mtbr member
    Dec 2012

How are the trails for hardtails?

How are the trails in the Las Vegas area for hardtail bikes? If I have a budget to get a low-end full suspension or mid-line hardtail (both used), is there a clear choice based on the type of terrain that is out here (rocky?)

mtbr member

Hardtails? Depends on which trails you ride, your skills, how much you hate yourself etc... The majority of bikes out here are full suspensions.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I would opt for a decent hardtail over a low end full suspension. There are many trails that are great for hardtails. Cottonwood has tons of fairly smooth flowy trails that don't beat you up. Heck, even Bootleg has lots of XC trails that would be just fine on a hardtil. Low end FS bikes are just plain heavy and inefficient. I'm old enough in the sport to remember when no one had a hard tail and most people (including me) even rode fully rigid bikes. Go for the hardtail and ride it lots.

Young, Shawn Young
    Im riding hardtail on all the trails out here. Get the better bike for now. You will notice plenty of HT bikes out on the trails.
    "Im just going to explore a little bit..."

Dont make me be the bad guy...

Do I need a pass to ride this trail?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    All I ride is a hardtail and I've ridden nearly every trail in town. You don't NEED suspension for anything. There's always someone who will show up on a rigid single-speed and make everyone look like a wimp anyways.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    It's only really bad when a 12 year old girl on a rigid single speed passes me.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by davidlax12 View Post
    How are the trails in the Las Vegas area for hardtail bikes? If I have a budget to get a low-end full suspension or mid-line hardtail (both used), is there a clear choice based on the type of terrain that is out here (rocky?)
    Buy the bike with the better components. There's NOTHING that can't be ridden on a hardtail!

A hardtail will teach you better bike handling,then when your ready to upgrade,you'll know what type of riding you want to do more of and what bike will suit you best.

Jacques-Pierre-Sebastien
    I agree, hard tail with better components will keep you smiling on the trails. Once you clear a 5-7 ft jump, start looking for a full suspension! All that matters is that you have fun going down... and back UP!

banned
    hardtail, f/s , whatever you feel comfortable with, cwood has every trail for hardtail,

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I'm a hardtail xc type rider. I used to be a full suspension guy, but unless I plan on getting into downhilling and taking big hits I'll stick with the hardtails. I like the simplicity, weight, price, and direct power delivery.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I'm having a harder time with my tires than anything closely related to suspension.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I ride this one everywhere, it has a 5in fork and 2.4 tires....lots of fun!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails How are the trails for hardtails?-img_0692.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AntagonistHero View Post
    All I ride is a hardtail and I've ridden nearly every trail in town. You don't NEED suspension for anything.
    then why have front suss if you don't NEED it??

\m/ \m/
    Those who related a hardtail with better components are correct.

Currently I'm exploring our trails with my cross bike.....
    13' Lynskey M290
    13' Venge Pro Force
    13' Crux Elite
    12' Co-Motion Speedster Tandem

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    There's really nothing in Cottonwood that can't be handled with a rigid. I'm out there pretty much every weekend in the early morning on a fully rigid. 2.35 Panaracer up front and a cheapie 1.95 knobbied tire in the back. Keep pretty low inflation so it absorbs the bumps and grabs better on climbs. And of course pick your lines with care. Riding rigid, for me, is about its ability to climb and nothing else. Hard tails and FS blow me away on the downhill.