mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Las Vegas Cyclery—Say it Ain’t So (my rant)

I brought my daughters’ wheel into LV Cyclery today. I added Stans and was unable to reseat the bead with my floor pump. I requested a compressor fill.

After filling the tire, the guy said “That’ll be 5 dollars.” I laughed and said, “Right.” He responded, “Hey, they have to pay me.” I gave him the five and left. For good.

In all my years of riding, I’ve never even heard of a shop charging to inflate a tire. Tradition calls for a dollar or two tip to the tech (or beers if handy). But a charge? And a charge of $5? At 2 minutes a pump, that equates to $150/hour! (the guy gets paid well).

Now, consider that I’ve recently started using LV Cyclery and have spent over $400 there the past three months and that I have six bikes that need maintaining. That's a lot of potential future tires, tunes, repairs, etc. to lose over $5.

Every business has a right to charge what they want for their services. And consumers have the right to choose where to take their business. I’ll be taking my bicycles elsewhere in the future.

In fairness, no familiar faces were working at the time and I didn’t know the guy who inflated the tire. And he didn't know me. But really? $5 to inflate a tire? Wow.

Good luck with the new store. With this type of customer service, LV Cyclery will definitely need it.

mtbr member
    Yeah I've never seen my shop charge for some air but I would get an air compressor and then you're set and can use for a bunch if other stuff too.
    "Let the wheels spin."

Big B's Trails
    Did you buy the tire and Stan's from them?
    I dig dirt!

Proud American
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaFred View Post
    Did you buy the tire and Stan's from them?
    If the answer to this question is 'no'..... you have no case. They are there to do business. They are not a soup kitchen. You used their time and resources.

Weapon of Choice
    Quote Originally Posted by bluejudad View Post
    If the answer to this question is 'no'..... you have no case. They are there to do business. They are not a soup kitchen. You used their time and resources.
    Well looks like they wont be getting any more of his business, seriously that is a lame charge.

Super Unknown

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    If you didn't buy the tyre and stans there, or if you did and the guy didn't know it, they were fine.

Five minutes to use their industrial grade machinery which you don't have at home? That sounds completely reasonable and kind of ******y for you to complain about it, considering your other obvious solution was to buy a compressor or go to a gas station and have people look at you like you were crazy.

Specially as considering inflating a stans tyre often involves white gooey stuff leaking onto their floor.

This is like someone going to Kinkos and complaining that they get charged more than 15 cents to send a fax.

\m/ \m/
    I got my air compressor from Sears, you should too.
    13' Lynskey M290
    13' Venge Pro Force
    13' Crux Elite
    12' Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    OP, So let me get this straight....

You walked into a bike shop that is always AT LEAST 1 or 2 days out on repairs and they tried to help you right away...?? And then, there was a fee attached to this service...?? Damn businesses and their stupid fees....and how dare them let you cut all those people who are willing to pay for repairs.

Like Womble said, I am sure this had to be a "mess possibility" charge.....I am extremely curious as to what bike/tire/and rim OP is converting for his daughter. For some reason, I am picturing a 20" white wall and chrome rim....?? OP...?? and ....let us know if the tubeless conversion held please.

One thing is for sure....I will make certain to ask them "what their deal is..." tomorrow when I am in there to have them press the headset into my new frame.
    Last edited by HalFliP; 05-13-2012 at 09:17 PM.
    The more you ride it, the lighter it gets.
    '12 Santa Cruz TallBoy
    '11 Vassago Bandersnatch
    '08 Specilaized Pitch Pro

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Smile

Easy on my rant, guys.

I did buy my last bottle of Stan's there, but not the tire (it's my daughters bike, lives elsewhere, I was not converting, just adding Stan's as maintenance).

As previously, stated I had just started bringing my business there and had spent significant cash last few months.

I don't have a compressor and rarely need one. Typically I can reseat with floor pump.

Been around a while and have gotten air at many shops over the years in many different cities and I have never even heard of charging. I've been on trips where I needed various tweaks and wandered into shops, had work done and not been charged (but always tipped). I'm not looking for a handout (it's $5), just some coolness.

Take your business where you like. It's my opinion, based on this experience, that Las Vegas Cyclery's policy is contrary to cycling tradition and demonstrates that their priority is short-term gain rather than reputation. In my opinion it's bad business (but it is their business).

There are lots of shops around these days and I'd be surprised if Bike Shop, Broken Spoke, Nuvision, McGhies or even Pelaton would charge for air.

Don't rain on my rant. It feels so good.

Lone Wolf McQuade
    I should be out riding....

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    My compressor cost about $60 and I use it more than I would have thought. If you stop going to LVC that will be one less oportunity for my bike to come off the stand for a walk in request (which LVC does regularly and is one of the reasons that I go there). I think they will be fine, I have always had a good experienc. If $5 is a deal breaker I think that you will eventually be dissapointed at any of the shops in town. I can understand the frustration I guess.

Young, Shawn Young
    I dont think five bucks is going to break anyone here. I think the issue is does the store want to create/keep a loyal customer. I think its a bit silly to charge to seat a bead on a tire when the goodwill from doing at no charge would probably create customer loyalty for life. I worked retail for many years and I understand how busy the day is and how interruptions happen throughout the day. I would have tipped the five spot anyways but I think we all long for that perfect bike shop that you read about in bike magazine.
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

desert dweller
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmon View Post
    I dont think five bucks is going to break anyone here. I think the issue is does the store want to create/keep a loyal customer. I think its a bit silly to charge to seat a bead on a tire when the goodwill from doing at no charge would probably create customer loyalty for life. I worked retail for many years and I understand how busy the day is and how interruptions happen throughout the day. I would have tipped the five spot anyways but I think we all long for that perfect bike shop that you read about in bike magazine.
    Ding, ding ding! Winner!!! It's one of those charges that's listed on the wall that nobody in their right mind would actually follow through on. I'm going less often to shops now because they are squeezing a bit too much out of customers. And yes I'm still steaming about paying $200 for an XTR front derailleur at a local shop last summer when I cold have gotten it online for $90.

mbb

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'm with wingforward on this one too. It's based off principle and customer service. Do your business elsewhere. I would. I've gone into REI and they stopped what they were doing and spent a good 15 minutes with me removing and replacing new locks on my Yak rack because I didn't have my master key. I spotted the guy some cash and I will return there. Simple common sense.

Warrior's Society
    Think it has more to do with asking them to set the bead on a tubeless tire. Not always an easy quick job.

Had you asked them to simply fill up a tubed tire, probably would have been an issue.

Keep in mind that you are paying them because they have the equipment that you don't. That compressor they have wasn't free to them.

Takes about 5 mins to press in a headset.....would expect them not to charge you for thy as well?
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

Not just a case of... "can you inflate this tire" .

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbikej View Post
    Think it has more to do with asking them to set the bead on a tubeless tire. Not always an easy quick job.

Had you asked them to simply fill up a tubed tire, probably would have been an issue.

Keep in mind that you are paying them because they have the equipment that you don't. That compressor they have wasn't free to them.

Takes about 5 mins to press in a headset.....would expect them not to charge you for thy as well?
    I was just in there this morning for something and was talking to a couple of the guys who happened to be involved on that fateful day. They said that the gentleman was helped and that the charge was incurred because it took about 5-10minutes (time and tools while other customers were waiting for assistance) to get the bead set on that tire. Part of the issue was that the stem was clogged with Stan's and other gunk and had to be cleared in order to get it inflated.

While I was in there 2 customers came in asking about flats....one guy was quoted prices and said he will return Saturday, ...the other's tire was broken down, issue diagnosed, then promptly fixed. That Lady paid and left without rolling her eyes, huffing or even puffing.

Op also admitted that he could not reset the bead with his floor pump....so, off to the shop where there are people who are willing to help and have the experience and resources to do so. Sure, you need air in your tire? That should be free.....but, don't expect someone to break down your tire/wheel, figure out the issue you were having and then fix it for free.

What's the big deal....sounds like you were going to throw him a tip anyway...?? Right...??
    The more you ride it, the lighter it gets.
    '12 Santa Cruz TallBoy
    '11 Vassago Bandersnatch
    '08 Specilaized Pitch Pro

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    now i understand. you couldnt get anymore stans through the valve stem, so you broke the bead and poured it in, and the floor pump let you down. the tech didnt know who you were, broski. they get pestered all day long with people coming in with flat issues. that is why the "bike shop" has a walk up do it yourself air hose handy. had he appreciated that you really are a debonair cat, as he should have, he would have realized that even though it was minor pain in the anus, it will pay off in spades in future mechanical service fees and minor parts/assessory purchases. or, if like most people that do the work, but dont have a financial interest in the business, maybe he charged you because he was in the mood to.

banned
    I see wingforward point on this one and i understand and see the lv cyclery (employees/supporters here) point as well, any lbs has the right to charge what they want for any service , thanks to his story , i now know there is a charge , now it is my decision whether to go there or not for air, on the other hand i am a huge supporter of lbs's , and wont let this one incident sway me one way or another, good luck to lv cyclery , im sure ill need emergency service sometime in the future and they might be the only shop in town with that service or part.....pick your battles people, we are spoiled here in vegas to have so many bike shops !!!