mtbr member

If you're traveling across NV on US 50....

over the next few days keep an eye out for Z.

I met this charming Chinese student bike touring across America last night when I got home from work. My wife had met Z and invited him to stay at our house last night as he was passing through Ely.

He started in Boston a couple months ago after graduating from college. He left our house this mornig heading west on US 50 with the ultimate destination of San Francisco.

Really nice guy. Really self sufficient. But if you happen to see him on his route west (Eureka, Fallon, Carson City, South Tahoe, etc) toot your horn and wave or stop and see if he needs water or anything.

SAM_0485

mtbr member
    I would glady if i was part of his route.

I'll be riding US 50 from tahoe to Baker Utah next month and i thought that was something, hell it fails in comparison.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nvphatty View Post
    I would glady if i was part of his route.

I'll be riding US 50 from tahoe to Baker Utah next month and i thought that was something, hell it fails in comparison.
    That sounds like plenty to me. FWIW, Baker is still in Nevada (barely).

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by KRob View Post
    I met this charming Chinese student bike touring across America last night when I got home from work. My wife had met Z and invited him to stay at our house last night as he was passing through Ely.
    Cool! And very nice of you and Mrs Rob

I want to plug in a little free spam for Home | Warmshowers.org
    If you`re familiar with couchsurfing, WS is similar, but limiited to bike tourers. My wife and I have been registered with them for 4 years now, though only had one "customer" due to being off the beaten path as far as that stuff goes. They have literally thousands of members around the word, including several in Reno, Vegas, and Carson, but the middle of NV remains a host desert- one in Winemucca, one in Elko, and one in Round Mountain, of all places. There are actually quite a number of riders who cross the "Western Express" route from Delta, UT to Tahoe via 50 and on to SF. I`ve used WS for finding overnight parking for my truck (take a lot of weekend tours) and for local expertise on routing info in the western flanks of the Sierra.

Mmmm... tasty, Phatty. Camping or going to grind it out in one epic marathon? Hope we get a ride report.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Mmmm... tasty, Phatty. Camping or going to grind it out in one epic marathon? Hope we get a ride report.
    This particular event is fully supported through Bike The West, Welcome to Bike The West and affectionately named Oatbran. Given it's a road ride i'm not sure it would be acceptable on this side of the isle or not however I could certainly do one on the sister site where the skinny tire folks hang.
    Last edited by nvphatty; 08-19-2013 at 10:57 AM.

weirdo
    Oatbran looks like a lot of fun. They used to offer a camping option for less cash, but I guess it was too much PITA for the organizers.
    Given it's a road ride i'm not sure it would be acceptable on this side of the isle or not however I could certainly do one on the sister site where the skinning tire folks hang.
    I`m pretty sure the mtbr bylaws allow road pics if they feature 50. Let`s see...
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Recalculating....

weirdo
    Survived OATBRAN, Phatty?
    Recalculating....

mtbr member

basin & range

If you're traveling across NV on US 50....-stud.jpg
    Survived OATBRAN, Phatty?
    yessir i did in fine style. Mid 30's temps early morning was the worst weather we had over the 5 days. We had both tail and side winds but no head winds so very thankful for that.
    Lots to ponder and learn while out on the loneliest road whilst plodding along @ 19mph thats for sure.

weirdo
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stud.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	146.7 KB 
ID:	836597
    Nevada at its finest
    Glad you enjoyed the trip! No headwinds- can`t beat that.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Nevada at its finest
    Glad you enjoyed the trip! No headwinds- can`t beat that.
    Most would agree that traveling east of fallon becomes the sweetest part of the state especially when doing the climbs to each summit with the various pine trees, wild habitat which we saw little of but always keep an eye out for. I highly recommend it for anyone considering a multi day tour.

weirdo
    I`d love to make the trip. Seriously considered it for this fall, but ended up riding the Puget Sound because I couldn`t work out the logistics for a 50 crossing. Either have somebody spend two full days shuttling me or add almost 200 miles in order to start at the nearest bus stop (Provo), which would have been too much for one week of vacation. Nevada is in serious need of some kind of real public trans system.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    I plan to take part in 2015 again just to see what i didn't see (if thats possible)