E !

Cool-blue Rhythm member/Group ride ideas

Here goes another one of my bright ideas that will probably never see the light of day. How about all of us that post on here meet up for group rides once in a while. I was thinking of something along the lines of meeting once a month on a weekend day. Like for example the first saturday of the month. Then the real hard part would be getting everyones available hours to ride so we can adjust it to the most possible riders. 8AM? afternoons ? what not. I was also thinking rotating the trails by the months from bootleg/cottonwood/cowboy trails or wherever else. Last would be ride length/time. maybe about 2 hours per ride? We can even rotate ride planners to suggest trail route ideas etc.. Guess we can try this format.
    Interested?
    1-Day of the month?
    2-Start time?
    3-miles/time/route ideas?

represent YO!
    the - E - dog

desert dweller
    I've been thinking the same thing. BARTA used to meet the 3rd Saturday each month and alternate trail work and riding. It would be fun to set up a basic ride schedule -- and I could put it on the BARTA site as well.

1) Third Saturday
    2) 6:30am Summer , 9:00am Winter
    3) Route Varies according to weather
    4) Throw in an official night ride with KROB every other month or so.

matt

mtbr member
    Hey, we already have one of those. I organize it every month. Where have you been?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Sunday is my only day off, time and location open. Can bring 2-3 more riders with. Great idea!

Neal

E !

January

O.K. I guess we can all put in request. Then i hope to start up the rides for the new year. keep the ideas coming.
    the - E - dog

occasionally good
    Quote Originally Posted by E !
    O.K. I guess we can all put in request. Then i hope to start up the rides for the new year. keep the ideas coming.
    I know most of you guys are from Vegas, but any thought to riding elsewhere when the weather is more MTB-friendly? Plenty of good riding around Ely and Reno/Tahoe... we even have a bit of it here. A northeastern Nevada loop with rides in Ely, Lamoille, Austin could be fun.
    Don't ask me a question unless you really want to hear what I think.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    i'm in

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountaingirl1961
    I know most of you guys are from Vegas, but any thought to riding elsewhere when the weather is more MTB-friendly? Plenty of good riding around Ely and Reno/Tahoe... we even have a bit of it here. A northeastern Nevada loop with rides in Ely, Lamoille, Austin could be fun.
    Agreed. We should have an Ely and/or Elko mini-gathering next summer sometime. Mid to late june is usually ideal. Snow has mostly melted and the wild flowers are in bloom.

desert dweller
    I always get a little riding in Carson City/Tahoe area each year. Summer next year sucks for me though. With our baby due in the end of June I'll be Vegas locked for most of the summer.

Maybe a couple of quick getaways to lands north in July or August after the arrival would work for me. I also didn't want to go to Summer Camp for our Scout Encampment next summer either.

mbb

occasionally good
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob
    Agreed. We should have an Ely and/or Elko mini-gathering next summer sometime. Mid to late june is usually ideal. Snow has mostly melted and the wild flowers are in bloom.
    Let's hold that thought. I rode Ward Mtn and the Ruby Crest Trail both last summer in June/July, and the flowers were amazing. I have never ever seen wildflowers like we had on the Crest Trail last summer.

That new connector on Ward makes for some fast 'n' furious fun for youse guys. Bet the Vegas crowd would get a large kick out of that one... once they stopped gasping for air because of the altitude...

E !

c'mon now

Any ideas from the regulars?

mountaingirl. As far as getting up north. I know Redmon's shuttle service runs irregular intervals throughout the year.
    Price per ticket is a soft pillow and warm hand. LOL!
    This is getting outta hand...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by E !; 12-07-2005 at 11:00 PM.
    the - E - dog

Spoke-n-Spoon Junkie
    Price per ticket is a soft pillow and warm hand. LOL!
    This is getting outta hand...
    Nice sheets...........I think Redmon is going to try and bribe me with Dead Guy Ale! Now he has moved around the corner from me and sends his friend over to work on his bike just to see if my girlfriend is home.......Gettin' creepy.

Sure, I'm in and I think we should do something like this FOTP

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...07#post1384507

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmitchell

Ah yes. The Flight of the Pigs in Phoenix looks like a very cool event. It would be fun to do in Vegas, connecting Cowboy trails to Cottonwood then over to Bootleg. We'd need a new creative name though.... any suggestions? How about, "Spooners Unite!"
    Last edited by KRob; 12-08-2005 at 03:28 PM.

E !

There is a smaller ride

Quote Originally Posted by jmitchell
    Nice sheets...........I think Redmon is going to try and bribe me with Dead Guy Ale! Now he has moved around the corner from me and sends his friend over to work on his bike just to see if my girlfriend is home.......Gettin' creepy.

It is no FOTP though. It is called the blue diamond epic!
    Where were you at man? Let me guess, cuddled up under the sheets. HAH!
    the - E - dog

Spoke-n-Spoon Junkie
    It is no FOTP though. It is called the blue diamond epic!
    Where were you at man? Let me guess, cuddled up under the sheets. HAH!
    Why, oh why, did Redmon ever have to start this......................

We'll call FOTS then, and dandle spoons from our seats

p.s. I would have been the one holding the camera

Young, Shawn Young
    You guys are out of control! I would definetely do some road tripping to the northern part of the state. I figure by spring I'll have the new house mostly squared away so I can take some long weekends for riding. Im going to start sleeping in my truck cause I dont trust you bastards! Besides, the spooning was all Beagles(Matt) idea!!!!!!!

Shawn
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

Spoke-n-Spoon Junkie
    Yep, another perfectly good post ruined by a silver spoon.......

Since we are on the topic......the previous owner of my Trek 8500 had fabricated an anti-chain suck device out of a spoon. It's a shame I took if off. Maybe I'll give it to Redmon for Christmas.

Could someone please do a search and find out the first person who mentioned "spooning" in the Nevada forum please?

occasionally good
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbikeboy
    I always get a little riding in Carson City/Tahoe area each year. Summer next year sucks for me though. With our baby due in the end of June I'll be Vegas locked for most of the summer.

Maybe a couple of quick getaways to lands north in July or August after the arrival would work for me. I also didn't want to go to Summer Camp for our Scout Encampment next summer either.

mbb
    You guys will like our part of the world in July and August - you don't have to ride at 6AM to enjoy yourself!

L1MEY
    Sounds great to me Harry's weekend day off switches to Sunday next year, so if the rides are scheduled on Sundays that would be great. Saturday would work for just me though... except tax season where I have to work some Saturdays

Either way, I'd like to get some group rides in... I learned from the Blue Diamond epic that I have enough stamina for rides of that length, I'm just slow as hell. I need to start riding with other people so I can improve.

- Jen
    Ride like a girl!

occasionally good
    Quote Originally Posted by mahgnillig
    Sounds great to me Harry's weekend day off switches to Sunday next year, so if the rides are scheduled on Sundays that would be great. Saturday would work for just me though... except tax season where I have to work some Saturdays

Either way, I'd like to get some group rides in... I learned from the Blue Diamond epic that I have enough stamina for rides of that length, I'm just slow as hell. I need to start riding with other people so I can improve.

- Jen
    I would too and for the same reasons you've stated, although I feel fairly intimidated about it because I'm so slow! That whole old lady thing. Perhaps I'll watch the rides you're doing and we can be slow and try to improve together!

E !

That's what the groups are all about

I would too and for the same reasons you've stated, although I feel fairly intimidated about it because I'm so slow! That whole old lady thing. Perhaps I'll watch the rides you're doing and we can be slow and try to improve together!
    I like the group rides just to meet the other personalities of the other riders. It is not a race or about how awesome you are at riding. Just a friendly get together. The more experienced riders know to expect to take a longer/slower ride time and just have fun. The only draw back for the slower riders is that by the time you get to catch your breath the others are allready off to ride again.
    As i side note i probably am the slowest of the group i usually ride with but, i do have the endurance to keep up. Ride with REDMON he will make you faster!
    Or else you might have to pay him back in a special way LOL!
    the - E - dog

occasionally good
    I like the group rides just to meet the other personalities of the other riders. It is not a race or about how awesome you are at riding. Just a friendly get together. The more experienced riders know to expect to take a longer/slower ride time and just have fun. The only draw back for the slower riders is that by the time you get to catch your breath the others are allready off to ride again.
    As i side note i probably am the slowest of the group i usually ride with but, i do have the endurance to keep up. Ride with REDMON he will make you faster!
    Or else you might have to pay him back in a special way LOL!
    It would be fun to meet the faces behind the avatars, that's for sure, and if you guys are OK with poky people it would be nice to meet you all. Since I have *no* ego tied to my riding I'm really fine with getting dropped by faster riders (really!) I do get to Vegas on occasion, so will keep an eye out for group rides and see if I can schedule accordingly. Next scheduled trip will be in March for Red Rocks Rendezvous. If the weather's good and the schedule works perhaps I can finagle a few days of riding, too.

Generally, though, I get my business in Vegas done as quickly as possible and point my truck towards St. George. MMMMMM...... Gooseberry......

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I would love to participate in a group ride up around here (Elko) or around Ely. I am stuck riding alone so much.. that would be a nice change.

occasionally good
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugdawg1
    I would love to participate in a group ride up around here (Elko) or around Ely. I am stuck riding alone so much.. that would be a nice change.
    Anytime you want to go, Pugdawg, I'm game! Right now I'm pretty seriously into ski mode, but when the ground gets a bit harder I'm certainly up for a spin.

BTW, have you found the Elko Velo Club yet? Also - I am working with some local folks and a friend from Ely to get some Ruby Mountain singletrack built - watch this space.

www.elkovelo.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Anytime you want to go, Pugdawg, I'm game! Right now I'm pretty seriously into ski mode, but when the ground gets a bit harder I'm certainly up for a spin.

BTW, have you found the Elko Velo Club yet? Also - I am working with some local folks and a friend from Ely to get some Ruby Mountain singletrack built - watch this space.

www.elkovelo.com
    Sounds good! And yah.. I ran across that site last summer/fall, it's in my favorites.. I check it periodically to see if there's anything new on there. I hope you are successful, concerning the singletrack. That would be awesome.

Spoke-n-Spoon Junkie
    Gee, just a few more post and we might have the longest thread ever on the Nevada forum, well at least this page...........

occasionally good
    Quote Originally Posted by Pugdawg1
    Sounds good! And yah.. I ran across that site last summer/fall, it's in my favorites.. I check it periodically to see if there's anything new on there. I hope you are successful, concerning the singletrack. That would be awesome.
    I'll post something in this forum when we get an area approved. Right now we're looking at a few possibilities in the Rubies - Harrison Pass area, over towards Secret Pass, also a trailhead potentially at the mouth of Lamoille Canyon heading across the foothills to other drainages. We have a ways to go with NDOW and the grazing permittees, but the ball is slowly rolling. The guys from the Velo Club want to do some more construction in the Lamoille Summit area - we'd need to do some land exchanges to make that happen, but that's on the distant screen, too.

dirty hippy mountainbiker
    I'm in. I've heard enough about your riding out there to make the drive.

The night riding in Reno is good. Spun up into a cloud last night on keystone!

-M
    Mike Henderson, Dirty Hippy Mountain Biker and part owner of Jet Lites.

occasionally good
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfy
    I'm in. I've heard enough about your riding out there to make the drive.

The night riding in Reno is good. Spun up into a cloud last night on keystone!

-M
    That could be cool! I was riding that area this time last year - it was a bunch o' fun. Never made it up to Poeville, though, too much snow. I liked the up Evans/down Keystone loop a bunch.

Right now there's better singletrack in Ely than there is here, so if we're going to do a NV gather I'd vote for that. Or Tahoe - I've never ridden there and I understand it's epic. Or both!

However - you know what the Crest Trail is like. When we get some Ruby love going it's going to be absolutely spectacular. There's enough non-wilderness terrain there to give us some incredible options.

Members who have read this thread: 0