Explore More

Mojave Water Haulers

Had to put in an order to rebuild the drivetrain on my hardtail road ride, so I picked up a couple extra items and did this project for my bikepacking setup.

Using these and the mount on the bottom of the downtube, I should be able to get everything but my daypack and bladder off my back and on to the bike. I'll eventually do an expanded post on the BP forum or on bikepacking.net, but for now, I figure a few locals may be interested in the concept.

Tire tubes will work well for wrapping around the fork legs, but I have a big roll of clear vinyl to use that provides great grip too.

Cages vary, but these Profile Design ones work well. Can't really see it in the photos, but I drilled through the support spine on the hollow portion, just on and above the solid base.

Shouldn't need to, but I'll probably end up taking the Dremel to the base surface and work it a bit to fit the curve of the legs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mojave Water Haulers-mwh_001.jpg  

Mojave Water Haulers-mwh_002.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

Lone Wolf McQuade
    Nice

Getting the water off your back is pretty huge in my book.

Matt
    I should be out riding....

Big B's Trails
    I like the idea. What do you think about the security of the bottles? and handling in rough terrain? At speed?
    I dig dirt!

\m/ \m/
    13' Lynskey M290
    13' Venge Pro Force
    13' Crux Elite
    12' Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

Lone Wolf McQuade
    ....and if that's not enough water....

Mojave Water Haulers-28ui.jpg
    I should be out riding....

Explore More
    BD:
    Any weight off the back and onto the bike is a good thing. Even better when it can just be eliminated altogether!

Fred:
    Works fine, handles a little differently, but you'll realize it and adjust. This is where I first saw the concept implemented.

And, one of these days (rep reference). I'll even bring the 'Castles!

Blade:
    Interesting concept, but: just wouldn't work for bikepacking. For regular trail riding - still not enough capacity and forget it if you needed to do technical downhills! See it as too much of a pain with setup/teardown and cleaning to even want to use it for every day road riding. I'd stick to 2 bottles instead. Maybe good for a metric or US century day though?

Big B's Trails
    [QUOTE=DesertDog;
    And, one of these days (rep reference). I'll even bring the castles[/QUOTE]

I tried +reppin ya but I have to spread the rep love around some more first.
    I dig dirt!