaintrails.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    do you know what the hrs will be for the mtn biking. is mainly dh or xc stuff..

occasionally good
    Quote Originally Posted by tate1976 View Post
    do you know what the hrs will be for the mtn biking. is mainly dh or xc stuff..
    Right now it's downhill. We've done a lot of work on the first beginner and intermediate trails. An advanced trail has been laid out and they're going to be working on it soon if they haven't started already. We're bringing my husbands backhoe up on Thursday to start construction on some jumps.

We're going to be building XC trails but haven't started that part of the park yet. Hopefully we'll be able to start work on the first XC trail in about a month... we've started the design but nothing's happening yet on the ground.

We haven't figured out what the hours will be yet. The first few days we'll keep the lift running from about 9 to 6 or so, and will see when most people are up using it. Once we see what people want we'll narrow it to a four hour window or so. We'll base days of operation on demand... at least one day a week, more if demand warrants it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    ok sweet well ill try and come down after work in get a hr or so of riding. what is the fee

occasionally good
    Quote Originally Posted by tate1976 View Post
    ok sweet well ill try and come down after work in get a hr or so of riding. what is the fee
    This year it's $15/day, $100 for a summer pass.

There's a Facebook page if you're interested in keeping up with what's going on:

https://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=196311327116

And if you're interested in helping us get stuff built, you can message me through the Facebook page. We have an e-mail list going for volunteers.

mtbr member
    Very excited to get out and try the new trails. Do you think you guys will have any organized races out there?

occasionally good
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbks View Post
    Very excited to get out and try the new trails. Do you think you guys will have any organized races out there?
    That's certainly the intention. David Todaro, the gentleman doing the lion's share of the trail design, is a former pro downhiller and thinks we'll end up with a very appropriate racing venue when we're done. It's his intention to get racing happening here when the time is right.

mtbr member
    Sounds great. Should be a lot of fun.

occasionally good
    Opening day went really well, and the consensus is that we've got a great start going!

We'll be open from 12N - 4P on Saturdays through the summer. And, best of all - if you show up Saturday morning at 9A to help us work on trails, you ride the lift for free that afternoon! This is a community project after all...

If you don't have time/energy to build trails, a lift ticket is $15. Since it all goes right back into getting the trails up and running, most of the people who worked on the trails this Saturday chose to pony up for a lift ticket anyway. Gotta love life in a small town.

Here's a writeup and photos from the day on my blog.

mtbr member
    I knew I should have went and checked it all out. I was told that opening was going to be pushed back because of the bike hooks issue. Oh well, I will be sure to spend a lot of time up there helping and riding in the future. Thanks for the update!!!!

occasionally good
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbks View Post
    I knew I should have went and checked it all out. I was told that opening was going to be pushed back because of the bike hooks issue. Oh well, I will be sure to spend a lot of time up there helping and riding in the future. Thanks for the update!!!!
    We were able to open strictly because the folks at Elko Blacksmith Shop are cool as hell. They had zero time in their schedule to manufacture those hooks for us, but when they heard about our predicament (several companies promised they'd have them made in time, and then reneged) they got ten of them knocked out for us so that we could make the opening day deadline.

That means that our uphill capacity right now is only one bike per every ten chairs. We need another 23 hooks made so that we can have one bike every three chairs, which is appropriate to allow us to load/unload bikes without stopping the lift. That means we're going to have to find a sponsor. EBS is doing them pretty much for cost but the materials aren't free, or even cheap.

perpetual pucker factor
    Just rode there this past Saturday with my brother (from Reno) and my brother-in-law (Spring Creek). I'll be honest. I was a little apprehensive at first glance. Two or three main trails and a single lift don't seem to be much to write home about, but I admit that I was dead wrong. Sometimes the simpler things add to the experience, and this was no exception. I haven't had that much fun riding in a long time. You all have put in so much work to get this going, and it really shows. I've lived in Salt Lake for almost a decade and ridden some amazing trails with truly gifted riders, but I have yet to meet a group as stoked to build and ride as Dave and the group we met at SnoBowl. Nobody sneered at your bike's components, skill level, etc. 0% attitude, 100% enjoyment.

I'm sure the goal is a long way off still, but you're off to a great start. That first, big sweeping left down the intermediate encompassed all that I love about riding. Incredibly fun day that I'll remember forever. I was sad to have had to leave as early as I did.

I'll be back as soon as I can. Keep up the good work!

ps- I have a little bit of GoPro footage that my brother took. When I get some free time from work, I'll post it up, assuming the footage is any good.
    tangaroo: What electrolytes do chicken and turkey have again?
    rck18: All of them, because they're meat.

occasionally good
    Quote Originally Posted by charging_rhinos View Post
    Just rode there this past Saturday with my brother (from Reno) and my brother-in-law (Spring Creek). I'll be honest. I was a little apprehensive at first glance. Two or three main trails and a single lift don't seem to be much to write home about, but I admit that I was dead wrong. Sometimes the simpler things add to the experience, and this was no exception. I haven't had that much fun riding in a long time. You all have put in so much work to get this going, and it really shows. I've lived in Salt Lake for almost a decade and ridden some amazing trails with truly gifted riders, but I have yet to meet a group as stoked to build and ride as Dave and the group we met at SnoBowl. Nobody sneered at your bike's components, skill level, etc. 0% attitude, 100% enjoyment.

I'm sure the goal is a long way off still, but you're off to a great start. That first, big sweeping left down the intermediate encompassed all that I love about riding. Incredibly fun day that I'll remember forever. I was sad to have had to leave as early as I did.

I'll be back as soon as I can. Keep up the good work!

ps- I have a little bit of GoPro footage that my brother took. When I get some free time from work, I'll post it up, assuming the footage is any good.
    SWEET! Glad you guys had fun!

Am heading up today to work on the beginner trail with a crew from the Nevada Division of Forestry... a couple of those switchbacks are more than little kids are going to be able to handle, and some folks donated a bunch of railroad ties that we'll use to make those switchbacks less steep and more kid-friendly.

My husband and I were up there on Thursday dropping off the railroad ties... the lift was running and people were riding, even though we weren't technically open. Seems Roche and Vic were up there working on the lift and some out-of-towners drove up having heard about the place. Roche figured 'what the hell, we're here' and so ran the lift so those guys could ride.

Don't see that happening at a big resort.

Dave has been seriously kicking butt getting those trails on the ground, and every foot of trail up there shows the stoke he has for the project. So amazingly cool.

mtbr member
    My Dad goes up to Elko almost every Friday/Saturday to bring a neighbor up for dialysis. Maybe I'll see if I can tag along one of these days.

Looks like fun.

Is there stuff he would enjoy there, Sue?

occasionally good
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    My Dad goes up to Elko almost every Friday/Saturday to bring a neighbor up for dialysis. Maybe I'll see if I can tag along one of these days.

Looks like fun.

Is there stuff he would enjoy there, Sue?
    If he's into downhilling the beginner and (maybe) the intermediate trail would suit for him. The beginner trail is designed to be fun for anyone, whether they have a big hit bike or a rigid singlespeed and arthritic joints. The intermediate trail's quite a bit steeper - 15% average trail grade or so - but other than the steepness isn't technical and is very flowy.

The other option is the Secret-Lamoille trail... it only goes 3 miles in at this point and the switchbacks are unrideable at the moment, but it's really beautiful, esp. early in the morning or in the evening. 7.7% trail grade, so it's a bit of a workout but worth it.

We may not be open this weekend... still trying to get it worked out, neither of our lift operators appear to be available at this moment. I'll let you know. We'll be open either way next weekend. We're in the process of rebuilding one of the switchbacks on the beginner trail - it was too steep for newbies - if we're going to be open I'll need to get up there and move some stuff around to make it rideable. The NDF guys were up there all day today busting a$$ - they're doing a killer job with it.

mtbr member
    My mom mentioned this a couple weeks ago. I'm coming home next weekend for a few days. Are there any shops in Elko to rent a bike, I'm guessing T-Rix would be about the only place, but then I haven't really been home to ride in the last 5 years?

occasionally good
    I don't think Rick rents bikes. I'd be willing to bet that one of the locals will let you borrow one, though. I'll be out of town but can hook you up with a medium Spot or a large Blur if you are willing to use an X-C bike. Don't have a downhill bike myself but there are quite a few of them around. Is Don your dad? If so we live right up the street.

mtbr member
    No, my dad is Ted minton, part of the "other" spring creek Minton clan. No relation. I took a nasty fall on wednesday and tore my self up pretty bad so i probably won't be riding. Thank you very much for the offer though!

occasionally good
    Quote Originally Posted by tyrone.minton View Post
    No, my dad is Ted minton, part of the "other" spring creek Minton clan. No relation. I took a nasty fall on wednesday and tore my self up pretty bad so i probably won't be riding. Thank you very much for the offer though!
    Oh, boo! Sorry to hear that, heal up quickly!

mtbr member
    Hey guys, I made it into town. I took a drive up to SnoBowl today. There is SOOOOO much potential for that mountain! I could imagine a line following the ridge line to the N/NE (would be to the right if you are looking up the lifts) that would flow all the way back down and around back to probably the Big SnoBowl rock on N. 5th!

Keep up the great work and maybe next summer I'll bring my bike and rip it with you!!

Ride it like I hate it
    Aug 2014
    Well it's been about 3 years since the last post in this thread.
    I'm just curious how the mtb scene has developed at snowbowl?
    Still going? I've been looking for places to ride around Elko. Anyone still ride around here? I'd love to join you!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast