mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Nevada / Desert Tires

I know there are a few threads specific to tire selection but I feel like tire selection is extremely specific to region. Does anyone have any favorites for the sandy/rocky conditions that we ride in?

I have always stuck with either the panaracer smoke/dart combo or the wtb velociraptors but the tread pattern is getting very dated on those tires. I have been considering the Continental Trail King but I would appreciate any suggestions from fellow Nevadans.

\m/ \m/
    For a front tire I like one with good size side knobs like the X-King or Captain and for a rear tire I like a fast roller like the Race King or Small Box 8. Also side wall protection is a must.
    13' Lynskey M290
    13' Venge Pro Force
    13' Crux Elite
    12' Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I was looking at the X-King. I noticed that your EPIC is a 29'er. I am riding a 26 right now although that probably wouldn't have any bearing on tire selection except maybe availability.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I run the racing ralph or Rapid Rob (same tire, just the rob is heavier and meatier) in the front and the SB8 in the back.

mtbr member

Re: Nevada / Desert Tires

I LOVE a Hans Dampf in front.
    Nobby Nics in back have been good,wear too fast for cost.
    Fat Albert in back now. Its lasted better great grip.870g not light but i ride a 6" bike. I prefer rocks and chunk over buff trails.
    Are you tubeless? If not that would be a place to start cuz everything in the desert bites, rocks,plants,weather all of it.
    When I pick it's 1.grip 2.puncture protection 3.cost 4.weight
    Pick 2

Viva la Vida!
    Hans Dampf 2.35 in the front and Smoprgasboard 2.25 in the rear both set up tubless.
    I have had no luck with the Continental tires on my 29er The sidewalls get sliced in the first 2 to 4 rides big disappointment and waste of Money.
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing

Big B's Trails
    Another vote for hans dampf(2.4)on the front, speci captain(2.2) on the back , I buy ust tires for the extra layer of rubber(protection).
    I dig dirt!

Short-Change-Hero
    For summer/dry weather without much slop I LOVE the GEAX Gato (f) and GEAX Saguaro (r) combo. I have been on a lot of different trails in northern NV with that combo and the only place I have slipped is when I am introducing the Sag to wet/slippery conditions (like wet rocks or roots, other than that the combo adds great cornering traction and I have been very surprised at what the Sag will bite into and claw its way up where other tires have slipped. My winter/spring setup is Gato (f) and Spec Purg Control 2.2 (r) and that combo has served me well but the Purg seems to loose traction on loose over hard for some reason (could be running it too high of pressure though).

Do note, the Gato LOVES super low pressures, tubed or tubeless, I am talking mid-teens when tubeless.
    On-One Inbred 29er (Purple People Eater)
    Kona Jake
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

washed-up moto guy
    I'm interested in knowing more of your thoughts as well. I have used the stock nevegals for a while on my Giant Reign, and I cannot wait to get off of them. Due to the terribly weak sidewalls, awkward tread spacing, and poorly designed side knobs, you never know when they are going to break loose. The complete opposite of confidence inspiring.

Seeing as how my bike is more of a Enduro/AM rig, I am looking at some gnarlier tires, and going to go with Maxxis (and tubeless as well). Considering a 2.35 Minion DHF up front, and a 2.3 High Roller II in the rear.

Has anybody used either of these tires or this combo?

The Hutch
    I run fast track controls in rear Racing Ralph in front, or I'll run Racing Ralph front and back or Fast Track front and back..
    Also like the Hutchinson Piranha, The Specialized captains, and the Geax saguaro.
    follow me on twitter
    @RobertEHutch
    or my Blog
    http://rob-hutchinson.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnum357 View Post
    I'm interested in knowing more of your thoughts as well. I have used the stock nevegals for a while on my Giant Reign, and I cannot wait to get off of them. Due to the terribly weak sidewalls, awkward tread spacing, and poorly designed side knobs, you never know when they are going to break loose. The complete opposite of confidence inspiring.

Seeing as how my bike is more of a Enduro/AM rig, I am looking at some gnarlier tires, and going to go with Maxxis (and tubeless as well). Considering a 2.35 Minion DHF up front, and a 2.3 High Roller II in the rear.

Has anybody used either of these tires or this combo?
    I have used this combo except i was on the 2.5 and 2.4 exo casings. Love the minion DHF. the high roller 2 was good but felt heavy nd sluggish. I preferred going DHF front and rear. Also maxxiss just came out with a minion DHR 2 which looks good. Id recommend the 2.5 in exo. The single ply maxxiss tires are really thin for our rocky trails and the 2.5 is more like a 2.3.

I just put on schwalbe hans dampf 2.35s on front and rear. great tire. in hard corners it doesnt have that knofe bite griop of the minion, but overall i think it grips the desert better. it is also more predictable and has better sidewalls. I think the minion would be a better tread pattern for riding the charleston trails but the hans dampf better for everything else around here (vegas)

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Try Maxxis Ardent 2.4 front, Advantage 2.25 rear. Pretty good volume, good traction and decent rolling resistance. I ran these for almost 2 years with no problems, and wears like a champ. I am now using Nobby Nic 2.4 front and Racing Ralph 2.25 rear (way lighter, more expensive)

oracle
    Sep 2009
    I have not tried most of the tires mentioned but sounds like they are all great combos... I think in most cases, choosing the right tire combo will depend on your riding style, trail your riding and budget.

Tires are expensive but the only way to really find the right tire that matches your style of riding is to buy and ride it yourself. If it does not work for you, sell it... sort of like a "trial and error". I use Maxxis Ardent in front and a WTB Weirwolf at the back and this combo works for me.

I think we should have a tire swap thingy here but not sure how that will play out.
    you don't have to be great to get started... you have to get started to be GREAT!

mtbr member
    I ride on whatever brand tires my friends say are worn out and give to me to ride on.
    Keep The Rubber Side Down