mtbr member
    Aug 2014

Mt. Charleston rides.

So im looking to go for a ride tomorrow morning/afternoon, just not sure which trail. Ive been on Bristlecone and thought about possibly doing 2 laps on it tomorrow. Ive been on the mid Kyle Canyon starting at Robbers Roost nd I thiught I was on Tin Can. Looking for something fun, preferably a loop or out and back. RR was fun, but that climb back up sucked. Any recommendations?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I recommend you learn to appreciate the desert riding. In the coming months this area becomes surreal as the temps drop and the winds die. I grew up in northern Utah and didn't learn to appreciate the desert for a few years. Now I love riding here.

I ran across a large desert tortoise this morning on my ride. Probably the biggest one I have ever seen but I was rushing home as my kids were flying in and I had to pick them up...so no pics.

Go ride Kibbles n Bits over by the Cowboy Trails. That's something to be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    I rode the Cowboy Trails when I first got here mistaking it for Blue Diamond. I was new to the area and got confused by what the map was telling me that I had. I started off there from the main parking lot and went right, wound up and around. Got lost at one point and re rode a section, ended up by the quarry on something Im not real sure if it was a trail or not and then ended up on top of the platue...which was an awesome view. The problem was the ride back down the canyon on that trail with big lose rocks and steps that for my skill level, was to much to ride. Add in heat and my camelback going dry....I didnt have a pleasant experience.

I wouldnt mind try it again if I had a map and a better idea of where I was going, same with Cottonwood. I dont HATE the desert trails, but I prefer the downhill of the mountain winding through the trees. I ended up going out on the rode bike today. Went from Broken Spoke (Which is a really nice store btw) down to Red Rock Canyon, rode the loop, and came back. 24.43 miles and a TON of uphill. My legs are smoked. Prob be looking for another ride in a few days on my next day off.

*edit* Yup, after looking this trail up and seeing some pictures this is the trail I already rode. I was looking at doing the K&B out, part of 2nd finger and Cat In The Hat loop but thats when I got lost. I need to see if thats on my Garmin still and bring up where all I went.

Found it! Started on the left side, rode south. Where the first fork is I went back north, looped around and re road the top part of that loop before heading over to the other side.
    Mt. Charleston rides.-cowboy-trail.jpg

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Ouch, getting lost at Cowboy couldn't have been fun. Looks like you went down Bob Gnarly, which is...uh, challenging.

As far as higher elevation goes, if you don't mind paying the price with a 2200ish ft climb right off the bat, the run down Tin Can to Showgirl is pretty good. It's around 14.4 miles total.

You start by going under the last bridge before the Resort on Kyle Canyon Rd (157) (usually from the East side), looks like it's 15.3 miles from I95, it's one of those "can't miss it" things. Expect to push up a few sections...but it's a fun downhill, fast if you want it, not too challenging (not to say that it's easy) if you're just cruising.

Strava Segment | SNMBA's 'Show Girl'!

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    So thats just an out and back? Looks fun and a lot like a trail I Colorado's front range called Mt. Falcon. Climbs about 1500ft in 3 miles. If I started at Robbers Roost could I connect into it?

Professional Slacker
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kutch98 View Post
    So thats just an out and back? Looks fun and a lot like a trail I Colorado's front range called Mt. Falcon. Climbs about 1500ft in 3 miles. If I started at Robbers Roost could I connect into it?
    There's a turnoff to the left from Tin Can marked by a little red flag, at least it was two weeks ago. The main trail goes straight and the connector to Showgirl turns left across the road/wash.

mtbr member
    Where are you guys parking near the Showgirl trail head if you're riding it as an out and back? I went up there this morning and there were "No Entry" signs posted. I parked on the side of Kyle Canyon rd., but I didn't like having my truck sitting there for fear of getting ticketed or something. I ended up cutting my ride real short due to that. As for what I did ride, it seemed awesome!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have been parking on the dirt shoulder close to the underpass. I try to give some space if there is construction going on but I have not had any issues with tickets or anything. However, there are those signs you mentioned at the entrance to the old parking lot. This lot is still closed due to the fire zone. You will get a ticket if you get caught parking in there.

mtbr member
    Thanks bcall, guess I will be parking on the shoulder for now on.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I ended riding Showgirl this morning. I only made it 4 miles up from Kyle Canyon rd. due to the trail being pretty wet towards the top. I didn't want to destroy the trail. Absolutely awesome ride though. Definitely a must ride for anyone looking for a fun trail.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

mtbr member

Big B's Trails
    You guys coukd park at Harris Springs then just ride the dirt road to the TH....or do what we do which is park at twilight and ride the st on the ridge to connect to showgirl.
    I dig dirt!

:\ ping of death
    Summerlin South?
    What the hell is an aluminum falcon?