mtbr member

moving to Reno!!

Hello Nevada!!
    i've just learned that i will be starting a new job in Reno this summer. i'm really looking forward to leaving the flatlands for the mountains. i'll probably be out there next month looking for a place to live and though i'd check in here for some advice.

i'll be working at UNR campus and would really love a painless commute. i'd say "less than 5 miles" but it seems that would cover most of the town. i'll mostly commute by motorcycle, but i like to have the bicycle option, so a place with safe roadie routes would be nice. even better if i can ride 20 to 30-mile roadie loops from my door. best would be a fairly safe and short pedal from my door to a mtn bike trail, as i'll hit the trail more often if i don't have to drive.

i've checked out the excellent Reno thread and it looks like Peavine and Pah Rah would be the best bet. Hidden Valley, being on the wrong side of the airport, looks like a potential commuter headache; please correct me if i'm wrong.

so basically, if you worked at UNR and could airdrop to anyplace in town, where would you want to land?

thanks!
    In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    In my opinion, the best 'hood in Reno is the Old Southwest - more or less bounded by Arlington, California, Plumb. Tons of older, well maintained homes with character, close to downtown and an easy shot to riding. Also, check out the neighborhood west of Reno HS (between Mayberry and the river) or the area around Keystone and lower Kings Row. All of these are short commutes to UNR with good access to mtn biking on Peavine and road riding.

Avoid the Mt Rose Hwy and the Northwest up on the hill (the wind is terrible) as well as Double Diamond, Damonte Ranch, most of Sparks and Hidden Valley - not necessarily terrible places, you'll just be isolated from everything else.....

BTW, Welcome!

Bro
    Where I do my thinking
    Welcome! I live just a couple blocks from the Knowledge Center, so it's a tough commute every day -- I go to school at UNR.

That's pretty much all I've got in terms of living. A lot of my teammates live around Kings Row and near Rancho and those neighborhoods seem nice, if you're up for living with a bunch of students around your neighborhood.

If you don't mind, what kinda work are you going to be doing at campus?
    I've made some bad decisions like taking the gears off my bike. So here's the warning: Do not as I say, nor as I do.

weirdo
    If you`re going to be working at the university, I agree that Hidden Valley would be a long commute, but still doable. I guess the people who live there know the best ways to get around being "stuck" behind the airport. Sun Valley and the Spanish Springs/Wingfield Springs areas are also somewhat landlocked in that there are a lot of cars trying to get to and from the rest of the Truckee Meadows over a very limited set of roads. I have no complaints against the upper parts of NW Reno, having grown up there.

Road riding in and directly around Reno is so-so, better when you start getting further out. Since there are very few paved routes out of town, a 20 to 30 mile road ride means either out and back, drive and ride combo, or in town ride. A local "favorite" that invariably gets mentioned is some form of a Verdi ride. That`s mostly an in town ride, and you can find specific route options by googling (pedalers.org probably lists it). Verdi is as far as you can ride to the west without getting on the interstate, and I don`t have the balls to ride that stretch. Some of the streets in the SW are really nice for in town riding also (any loop based on Lakeside Dr will be enjoyable, and the further south you go, the less traffic you`ll have). Now that there`s a freeway connection from Reno to Carson, 395 south of town is pretty nice, too. The road to Virginia City is good EXCEPT during high commute times. That`s east from the south end of town. East on I-80 is actually reasonable, though not really what I`d call a nice ride. It can get you to Fernley though, so opens up possibility for looping down to Carson or up to Pyramid Lake. Three routes take you north from Reno. Pyramid Highway has a bad rep, but it`s like Gieger Grade to VC in that it isn`t too bad as long as you avoid high commute times. 395 North is not exciting, but plenty safe, with a huge shoulder. Redrock Road is one of my personal favorites, but it doesn`t get you very far- it ties back into 395 16 miles north of the sate line. Since I live in the North Valleys area, the Redrock/395 loop is my most frequent pleasure ride. If you do a drive and ride thing, the possibilities are unlimited for awesome road riding in the summer and fall, not too bad the rest of the year.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Welcome neighbor; lots of good advice here so take a few notes and try them out. The entire community has slowly become more bike friendly with lanes etc. The key is where there's a will there's a way even if in the N valleys(which i am)

weirdo
    I thought this sounded familiar, but a search last night didn`t give me anything. Now I see a link on that new "similar threads" box at the bottom of the page, which is probably the thread I was thinking of:
    Moving to Reno
    Except I thought there was more discussion of neighborhoods and different parts of town.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    thanks for the feedback in this thread, as well as the two linked threads; i have read every post. i completed some area recon today and yesterday.

initially, i had it in my head that living near Peavine was the best bet for easy trail access and a short commute. also, i was looking for a place to rent with a garage (for my motorcycle), so i was looking for a townhouse/condo. most of those i found are in Sparks or Northeast Reno. there were some pretty nice ones in NE and access to Peavine couldn't be better. i tooled around and liked that King's Row area as well, though it's all single-family homes there.

anyway, after driving around, it really does seem like it can be a short commute from just about any place. also, it would be nice to get closer to the trails at Galena and the slopes of Mt Rose. so i decided to meander around Old Southwest and now i can understand why you guys feel good about the area. again, no condo-type places, but there were a few houses for rent and for sale. now i have to reconsider my plan. after talking to a few agents, it sounds like rentals don't stay on the market very long, which makes it good place to be a landlord. i'm considering buying a house and renting it out if i have to leave the area. that would really be ideal. i guess this is something i'll have to wrestle with for a couple of weeks ....

anyway, thank you all for the input. i'll be moving in about six weeks and i'm really looking forward to the change in scenery. i'm gonna drive to Mt Rose this evening for no particular reason, then continue to Incline Village for dinner. i need eyes on Tahoe before i head back to TN tomorrow.

cheers!
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

mtbr member
    Glad you cruzed the neighborhoods and enjoyed yourself. Did you make it to N sun valley?? many homes in the highland ranch area for sale.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Hi, welcome to the Reno area. I have a rental unit in south Reno, if your interested.

Contact me at: gktele (at) yahoo (dot) com

Gary
    Tahoe29er

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rushman3 View Post
    Hi, welcome to the Reno area. I have a rental unit in south Reno, if your interested.

Gary
    try PM for such stuff.

Short-Change-Hero
    If you find yourself here again before you move and you head to incline, one of my favorite spots for an after workout (run, ride, paddleboard, whatever) is a little place called T's. It is right next to the theater in Incline across from the BofA. Their burritos and carne asade ALWAYS hit the spot after a long day on the bike with a good beer to accompany the meal!
    On-One Inbred 29er (Purple People Eater)
    Kona Jake
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

Ugly As F*ck
    Just found out I might be moving to Reno as well (will either be Reno or Sacramento) due to a job transfer. I didn't want to start another "moving to Reno" thread, and I don't want to hijack this one entirely, but I had some questions as well.

One, are there places to live where I'd literally be riding distance (say 2-3 miles or less) to any trail heads or would I be driving to the trails no matter what side of Reno I might be living on?

And two, all I've heard about Reno so far is the wind. Does it ever pose a problem while mountain biking in the foothills or farther up the mountain? Almost seems like that could become a danger if you happened to be on a narrow bit of trail with some exposure and a strong gust came from out of nowhere.

weirdo
    Hi, Ugly. Sure, from most of the valley you`ll be within 3 miles of SOME trail. If you look at Google maps, you can see that the Peavine we keep mentioning is about 2/3 surrounded by Reno and its outskirts, lots of trailheads. The rest of our "metro area" is surrounded by other mountains: Pah Rah Range to the NE, Virginia Range to the E/SE, and Carson Range to the west/SW. They don`t have as many trails as Peavine, but there`s riding up in all of them.

If you end up in Sac, you`ll most likely have several miles to get to dirt. They also have a lot more heat and humidity to deal with in the summer. The flip side is that dry dirt and warm temps will be a lot closer to you in the winter compared to Reno/Sparks. Auburn or Colfax (I-80, bout 40 miles this side of Sac) would be like Heaven

Yeah, wind is a problem. Especially in the summer- summer afternoons are invariably windy. You can hide from it a little bit by riding the canyons, but to completely avoid it you need to ride early. That`s a good idea anyway because there`s very little shade on any of the common riding areas except the ones off the bottom of the Mt Rose Highway (probably called SR 341 on Google Maps). Now that I think about it, most of those trails are very sheltered from the wind too except where they cross over from one drainage to another.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    back in town again, meeting with an agent tomorrow. i don't know what's going on in Reno, but this market is something else. houses aren't available for ten minutes before there's an offer!

anyway, what do you guys think about Sparks? is there ay redeeming value to living out that way? if i read this right, it looks like there is trail access for Pah Rah from Los Altos? not sure i'd be able to get there pedaling, suburbs can be dicey. asking because a high percentage if what's available is always in Sparks and the commute doesn't look too bad.
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

weirdo
    Sparks in general is fine- unless you`re talking about this neighboorhood or that one, it`s pretty hard to say Sparks is significantly different from Reno. Anything off Los Altos is going to be in one of those "landlocked" areas, probably frustrating to get in and out of during high commute times. Frustrating by my standards anyway, but I`m pretty spoiled with my short rural commute. If you`re comming from long and hectic commutes already, maybe you`ll just laugh at what I consider bad congestion. The bright side of Spanish Springs/Wingfield Springs (Los Altos) is that nearly everything out there is less than 20 years old and even the "low end" areas are well kept up. Good luck with your purchase- you sound excited about the move, and I hope something works out for you.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I know you want a short commute, but I live in south Reno and its nice down here.I am off Toll road in the Virginia Hills area. 20 minutes to UNR, 15 mins to Mt Rose, 10 mins to Mt Bike at Whites/Thomas Creek and 30 min to lake Tahoe.

Explore around, don't get caught up in the very recent buying boom.

Good luck
    Tahoe29er

Short-Change-Hero
    Yeah the area is starting to boom for the housing market so houses are going quickly. Really it just depends on where you are looking and what your price range is. I know you want something close to Reno but don't cancel out Carson City. We are literally a 20 minute drive from south Reno from just about anywhere in Carson. Think when I have softball on Wednesday's up at Rancho it takes me about 40 minutes from my house (middle of Carson) to Rancho (up above the university at Peavine trails).
    On-One Inbred 29er (Purple People Eater)
    Kona Jake
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

washed-up moto guy
    Quote Originally Posted by kevrider View Post
    what do you guys think about Sparks? is there ay redeeming value to living out that way?
    We bought out in Sparks (Wingfield Springs area [by Red Hawk Golf Course]) and we love it. Commute to South Reno at peak traffic is 30 minutes, we have Costco, WalMart, Home Depot, Best Buy, etc., and great restaurants all within 5 minutes, so we really never need to go to Reno for average things.

Regarding trail access, the Pah-Rah trail network is a 3.5 mile ride on a bikepath from our place and can be accessed from Golden Eagle Regional Park in addition to Los Altos. Keystone/Peavine is a 15 minute drive, Hidden Valley is 20 minutes, and Galena is 30 minutes.

We love it out here. Nice neighborhoods with parks and trails, away from the rush of Reno, but close enough to get there in 15 minutes if you absolutely have to.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnum357 View Post
    We bought out in Sparks (Wingfield Springs area [by Red Hawk Golf Course]) and we love it...

...we have Costco, WalMart, Home Depot, Best Buy, etc., and great restaurants all within 5 minutes, so we really never need to go to Reno for average things.
    In all fairness, I should have mentioned that.

Should also say that the county and state are working on a freeway connection to the area, but it`s going to take a long time if it ever happens. Aside from construction costs, eminent domain battles will be brutal.

Mag, have you heard anything recently about the giant development that somebody wanted to build way out Winnemucca Ranch Road, or did that whole idea fizzle when the bottom fell out of the financial world?
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnum357 View Post
    We bought out in Sparks (Wingfield Springs area [by Red Hawk Golf Course]) and we love it. Commute to South Reno at peak traffic is 30 minutes, we have Costco, WalMart, Home Depot, Best Buy, etc., and great restaurants all within 5 minutes, so we really never need to go to Reno for average things.

Regarding trail access, the Pah-Rah trail network is a 3.5 mile ride on a bikepath from our place and can be accessed from Golden Eagle Regional Park in addition to Los Altos. Keystone/Peavine is a 15 minute drive, Hidden Valley is 20 minutes, and Galena is 30 minutes.

We love it out here. Nice neighborhoods with parks and trails, away from the rush of Reno, but close enough to get there in 15 minutes if you absolutely have to.
    Being in N sun valley lends access to all sorts of riding and as Mag mentions 15min to most locations around Reno. The housing boom will be and has been a slow recovery process but it has started so get in now.

washed-up moto guy
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Mag, have you heard anything recently about the giant development that somebody wanted to build way out Winnemucca Ranch Road, or did that whole idea fizzle when the bottom fell out of the financial world?
    From what I know, it fizzled long ago.

mtbr member
    well, the dust has settled and i'm all set for the move next month. i have a deal put together for a condo in Sparks. the seller had a deal pending on a short sale, so it will be a while before that's all settled. in the meantime, i will be renting in Old SW, sharing a house.

gotta thank all of you guys for the help, it was helpful to have some guidance for the airdrop into Reno. props to gregnash for hooking me up with a real estate agent, she took good care of me. looking forward to riding with you sometime. just remember, i'm a flatlander!

now, to get back to TN and cram in some training, lest i fold on the first climb....
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

weirdo
    Glad to hear it! When do you move? The weather lately has been outstanding, soon to get hot. I hate to complain, but I`m going nuts because three weekends in a row worth of nearly perfect riding weather have been spent in non-riding family and community stuff... sigh. Well, there`s always October

Totally OT, but... Tennessee is flat? I thought it was all up and down.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    moving next month. yes, great weather now, though quite windy! it gets pretty hot down south too, at least my sweat will evaporate.

eastern TN is all up-and-downy, Appalachian country with lots of great trails to ride. western TN is Miss river flood plain, which not quite Florida flat, but one of my favorite roadie climbs is a bridge.
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted