mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Moving to Vegas. Where to live & mtbing?

So looks like we may be moving to Vegas this summer due to some changes in our jobs. Obviously I am all pumped up about the biking. We are only going for 2-3 years it seems so we will be renting.

The big question is, are there any nicer neighborhoods from which you can just ride to a trail from your driveway? As I am reading the posts it seems everybody is driving to the trails. All I am looking forward to is to do my 2-3 times 30 mile xc ride a week for a workout, away from cars, in the nature. Then drive to a cool/scenic ride once or twice a month.

We really would like to rent a high rise condo near or on the strip. Ideally my wife needs to be close to the university and I need to be close to the airport. We would enjoy the life close to good dining and shows for a few years. The obvious problem with a high rise is the storage of the bike. I know if I will have to transport the bike to a trail every time, I would not be going 2-3 times a week.

Another thing is, are there any shops near trails, that are willing to store your bike for a fee. That would would be a great compromise.

Thanks for any ideas!

Viva la Vida!
    Quote Originally Posted by Huncowboy View Post
    So looks like we may be moving to Vegas this summer due to some changes in our jobs. Obviously I am all pumped up about the biking. We are only going for 2-3 years it seems so we will be renting.

The big question is, are there any nicer neighborhoods from which you can just ride to a trail from your driveway? As I am reading the posts it seems everybody is driving to the trails. All I am looking forward to is to do my 2-3 times 30 mile xc ride a week for a workout, away from cars, in the nature. Then drive to a cool/scenic ride once or twice a month.

We really would like to rent a high rise condo near or on the strip. Ideally my wife needs to be close to the university and I need to be close to the airport. We would enjoy the life close to good dining and shows for a few years. The obvious problem with a high rise is the storage of the bike. I know if I will have to transport the bike to a trail every time, I would not be going 2-3 times a week.

Another thing is, are there any shops near trails, that are willing to store your bike for a fee. That would would be a great compromise.

Thanks for any ideas!
    I really wish that all that you ask for was possible..
    You guys are going to have to compromise, so set your prioritiesfirst
    a).-Mountain Bike!
    b).-Work and Vegas Life Style
    Unfortunately is hard to have both.

Once you decide on that you have several choices eitherway.
    There are some neighborhoods where you can just ride fromyour house but you will have to get creative to get a 30 mile XC ride.

There are some really nice places for rent close or righton the strip (Las Vegas Country Club, Sky Las Vegas, just to name a couple)that will put you 5 minutes away from UNLV & the airport but 20 30 minutesfrom the trails but you will be right in the middle of the action in VegasBaby!

I am not sure but you might be able to work something outwith Chris at Mcghies bike Outpost as far as storing your bikes at the shop.

Decide what you want the more and I can give you more suggestions.

We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing

mtbr member
    i would try places in henderson, you're 15-20 min from bootleg, relatively close to unlv & the airport.

stay away from places on the strip if you want to be close to riding. gotta live on the outskirts if you want that.

Big B's Trails
    Hmmmm..... Have your cake and eat it too.
    Won't be high rise buuuuut you could get a condo on w tropicana. west of durango rd.
    then you would be minutes( under 15- bout 10min) from the strip, airport & UNLV. You could ride 1-2 miles west on trop. and be at one of the BBT THs( great trail system, if I do say so myself ) that would also give you access to the cottonwood trail system all by dirt.( this will easily get you 30+ mile xc rides)
    I dig dirt!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by digidelia View Post
    i would try places in henderson, you're 15-20 min from bootleg, relatively close to unlv & the airport.

stay away from places on the strip if you want to be close to riding. gotta live on the outskirts if you want that.
    The "strip" being the biggest part to stay away from. Way too much going on there. I agree with the Henderson idea.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks guys!

I am definitely not trying to have the cake and eat it too. More like, if there are no neighborhoods/suburb with direct access to a trail, than I will have to drive to one no matter what. I have no huge expectations when I say trail. A dirt road will do it. From above, it seems the whole city is surrounded with all kind of trails leading in/out from the hills. Probably just dried out creeks but they are all over. But that may not be for riding. I have no idea but I got my hopes up when I saw that and I figured I would ask around here.

Right now we live in Florida and it sucks. I am riding around a lake 4-5 times to get my workout. It is not even on dirt. So I would be happy with a very basic dirt road/trail/path whatever that goes into the nowhere, and has no car traffic. If I have to loop around it 2-3 times to get 30 miles, that is fine too. As long I can get there straight from my garage. But it should be in a nicer hood. Thinking of spending around $2-3k for rental per month but only need a 3 bed 2 bath. May be a pool. I saw a bunch for rent in that range. I just don't know what is a good area and what is not.

But if that is not an option than why even rent a house if I have to transport my ride anyways? If that makes any sense..

mtbr member

Check out the Anthem area

There are lots of homes for rent in my area, 4 bedroom 3 car garage....I can get to East Anthem trail in under 30 seconds....

Lifer
    With that rental budget, try finding an owner that wants to rent their condo at 'C2 Lofts' in Summerlin. It's a mid-rise built in '07. This way your backyard is Red Rock (also the Bear's Best trail is 4 miles South).You can easily get to UNLV via Desert Inn in about 20 minutes.
    I do quite a bit of work in the 'Panorama Towers' as well as 'The Martin' high-rise condo's (about 500 paces west of City Center). I frequently see two guys loading a couple of hard tail Moots. Usually the storage units are chain linked cages in a large secured room in the high-rise rather than in the parking garage. These three properties let you enjoy the view without being in the heart of it all.
    If you need help finding something, PM me and I'll forward the name of a customer who specializes in high-rise property management and real estate.
    Last edited by lvmtb; 04-09-2012 at 04:16 PM.

\m/ \m/
    For XC riding being close to Blue Diamond is the best idea.

I moved here from Texas in November of 2009. I first rented a place at Viviani apartments off of West Russell Rd because I want to be close to work and Blue Diamond. From this area of town it is approx 10-15 from the airport & strip and about the same to Blue Diamond. Also there are alot of home for rent in the area for what you'd pay for rent in an apartment.

I now live just down the street now in a home I bought; I feel this is the best side of town to live in.
    13' Lynskey M290
    13' Venge Pro Force
    13' Crux Elite
    12' Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Viva la Vida!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade-Runner View Post
    I feel this is the best side of town to live in.
    Most definetly!
    But then again if you really want to experience "LAS VEGAS" go live in the strip and be like a tourist with entertainment 24/7 at your door step.
    There are trails and mountains all over the world but there is only ONE Vegas Blvd. and you can always drive to the trails.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I live in Mission hills in Henderson, Its a 15min bike ride to bootleg canyon and or a 5 min drvie. The paved riding walking trail is literally right behind my house. There are places right next to trails but not close to the strip. I am about 10mins from boulder city and 20 to 25mins from mccarran.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I live on w. Tropicana and second that one. The Cottonwood trail system will provide you with the most mileage/variety option without a doubt.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks for the ideas. Keep it coming if you have more. That Blue Diamond trail looks great for a workout and the southwest side of town looks like a reasonable drive. How is traffic going downtown?

I was already looking at the Henderson area before, and there are a bunch of nice houses for rent there, but that seems to be more driving than what we want.

\m/ \m/
    Search for homes to rent in zip code 89148
    13' Lynskey M290
    13' Venge Pro Force
    13' Crux Elite
    12' Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Big B's Trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Blade-Runner View Post
    Search for homes to rent in zip code 89148
    Agreed, except I would go 89147. That way you have access to trails without driving and in the summer you just jump on the 215 and your at Kyle Cyn in 15 min as well.
    It really is the closest to the strip, airport and unlv while still being able to ride to a trail system. no real hi-rise condos though.... they were planned and started but never got in the air. C2 lofts as mentioned above is the closest to that or the condos on badlands gc....
    I dig dirt!

Lone Wolf McQuade
    I dunno how the mtb'ing is there, but have you checked out this zip code....

Moving to Vegas. Where to live & mtbing?-bh90210_s1_dvd_front.jpg
    I should be out riding....

Viva la Vida!
    Quote Originally Posted by beagledadi View Post
    I dunno how the mtb'ing is there, but have you checked out this zip code....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BH90210_S1_DVD_Front.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	194.0 KB 
ID:	688395
    Yikes!

mtbr member
    I too am moving to Vegas in the near future.. Long story short, I bought a home in the Northwest corner of the city. (I couldn't pass up the house deal...)

Am I screwed when it comes to nearby mountain biking trails?

The other biggie... I'm pretty addicted to my Single Speed (SS) mountain bike. Where I live now, the terrain is relatively flat.. hills tend to be < 200ft in elevation or so. Will Vegas allow me to pursue my SS addiction? If not, is there at least an active chapter of the SSA (single speed anonymous?)

Any SS folks out there?

--zip

Big B's Trails
    Quote Originally Posted by zipzit View Post
    I too am moving to Vegas in the near future.. Long story short, I bought a home in the Northwest corner of the city. (I couldn't pass up the house deal...)

The other biggie... I'm pretty addicted to my Single Speed (SS) mountain bike. Where I live now, the terrain is relatively flat.. hills tend to be < 200ft in elevation or so.

Any SS folks out there?

--zip
    You'll love it all summer long (twilight, Kyle cyn)
    And the drive to cottonwood won't be that bad
    I dig dirt!

Viva la Vida!
    Quote Originally Posted by zipzit View Post

Here in Las Vegas you are never screwed when it comes to driving to the MTB trails no matter where in the valley do you live.
    Cottonwood is good for almost all kind of riding including a SS one.

Really once you live here you are only screwed if you gamble ;-)

Young, Shawn Young
    Stay close to the 215 and you can get anywhere fast. Trail systems are popping up all over the valley, you wont be wanting for trails to ride. I bought my house so I would be close to BD trails.
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hey bro! Your post reminded me of law school ... moving out here for 2-3 years ... I digress, but I second Cottonwood/Blue Diamond Trails. I've ridden these trails ever since I've started biking and it's miles and miles of single track classic desert riding conditions. If you live around the southwest-- buffalo and 215 area has a lot of nice apartments, you could do a 10 mile ride to Cottonwood or the 7 miles to Blue Diamond (somebody correct me, I'm just guesstimating but I've seen several people on their full-sus doing the ride there from my apartment). Best of luck!