Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Moving to Reno

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Moving to Reno

I'm going to be moving to Reno in August and would like to find a place with close proximity to UNR but even closer to a trail system (5-10 minutes riding time away). Right now I'm thinking the area northwest of McCarron and Virginia St is my best bet because of the Peavine trails. Any advice would be appreciated.

mtbr member
    Give us some demographic info. How old are you? Are you a student? Are you a proffesional? Do yuo want to live in a quiet, suburban neighborhood? Are you renting or buying? House or Apt?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    36 yrs old starting medical school so a quiet neighborhood would be great. Looking to rent a 1 or 2 bedroom house but would do an apartment in the right situation. The big issue aside from trail access will be space for 5 to 7 bikes.

weirdo
    Anywhere close to the university will be close to Peavine. That makes things simple, don`t it?
    I`m not sure exactly whether you`re looking for areas or for specific houses/apartments, but there are some NW of the Virginia/McCarran intersection. If you don`t find anything available up there, I`d say try looking in the "Old NW" area, directly west of the university. That would put you a little farther from the TH (still not very far), but still close to the university, and a lot of rental houses, mostly catering to students. Just my opinion, but if you`re going to be attending calsses rregularly, I`d try even harder to be within walking distance of the campus than to be X minutes ride from the trails. Even if you can`t spare the extra few minutes each way to ride to the trails, it`s a lot easier to park at a trailhead than at the university.

mtbr member
    Close to UNR and riding would be the Pevine Trail. I would suggest a house off of Keystone. Not really the best area, but also not the worst, and it should have pleny of rentals with garages to keep your bikes safely stored. Also, rent should be resonalbe for a student around there.

Kings Row is a similar neighborhood, but is a little father from both UNR and Pevine.

Stay away from the apts on N. Virgina around the Talus and Moraine area. My friends have had bad luck up there in the past.

mtbr member
    The top of Keystone is actually the trailhead to the Pevine Trail (one of them)

Look for the water tank on Leadership
    West 7th Street, Reno, NV - Google Maps

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    it`s a lot easier to park at a trailhead than at the university.
    truth

Moose Member
    Are you a dirt jumper? You are about 5-10 mins from two dirt jump locations. I drive by UNR when I'm driving from one place to another.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Thanks guys. I'm more trying to get a feel for different areas at this point. Probably will start looking seriously for housing in June.

Walking distance would be great as well but I also primarily bike commute. Parking seems to be an issue at any major university.

Not a dirt jumper. Mostly do long XC rides.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by seidemiller View Post
    Walking distance would be great as well but I also primarily bike commute. Parking seems to be an issue at any major university.
    Awesome, me too. Looks like you`re comming from Boise? We`re pretty similar as far as weather goes, so you should be pretty well adapted. Actually, I think our winters are usually a bit warmer than Boise`s. Since the Reno area is the only place I`ve regularly ridden, I can`t compare the urban riding very well, but I think it`s about average for "bike friendliness". Nowhere near as spread out as your valley (Treasure Valley, isn`t it?), and drivers are generally pretty patient with us, but very hilly around the edges, no canal paths, and only one MUP that really goes anywhere. Public transportation sucks when you get out of the central part, though I guess it covers well enough in town. It`s expenvie, in my opinion- $2.00 per ride the last I checked. I suggested walking over biking in order to avoid the bike parking and security hassles, but like you said, it won`t be any worse than any other university.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I live just off NW McCarran in the Las Brisas area. I have access all along Peavine for whatever riding I want to do. Just keep in mind that the trails are nearly un-rideable in the hot summer months unless the sun is down, and they are a mess when wet. There is no shade on the whole trail system. In the summer I find that it is better to shoot over to Truckee for mtbing.

Be careful on the trails. The closer it is to UNR the more likely it will be that you will kill someones dog off a leash.

I ride road bikes and commute frequently, so I think I can give some input on riding on streets. The closer you are to downtown the more dangerous it gets. There aren't many bikes lanes. You also have a transient work force that ride walmart bikes on the sidewalks and don't seem to follow the general bike rules. There is a large community of cyclists that do everything the way they are supposed to. There is a small contingent of the fixie crowd here as well. Make sure you have good locks and lights.

This is just my opinion, but housing seems to improve immensely once you are outside the McCarran circle and West of N. Virginia. The old NW area inside the circle was hard hit by the foreclosure crisis. If you are renting, go by the neighborhoods in the evening to see what it is like. There area above UNR on N. Virginia is kind of hit and miss. There are a ton of houses for rent, so I don't think it will be difficult to find a place pretty close to where you want. If you want to be close to UNR and the trails I would look for something close to Rancho San Rafael park, just be wary of what they neighborhood is like.

likes bicycles
    Just thought I'd stop in an say "Hey", as I'm moving to Reno soon, too. I start up at UNR in early June. I found a place near Keystone and Kings Row, which seems like it's a good distance from both UNR and Peavine. Is that a good hood? Are there any cool shops, bars etc in that area? I'm moving out from Albany, NY which has the nice, condensed east coast neighborhoods. Seems like my soon to be hood is much more suburban.

I'm really looking forward to getting out there and hitting some trails.

Short-Change-Hero
    That is a pretty decent area from what I remember. Pretty close to the University so there will be lost of students in the area. So you should be pretty good food and pub wise in that area.
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

weirdo
    Yeah, pretty decent area. I grew up not far from there, just a couple miles up W 7th from that intersection. Mellow would be a good description. Like you noted, within easy bike distance from the university, downtown, or the Peavine trailheads. There`s one (expensive) supermarket right there, box stores are going to be a short drive. There aren`t any bars at all in the immediate area, but you won`t have far to go to find one.

By "shops", do you mean bike shops? For some reason, they aren`t spaced very well around here. There are two (Bicycle Bananas and Peloton) a couple miles west of there, a whole mess of them way down south, one just south of downtown, and a new one just opened up in a little shopping center at Kietzke and N McCarran. Sparks hasn`t had any bike shops for about three years now.

I don`t know your home turf at all, but I`d guess you`re right about this being more suburban. Did you come out for a look around and find youself a house, or have you been doing it all remotely? Hope you like it- a lot of people from the east find the desert climate and dry surroundings kind of weird, but in town it doesn`t look or feel deserty.

likes bicycles
    Thanks for the info.

What's the story on Great Basin Bikes? Their trail info page is ridiculous! Makes me want to be a loyal customer already...

I did most of the searching remotely - turns out that's a huge pain in the rear. I'm pretty sure I'll love the area, though. I did a quick drive by through Reno a year ago and enjoyed the feel of Nevada. I also have a huge crush on arid landscapes, which stems from 6 months at the Grand Canyon Village.

Do you find yourselves biking up in the Sierra often? It seems really accessible on paper. Looking forward to some backpacking this summer, too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Another area to consider is the Old Southwest, generally bounded by S. Arlington, Plumb and California. I lived there for years and, while a little further away than the other areas mentioned, you're still close to campus and Peavine - 3ish miles. It's quiet and within walking distance to downtown.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by vitale232 View Post
    What's the story on Great Basin Bikes? Their trail info page is ridiculous! Makes me want to be a loyal customer already...

Do you find yourselves biking up in the Sierra often? It seems really accessible on paper. Looking forward to some backpacking this summer, too.
    Yeah, he`s got the best trail info I know of for this area. I pretty much stopped going to the shop several years ago when it moved from an area that I found myself in frequently to an area that was miles from anywhere else I need to go, but it`s a reputable bike shop. They handle road and mtb.

Yes! I ride a lot in the Sierra! The road riding up there is definitley accessible, though short season. Some restrictions on mtb, but it`s out there too. Here`s a great guide for not-so-local mtb riding, mainly in the Sierra:
    The Ogre’s Guide
    The author is a frequent poster in the NorCal subforum. Looks like he isn`t updating the blog any more, but his trail guides are gold.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I rode Peavine when I was short on time, early season and after work, if not, most of my rides were in Tahoe, Truckee or Downieville. In the winter, I'd go to Auburn for a little dirt fix. Another area in for trails is Galena/Whites Creek off Mt. Rose hwy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by vitale232 View Post

Yes. By mid-June most of my rides are up in the Sierras somewhere. Gets too hot (for me at least) during mid-day on a lot of the local rides in the valley. Thomas Creek, Whites Creek, etc. are still fine as they have some semblance of shade, and head up into the mountains. Good singeltrack on the east side of Tahoe which is easily accessible from Reno or Carson. Also good riding near Truckee, and Northstar if that's what you're into. Good riding near South Lake, but if you are in NW Reno, Sierra Buttes (D-Ville trailhead) is the same drive. Moral of that rant is there is a shitload of awesome mountain options in this area...Moved here 5 years ago from MN and love it. Being a mountain biker helps. Welcome.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Pretty excited about all of the different riding options you guys have. We've got a great trail system but the trails are pretty similar in terrain and style. It will be nice to have variety close by.

Boise is a big bike town with good bike lanes and lots of racks that are well used. Don't remember seeing any of that in Reno when I was there for my interviews but I didn't see a lot of the city. Was surprised at the lack of bikes in the racks at UNR though. Either way, I'll ether be walking or riding to UNR depending on where we find a place.

Is there a local cyclocross series?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Reno Wheelmen used to sponsor most of the local races, including CX.

Short-Change-Hero
    There is a small local CX series that is put on by the wheelmen but most of the stuff focuses on road or mtn. Check out their website The Reno Wheelmen for all the info. For some better CX action you will have to travel to CA as there is usually pretty good stuff in NorCal.

I suggest you find yourself a decent beater bike for commutes to campus. I remember when I went that there was one guy that had his bike stolen 3 times in a year. I know things have gotten better and it could have just been an off day but definitely look into a beater for commuting unless you plan on locking a lot of the bike up.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Crazy to see all all this Reno chatter! Reno truly is a gem of a MTBing city... Sounds like everyone has pointed you guys in the right direction. You're minutes away from awesome trails in a few different directions so don't stress too hard on living close to the trailhead...

Short-Change-Hero
    Only piece of advice shop wise that I have for you is STAY AWAY from Velo Reno. Absolutely horrible customer service there and when you think of super d-bag roadie snobs this is your place. My BIL moved into town about this time last year, he was given an old TREK Liquid by a friend and it needed a tune-up from sitting around. Since he lived near their shop he took it into them, $350 later they gave him back the bike with new shifter cable housing, a wash, some fork oil and that was about it. We went on a ride shortly thereafter to Emigrant and the bike shifted like absolute crap. It literally took me 4hrs to fix their mistakes. Best of all, when he walked in to their shop, they told us "oh we only work on HIGH END road bikes". Stay far away from that shop unless you have a lot of money to dump on a crap job or you feel the need to be around complete d-bags.

Great Basin, Sierra CycleSmith, and Sierra Cycling (by RcWilley) are all great shops that I have dealt with and have been super helpful.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

weirdo
    ^^Sorry your BIL had a bad experience there, but Velo Reno and Reno Bike Project (oposite extremes!) are the only places that haven`t pissed me off as far as service goes. One shop tried to ream my HT with a brake cylinder hone- the kind that looks like a sex toy. Two others had no reamers for standard 1 inch HTs and one of those had no BB chasers or facers. RBP did the bottom bracket for $20 and VR did my head tube- wasn`t expensive, though I don`t remember the price. That was a home brewed frame, so not exactly high end.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast