mtbr member
    Sep 2013

New LV rider checking in

Hi everyone. New guy here and just picked up my first real MTB a few weeks ago at pro cyclery. Look forward to getting better and exploring more trails. I have a 27.5er and was wondering what type of tire and what do you do to decrease the chance of punctures out here on these rocky unforgiving trails? I've gotten a couple flats already and believe I know why. My tire pressure is at 38 or so and after reading a bit discovered that I may have caused the flats myself :0 anyhow. Looking forward to learning and growing in this community. Also, are there any decent trails in NW? It seems they are mostly in south vegas...

mtbr member
    Welcome! Most the trails in Vegas are along the mountains to the West of the valley, so not far from you. The closest trails to you are probably Twilight at Mt Charleston and Cowboy, out by Red Rock. BBT and Cottonwood really aren't that far though. As for punctures, most people run tubeless around here. I run tubes but I keep my tires at 50-55 psi. They are rocks! Knock on wood, but I have never had a flat on the trail in the last 10 months.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorider228 View Post
    Welcome! Most the trails in Vegas are along the mountains to the West of the valley, so not far from you. The closest trails to you are probably Twilight at Mt Charleston and Cowboy, out by Red Rock. BBT and Cottonwood really aren't that far though. As for punctures, most people run tubeless around here. I run tubes but I keep my tires at 50-55 psi. They are rocks! Knock on wood, but I have never had a flat on the trail in the last 10 months.
    Sweet! Definitely plan on checking those out sometime. Yea, I'm scared to run 50+ because of the harsh ride, but it's lookin like I'm gonna go that route for now. Tubeless scares me lol. Is there a certain tire that is best for the terrain out here? I ride a lot behind the house here in providence as there are tons of trails and they are so rocky.

mtbr member
    I asked the tire question on here a few weeks ago as I was in the market for some new rubber. I went with Schwalbe Hans Dampf's. I love them and haven't had any issues with them. It seems like a lot of people in the desert that I read about online are running Continental Trail King's as well. I guess it's just trial and error about what works for you. Sucks though when tires cost as much as they do. What are you riding? I don't mind the tire pressure with full suspension. What trails are you riding? I'm up near you.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Yea I've seen the shwalbes and have heard great things. Got a giant talon 27.5. I live at the very edge of grand Teton. They're very unorthodox trails but I like exploring and have been all over back there. It's a great time