Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

I think this is the earliest I've experienced trail burnout.

Usually by late summer I'm starting to get tired of the same old local trails and start really jonesing for something different.

This year, as soon as the race was done and I got all the course markings cleared I was already starting to feel it.

Some of this is due to the fact that the dry winter got us onto the trails a lot earlier this year (in fact there was only a month or two maybe that we couldn't ride them).

Some of it is due the fact that we haven't added any new trail in a few years.

I've tried mixing things up by taking different routes to the trail and riding the trails in different directions and combining loops differently.

Any other suggestions to help get me over this funk?

keeptrollintrollintrollin
    Build some trail

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Go faster
    14 S-Works Epic WC
    14 Yeti ARC
    14 S-Works Crux Disc
    15 Echo Carbondale

Weapon of Choice
    I know, come join me on a Cowboy trails ride this July 9th am ride!

Super Unknown

Young, Shawn Young
    Stravs
    Buy a new bike
    buy new tires
    new MTB clothes
    tell everyone in Ely to wear goggles for a week to guard their eyes while you go on a road trip!
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    What race? Here in town? Where do I find out about races in town?

Lone Wolf McQuade
    I think a ROADTRIP is in order

Matt
    I should be out riding....

mtbr member
    ride the trails on the oldest bike you have, and then use your main bike
    Keep The Rubber Side Down

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman69 View Post
    I know, come join me on a Cowboy trails ride this July 9th am ride!
    Some Cowboy trails stoke would get me out of the rut for sure..... but that sounds hot.... and that's a Monday. That's not gonna fly. Thanks for the offer though.

Check back with me in September or October.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by codyh12345 View Post
    Build some trail
    You know, I knew someone would suggest that. While I do build new trail occasionally and I've currently got a couple projects in the works, it is tough to do in the hour or hour and half that I have to ride in the mornings before work. It takes that long to get to where I'm building.

I'm always a little discouraged after spending three or four hours working on a trail only to find I've accomplished very little and what I have accomplished doesn't seem to work/flow very well. I need some trail layout training.

There are a couple of features I've been working on, on another trail that I need to get back to and finish. Again, not really enough time in the mornings, but that's a good suggestion for a weekend.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by irishpitbull View Post
    Go faster
    That always ups the excitement level..... on the downhill. It just hurts more on the uphill.

Results
    Last edited by KRob; 06-28-2012 at 12:43 PM.

mtbr member
    Get a GPS or download Strava on your Iphone or Android phone. Then you can create segments or race against existing segments. Makes me go faster and push harder on the same trail to see if I can get a "KOM" (King of the Mountain) or "PR". Keeps riding the same trail over and over a bit more exciting.
    Craig Manning | Cyclist in Reno, NV | Strava

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmon View Post
    Stravs
    Buy a new bike
    buy new tires
    new MTB clothes
    tell everyone in Ely to wear goggles for a week to guard their eyes while you go on a road trip!
    I like how you think, Shawn.

Still haven't signed up for Strava but that might be a good way to add interest to the same old (but really fun) trails.

I posted on the AM board about how to best spend my Birthday/Father's Day money and saving for a new frame was one of the options but surprisingly was only endorsed by one respondent. I did order some new brakes and a couple things for my son's bike.

Beagle and Rob are trying to talk me into a road bike. That would add three new "trails" to my inventory (The three highways heading out of town). What they lack in technical features they make up for in distance. LOL.
    Last edited by KRob; 06-27-2012 at 09:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kdonks View Post
    What race? Here in town? Where do I find out about races in town?
    Fears Tears and Beers Enduro in Ely.

Fun race. You should come up next year.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beagledadi View Post

Matt
    Quote Originally Posted by Redmon View Post
    Tell everyone in Ely to wear goggles for a week to guard their eyes while you go on a road trip!
    Absolutely! I'm thinking Mammoth/Tahoe/Downieville. Who's in?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. D View Post
    ride the trails on the oldest bike you have, and then use your main bike
    Winner winner. That's a great idea, Kelly! I took the scouts mountain bike riding a month or two ago and after using all my bikes to equip the boys properly, the only one left for me to ride was my wife's old GT Palomar fully rigid boat anchor.

What a hoot. I'd forgotten how directly connected to the trail a rigid bike can be... The stuck down seat post and the howl of the canti brakes trying desparately to stop me was priceless. I can't remember laughing so much on a bike ride.

You've got me pumped to dust off the old Hammerhead and take it for a spin tomorrow morning.
    Last edited by KRob; 06-27-2012 at 09:51 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    Get a GPS or download Strava on your Iphone or Android phone. Then you can create segments or race against existing segments. Makes me go faster and push harder on the same trail to see if I can get a "KOM" (King of the Mountain) or "PR". Keeps riding the same trail over and over a bit more exciting.
    Craig Manning | Cyclist in Reno, NV | Strava
    Ok. I'm going to STRAVA right now and sign up.
    KRob--------> Now signed up on STRAVA

Hey! I'm already stoked. I uploaded some old tracks from various rides and found that I was ranked third on the Portal descent in Moab from a ride back in 2008. Can't even remember if I was trying to go fast.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the help guys. I had a great ride this morning on my 2001 Hammerhead 100x with my Garmin in tow.

I uploaded the ride to Strava here and even created a new segment that more accurately shows the Fears Tears and Beers Stage 1 timed section.

KOM so far!! (Only one other person has uploaded this segment exactly as shown)

For those who've raced the FTB I'll be going over all the segments and establishing them more accurately and naming them FTB stage 1, Stage 3, etc. over the next few weeks.

The only one that already showed up on Strava as a descent was stage 11 (Whorehouse Hill). Everything else listed was just the climbs.

The old Hammerhead was fun to ride. I still really love this bike. The only things that felt really awkward were the narrow bars (I've converted to the wider-is-better camp), the not so great brakes, and the loooong stem. With wider bars, a bit shorter stem, and a dropper post I think I could still post faster times with the HH than the 5 Spot.

Edit: The other revelation from this morning was that the WTB Rocket V is still the most comfortable saddle I've owned.

File photo circa 2004:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by KRob; 06-27-2012 at 04:32 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by beagledadi View Post

Matt
    i concur. i know boise isn't exactly a hop and a skip, but i was just up there last week and they have AMAZING cross country trails (and probably some good downhill too)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by digidelia View Post
    i concur. i know boise isn't exactly a hop and a skip, but i was just up there last week and they have AMAZING cross country trails (and probably some good downhill too)
    Looks like good stuff digidelia. I haven't been to Boise but I was thinking it's time to get back to Sun Valley/Stanley Lake area.

I rode up there once on a family reunion probably 10-12 years ago and didn't even scratch the surface. Literally thousands of miles of amazing singletrack That area is only 5-6 hours from Ely (same as Moab... a bit closer than Tahoe).

Good suggestion. Thanks.
    Last edited by KRob; 07-01-2012 at 01:23 AM.

mtbr member
    sun valley is a great place too, i cut my teeth on the trails up there as a kid.

go shuttle bald mountain!

mtbr member
    Kent nice hammerhead, I wish my ol backup bikes looked like that.

I rode my daughters $300 diamondback at Bristlecone last weekend and just rode my new 2011 Turner
    5 spot today on the same trail. I was loving life...
    Keep The Rubber Side Down

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. D View Post
    Kent nice hammerhead, I wish my ol backup bikes looked like that.

I rode my daughters $300 diamondback at Bristlecone last weekend and just rode my new 2011 Turner
    5 spot today on the same trail. I was loving life...

Well, it doesn't look quite like that anymore. Notice the date in the bottom right hand corner. But it is still a nice bike..... way better than my wife's GT Palomar that I rode on the scout outing. In fact it kinda had the opposite effect as far as making me long for my 5 Spot. It actually reminded me of a few of the things I don't like about the Spot that I'd kinda been getting used to.

I wish my 2010 would break so Dave would send me a brand new 2011 or 2012 like he did you. Lucky!

KRob----->Looking for bigger drops to take the Spot off of.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Wanna borrow the road bike??

IDEA!! swapping the Turner for the Orbea for a few days. I rode to McGill a few weeks ago, It was nice to ride out, then the *&%$#%** ing wind started and it was a tough ride home to make it to work on time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcdds View Post
    Wanna borrow the road bike??

IDEA!! swapping the Turner for the Orbea for a few days. I rode to McGill a few weeks ago, It was nice to ride out, then the *&%$#%** ing wind started and it was a tough ride home to make it to work on time.
    My brother once took off towards McGill on his road bike, flying along with a good tail wind and ended up at Lages in like 2 hours (like 60 miles)! When he turned around he realized his mistake. I think he ended up calling my folks to come pick him up.

Now that it's rained all the old trails are new again. Might be fun to try a road bike though. Do I have to take my visor off, wear spandex, and shave my legs?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast