mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Las Vegas Bound - Now Where To Ride...?

I'm going to be in Vegas for a trade show Sunday April 30th through Tuesday May 2nd for a trade show. After the show ends on Tuesday, I was thinking about riding Wednesday and Thursday and then flying back out East home to Rhode Island on Friday.

Last October I flew out to Moab for a week and loved it. Is there anywhere in the Vegas area that is anything like the technical riding I did in Moab similar to Captain Ahab or Porcupine Rim trails? I'm free Tuesday afternoon late to rent a car, rent a bike and get a room near the trails. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to ride, where to stay, and where to rent a bike? All for two days? Also, are the trails safe out there? Meaning the people I'll run into...not the technical part of the trails themselves....? I can handle the drops. It's people I worry about.

Anytime. Anywhere.
    Bootleg Canyon in Boulder City is ridable from All Mountain Cyclery | Las Vegas Bike Shop in Boulder City, NV and Bootleg Canyon. All kinds of trails, all fun. Rocks are all pointy so bring your pads.
    I got some bad ideas in my head.

Weapon of Choice
    If you like to ride technical trails, Bootleg canyon will deliver. I also recommend Cowboy trails on the West side of town Summerlin area and Sw ridge a few miles to the South of that.

Super Unknown

mtbr member
    Check out the Red Rock/Cottonwood area. There are tons of trails out there. The heat probably won't be that bad in April.

Search Trailforks, MTB Project, Geoladders for routes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Thanks for the advice guys. I'm Googling all of these places and setting up now.

mtbr member
    I am heading to Boulder City later today. Plan to ride Bootleg Canyon tomorrow. Will likley stop at AMC to get more trail advice.
    "Never let the facts get in the way of a good story."
    Mark Twain?

mtbr member
    Yep. Cowboy trails and Bootleg Canyon. The DH trails on Charleston may even be clear of snow by then.

Yes the trails/trailheads are pretty safe in my experience. I remember coming back from a night ride once out at the Late Night TH at like 10:00pm and was a bit worried but didn't see any sketchy types hanging around. All the trailheads are far enough out and on the nicer side of town to discourage most of the criminal types.

mtbr member
    Had a good time at Bootleg on Saturday. The temperature was perfect, the trails were very dry and thus very loose. Knowing the trails better may have helped, i.e. ride them in the optimum direction.

Here is what I did let me know what I did wrong as I may be going back at some point.
    I rode Girl Scout to Inner Caldera which I rode clockwise. Once looped back I rode up Caldera to Ernies Epic, Called Mother on Trailforks, I then rode Ernies all the way to Mother and back to my car.

Suggestions for a better ride?
    "Never let the facts get in the way of a good story."
    Mark Twain?