Short-Change-Hero

Kings Canyon to Ash Canyon Connector - No NV

So things are finally moving forward on the long talked about Kings Canyon to Ash Canyon Connector trail. Meeting last night went well and final steps are being finalized to start the trail work sometime this year. This will be one of our great trails as it will connect the great, fun string of trails in Ash Canyon to Kings Canyon which can then be linked up to multiple place in Tahoe (for a loop even).

Public Trails Meeting | Bike Carson

Here is what the trail will look like with an approximate 1100' of elevation gain.

GoogleEarth_Image by renofizz, on Flickr
    Inbred 29r (Purple People Eater)
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)
    Bikes for Boobs F*ck Cancer! One too many, 6/24/13. Miss ya ma'.

weirdo
    That looks like a pretty nice route in its own right, not even counting the fact that it`s a connection. Whopping big project, though. Greg, I`m only semi familiar with the area on that map. Is any of that ST existing? There are a few roads labeled there- Darling, Waterfall, and "old roadbed". Do you know if the connector route would incorporate them, or are they only noted for reference? The blog says six miles of ST, so I`m wondering whether the whole route six miles, or six of a longer "X" would be new ST.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    hi guys,

i've been meaning to post here for a long time about the kings/ash cyn trail but have been a tad busy.

greg - thanks for spreading the word.

ryr- the alignment, and a few of road names (not really meant for public consumption, but no biggie if it's out there) was created by me for easy reference when discussing the trail with our partners: cc, usfs, gbi.

the trail will be 7.2 miles long including two out-and-back overlooks, and will utilize approximately 3/4 mile of waterfall rd. muscle powered, the local advocacy org, has been working on this project for six years. We broke ground on june 29th and we have approximately 2000ft of trail completed. gbi, one of our partners, have completed approximately 1000ft of trail in very difficult terrain - rocky and fun.

if you would like to be involved in the project please contact me and i'd be happy to include you in the volunteer crew e-mails. jeffpotter@musclepowered.org

thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kings Canyon to Ash Canyon Connector - No NV-img_1878.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images      

Short-Change-Hero
    POTTER!!!! It's Greg, the guy you always see on the Purple Inbred 29er!
    Glad to see you guys are making good progress, I had talked with Darlene Schlange about joining up with you guys and have been watching muscle powered but just haven't had the time (hell I haven't been on dirt since my last race in June/July). Hopefully things will start claiming down for me and the wife soon so I can get up and help out some!

Great job on the trail!
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    It looks like someone has ridden the last mile of it already:

Strava Segment | Kings Canyon Rd Climb

I know it's being maintained by volunteers and there's still a lot of work to do. Are any segments officially ridable yet?

Thanks guys!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Hi Brenton,

Thanks for asking!

No, the trail is not open for public use. Some individuals are even making it difficult for crews by removing barricades that are intended to block access. If you would like to be informed of trail work dates please contact me at jeffpotter@musclepowered.org.
    We expect to have the trail complete in 2014.

Strava: By looking at the map and ride data I believe the KOM is on the last mile of Waterfall Rd. which ends at a log deck used during the Waterfall Fire salvage operation.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Short-Change-Hero
    Thought I would throw a little update on this.

Unfortunately, the trail is not yet open but the team is close to completion. From what I have last heard they are about 3/4 of the way done (Ash Canyon to Kings side) and are anticipating being done by the end of the fall season 2014. This is a primarily volunteer built trail with some help coming from BLM and other outside agencies so the progress is slow at times. But progress is being made and the original anticipated timeframe for this trail completion was between 3-5yrs (depending on contributions, volunteer time, moniez spent/earmarked for professional crews, etc.) so we are looking at close to the 2yr mark for this!! I have walked a short section of the trail and it is looking to be a great trail that will add functionality, challenge, and most of all FUN to the great network of trails in North Carson City.

Potter put out a nice recap of the 2013 trail building season on Muscle Powered Carson City | Citizens for a Walkable and Bikeable Carson City so if you want some more detailed information you can look there.

Please note that this is still a CLOSED trail and there are multiple obstacles that have been placed across trail access point SPECIFICALLY to keep riders out. If you want to experience the trail, setup some time with the musclepowered crew on one of the trail work days so that we can get this trail finished and OPEN!

EDIT: You can also find updated photos on MusclePowered Flickr account, under MusclePowered.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks for the update Greg. And thanks for sending people to our site!

A little clarification: The BLM is not involved with thous project as most of the trail is on land managed by the FS. Our build partner is Great Basin Institute which oversees the Nevada Conservation Corp (NCC). NCC crews will be back this season to complete the trail with Muscle Powered.

Also, we don't mind the public using the trail we just ask that you carry your bike over the logs. We had to use overkill with the log barriers because motos poaching the trail. The logs will be removed once our bridge is installed, sometime in Sept, and the entrance to the Creek trail is realigned to merge with the new trail.

Feel free to contact me if you want to get involved.

Thanks,
    Jeff

Short-Change-Hero
    Thanks for updating Potter... Always get the FS and BLM mixed up for some reason. Any plans on posting trail building events on the website? Need to get my butt out there and help some.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I'll post the work dates soon, though if you would like to receive trail work email notifications send me your address and I'll add your name to the list.

Thanks!

washed-up moto guy
    Awesome stuff! The terrain in that area is perfect for trails.
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster" - Greg LeMond

Disclaimer - I work for TrainerRoad

Short-Change-Hero
    Soon as it is rideable I will have to dust off the GoPro and do some trail footage.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Looks awesome. I'm in Verdi but work in Carson. I'll look forward to trying it when it's done.

mtbr member
    I have walked quite a bit of this trail and it is amazing. I can't wait to ride it. Great job and keep up the good work. My in-laws have a house in Carson City so if we are ever up there when you guys are doing work, I'm sure my father-in-law and I can chip in on some of the work.

Short-Change-Hero
    Just got the email from Jeff that first trail work days of the season will be next weekend. I had the opportunity to ride the completed sections of the trail this weekend and all I can say is this is an epic trail. The design and thought that went into every aspect of the trail is completely top notch!!!! Buddy that rode it with me said it is one of the best trails he has ridden this side of downieville and Ashland and can't wait for it to be finished.

But a word to the wise, there is A LOT of climbing we did 1600+ ft of elevation gain in our ride. So this is one trail you work to get to the top but the reward of the downhill makes it all worth it!!!

There are some pics on bikecarson.com and when I am at a normal computer I will post the strava for it.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

washed-up moto guy
    Looking forward to it Greg! Thinking of sneaking in a quick one down there Friday PM.

Short-Change-Hero
    If you do J, let me know (pm me and I will send you my number). I have friday off this week and am kind itching to give it a go again.

Here is the aforementioned Strava.

Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Mtb Powder day with some hero dirt near Carson City | Times and Records | Strava
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

washed-up moto guy
    Sounds good Greg!

Short-Change-Hero
    Saw you rode out there but you didn't do the new section? Looks like you did Cap-Auto trail instead. Has come good "training" climbs in there. How was the dirt, when I went last weekend after the rain/snow it was packed incredibly well. Couldn't have asked for better.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

washed-up moto guy
    Yeah, I ended up going down with a team mate that needed a slower pace. We ended up crunched for time so we passed on the connector.

Trails were great though! Love that area.

Short-Change-Hero
    Figured I would throw a quick update.....
    Still lots going on with the trail, not officially open as of yet but the plans still seem to be that it will be finished within the next couple of weeks.

I personally went and rode the trail a few weeks back (wild hair one morning and just kept going) and at that point, other than a small 100-150yd section that the trail was cut but not burned in resulting it a Hike-a-Bike it is pretty much complete. This was a ride from my house to the TH then up through the trails and up the new trail. Coming from the Ash Canyon side they have done a great job but two things: be prepared for some continuous, steady climbing and bring plenty of water as it is almost completely exposed to the Kings Canyon side.

The trail has been very nicely done, switchbacks are all great except for one that was so tight that I actually had to walk it. I ride a longer 29r so this is part of the issue, but the other was that the top/corner of one of the switchback went up against a boulder which made the turn incredibly hard if you did not get up on the boulder. Minor gripe, but there really wasn't anywhere else that they could have really gone with the trail, so it is what it is. Grade/pitch for the trail is very acceptable but offers a continual climb from one side to the other (last time I registered the elevation I was at 6700ft and that is maybe 1/4 of the way in), so you will need some climbing legs but nothing overly bad. Plenty of sections are more than wide enough to allow riders to pull off however there are a few sections that are quite narrow with drop on one side so just be conscious of your surroundings.

I seriously cannot wait for the trail to be completed, all bridges in and what not. It will make for a great longer ride that is on a single continuous trail.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

Short-Change-Hero
    Figured that I would throw an update out there on this. Trail is officially complete with 1 of 2 bridges complete and the final bridge is currently being built with the weather the way it has been. Since the last post I have ridden it a couple of times and still one of the best longer trails we have in our area. Though a lot of it is exposed once you get up out of Creek Trail so I would recommend this to be an early morning or late afternoon/evening ride once temps start to climb.
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)

Short-Change-Hero
    Well went out and did part of the connector on 2.21 and found the bridge on the Creek Trail (Ash Canyon) side 80% complete. Talked with one of the trail builders and he was saying that the rest of the bridge would be finished up and the lead up to the bridge would be finished within the next week or so. With the warm winter we have been having it has allowed the crews to get A LOT done on the trails and really putting the finalized touches on everything. I have not been up to see the finalized bridge as I was traveling for work all last week but hoping that this last storm's snow will melt off on most of the trails by mid-week to allow for some riding (one of those weeks where multiple buses are being thrown my way.....bastards).

Once I do I will grab some pictures and post them up. Cannot recommend this trail enough for everyone and hopefully will have a Strava tracking of it from the South side (Kings Canyon) to North side (Ash Canyon).
    HH Thumper (Blackheart)