mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Mountain Lions on Twighlight

I was riding up at the twighlight trails today and I came across 2 guys on a rhino with some rifles and a dog. Apparently over the last couple of months there have been sightings of a mountain lion and a couple of cubs near the rocks behind the horse corral and spring. The water brings critters and that means food. The guys were hoping to shoot one, they said something about open season. Anyways, I thought I would get the word out for anyone that rides solo, like myself. Probably better to grab a buddy or becareful if your out alone near dark.

I sweep myself
    Back in January I saw a good size set of tracks in the mud along the edge of one of the dirt roads out at Cottonwood, seems like they're around everywhere.

I like to say that's why I don't night ride: my deal with the kitties is I don't ride when they're eatin', they don't eat while I'm ridin'.
    "In the past few years there has been building up within me an obsession that the only way to piece of mind is to go somewhere in the desert, far away from things, and just sit down." - Ernie Pyle

mtbr member
    So you won't be coming to our thursday nite rides?

Don't be first or last and you should be fine

Sent using BOTH my thumbs

Threadkiller
    Bad news for my riding crew, we're all old. It's probably a good time to add some young blood for cougar bait.
    Don't sell yourself short. You're a tremendous slouch.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    FWIW, dusk and dawn are the prime hunting times for mountain lions. They take advantage of the confusing light and shadows at those times. Still, riding in a group at night or during those times is safest.

mtbr member
    Well I think the first time I ride twilight I will have to go with someone else for mtn lion bait. I sweat too much so I dont think the kitty will like me.
    Keep The Rubber Side Down

I sweep myself
    Actually, I am interested in getting out at night at some point but would definitely have to be in a group. Going to be many months before I'm ready tho, had back surgery in January and still confined to the road.

I bet that statistically I'm safer taking my chances with the four legged critters with claws, rather than the two legged critters with driver's licenses...
    "In the past few years there has been building up within me an obsession that the only way to piece of mind is to go somewhere in the desert, far away from things, and just sit down." - Ernie Pyle